How to tip this safely - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: How to tip this safely

Piano movers. Insured. Experienced. Cheap. Had pianos moved before. Removed from house, down stairs, in the truck, hauled to new house, up the stairs. $200. That tank is is a cake walk to them.
    Ryan

Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

Well I got it on its side. Used physics. 500 lb object standing up, weight on humans zero. One end a fraction of an inch off the ground, 250 lbs on humans, 250 resting on ground.

Built a wooden sled to slide down steps. Tired a pair of 2x4s horizontally across bottom of sled near the top. One person on each side, need to be able to lift half of that 250, so 125 each.

Started tipping unit unit each person had about 50 lbs of weight. Readjusted grip to be able to lower onto dolly.

On command in 2 seconds went from 50 lbs to 125 and then to zero when it was horizontal.

Next step, get some scrap plywood down on grass and roll to side of house and into doorway. Then down steps using pulleys.

Back onto dolly, to other side of basement, off of dolly (low headroom) and stand up in corner.

Total cost $25 worth of 2x4s (which will get used on something else down the line)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    Lincoln Invertec V205-T Tig/stick
    Millermatic 211 Mig Welder
    Speedglas Adflo PAPR 9100 FX-Air
    CertiFlat FB2430 fabBlock U-Weld Kit Welding Table
    FW3012 CertiFlat fabWing 30" X 12" Extension Table

Nice Job!
    Egyptians used similar principles to build Pyramids!

Glad to hear your move was without incident.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

I would just tilt it slightly, like a one degree tilt, away from you, and roll it where you want it to go. If it seems unstable slowly put it down.

We used to roll dirt and metal filled 55 gallon drums weighing as much as 800 pounds. Sometimes the rim on the bottom of a drum that was damaged would kink a little but we would roll them into a trailer headed for the disposal site.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    I would just tilt it slightly, like a one degree tilt, away from you, and roll it where you want it to go. If it seems unstable slowly put it down.

We used to roll dirt and metal filled 55 gallon drums weighing as much as 800 pounds. Sometimes the rim on the bottom of a drum that was damaged would kink a little but we would roll them into a trailer headed for the disposal site.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    Unit is 28" wide and 68 inches tall. That's a lot bigger than a barrel. Getting any sort of leverage on this big guy is a challenge.

Lincoln Invertec V205-T Tig/stick
    Millermatic 211 Mig Welder
    Speedglas Adflo PAPR 9100 FX-Air
    CertiFlat FB2430 fabBlock U-Weld Kit Welding Table
    FW3012 CertiFlat fabWing 30" X 12" Extension Table

I would hire a professional moving/rigging company. If you insist on doing it yourself, make some steel straps to go around it. A couple of 16 gauge x 3" straps with angle iron ends welded on would probably be enough to handle it securely. Drill holes through the ends and hook them together with bolts. You could even stick an eye bolt between the ends to give you something to latch onto.
    America Needs AMERICA'S Oil!!!

"Global warming is the greatest scam in history ...There is no run away climate change. The impact of humans on climate is not catastrophic. Our planet is not in peril."--John Coleman, Founder of The Weather Channel

If the tank is sturdy, no big drama here.

Back in the day, when I used to deliver LTL freight, I'd often encounter people that didn't have loading docks. And I had 55gal drums on the trailer for them.

Easy peazy..............get a few car tires(unmounted, not on rims), stack them, and drop the drum off the tailgate onto the tires. The rubber, and trapped air inside the donut, would adequately cushion the drop. Never damaged one barrel in the years I did it. Just make sure you hit the tires dead center, and if you're worried.....lay a tire on each side of the target tires if it rebounds, and rolls on ya.

I was hesitant the first time an old timer showed me how to do it, but it worked.

Once it's on its side, then you can fight it to where ya want it.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

I generally had a dood stand next to the tires, and handle the rebound.

If you're going to use an engine hoist..........

Strap it about 1/3 from the top, lift it, and it will rotate from horizontal, then you can lower it.

If your engine hoist doesn't have enough travel to lower it, attach a come-along to the hoist so that you can have extra travel.
    Last edited by farmersamm; 07-17-2017 at 09:55 AM. Reason: relized he has to go down some long stairs

To get it down the basement stairs.......

Get a couple of come alongs, hook them together so they have a combined travel.

Place a piece of channel, or something, across the doorway overlapping the door jambs, and use it to anchor the come alongs.

I used to pull stuff up a ramp with a come along. Pull it, put a chain on it to to keep it from back sliding, reattach come along to the main strain chain, and repeat. There's always a way. Shame you don't have all that rigging stuff, it's always on hand on a farm.

You should hire a professional, insured moving company to place the tank. The fact that its cement lined, you will break it.
    Miller TrailBlazer 251
    Miller HF-250-1
    Miller MaxStar 150 STL
    HyperTherm PowerMax 380 plasma
    Lincoln PowerMig 180
    Millermatic 252
    Miller Diversion 180

See it was moved on June 24th.................

Quote Originally Posted by henry42 View Post
    Unit is 28" wide and 68 inches tall. That's a lot bigger than a barrel. Getting any sort of leverage on this big guy is a challenge.

Believe it or not the taller it is the easier it is to tip and start rolling it. Drums can be tough because if you pul them to you, you need a long slow strong pull, and you almost have to touch your bottom to the ground which means you could end up with the drum between your legs. To push the drum over is also hard, it is too low to the ground.

But a tall round object rolls nicely, very much like a tank of Argon.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.