Kids, Battery Operated Vehicles and Gasoline
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Kids, Battery Operated Vehicles and Gasoline

I don't know why I remembered this this morning but it's a true story and thought I would pass it along. Probably ten years ago a family that lived about three miles down the highway from us lost it's mother and their little boy who was out playing in his dad's garage. He picked up his dads gas can and pored gas someplace on his battery operated toy vehicle, probably pretending he was gassing his vehicle like his dad did his. The little boy got in his toy vehicle after he pored gas in it or on it, and hit the toy vehicle's gas pedal and the toy vehicle burst into flames killing the precious little guy and his loving mother, who tried to save him. If you have small kids make sure your gas cans or any flammable liquids are not stored where your kids, your grand-kids or their friends can't get at them.

Re: Kids, Battery Operated Vehicles and Gasoline

Good tip. My cans are high for a reason. only I can reach them
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    2015 AHP Tig
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    ViperMig 180
    Razorweld, SSC Foot Pedal & MK Products & Atlas Positioner Dealer

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    Good tip. My cans are high for a reason. only I can reach them
    Good on you Gamble. it's a very important safety issue for those that have small kids, small kids get into everything.

I NEVER keep gasoline in an enclosed area, PERIOD.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaJoe View Post
    I NEVER keep gasoline in an enclosed area, PERIOD.
    You park your cars outside always? What about your mower?

I have a handful of gas powered machines in my garage, plus two metal gas cans.

My children have known since they were very small, that they cannot enter without being invited in.

while you are on the topic of gasoline there are plenty of both household sprays and ones out in the shed or garage that are just as flammable that the vapor mixed with a spark can create a disastrous fire for a child, the sprays and smaller containers are probably more dangerous as a small child can better carry and access them.. go one step further and see all the poisons( sitting on shelves and in cabinets) and YOUR MEDICATIONS that your kids see you take everyday, that if they want to be like mom or dad or even a big sister or brother will take them to be like you..and last lets not forget alcohol or the drugs you use..I have seen many ODS on children from that..more than being burned or hurt from legal stuff around the house..
    Last edited by Hobbytime; 06-14-2017 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
    You park your cars outside always? What about your mower?

I have a handful of gas powered machines in my garage, plus two metal gas cans.

My children have known since they were very small, that they cannot enter without being invited in.
    Yes, and yes. Six cars, two generators, three lawn mowers, one weed wacker, one edger and two gasoline camp stoves are all outside. Some under an awning or an open car port and some not. And I've had gas leak from cans and I've seen demos of what a gasoline fume explosion can do so I don't take a chance with them inside of any building. I'd rather have to replace gas cans occasionally than replace a building and the contents. And also oxy/acetylene and benzamatic torches are under an awning too and not inside. NOTHING that can leak explosive fumes goes inside. Oh and add parts washer to the list of outside devices since it has some diesel fuel, kerosene and oil mixed up in it. Oh, and add my 5 gallon bucket of Ed's Red and my five gallon bucket of turpentine/wax mix that I use to treat wooden handles with too. ALL of it stays outside.

I have children and I can tell you that telling them NOT to do something is frequently a waste of time. I was mowing one day and after I finished I told them not to touch the engine on the mower because it was hot. They both immediately reached over and touched it and both of them got nice burn to show for it. Sometimes, no frequently, they have to learn things the hard way! Children are like that and they stay that way until about age 40 in case you haven't learned that yet.