How to tip this safely
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to tip this safely

I'm posting this to the safety forum since I know that I can dangerously do this (no, I have no plans of doing that).

So here goes.

I've purchased a 480lb cement lined water tank which was delivered a couple of days ago. it's 68" tall and 28" in diameter.

It's currently sitting on a 30"x30" wooden skid (which is pretty much falling apart)

I need to get this down to my basement and then standing up in the corner where it will hopefully live for longer than I do.

There are no lifting hooks or attachment points provided and it somehow needs to be put into a horizontal position and then rolled around from my garage door to my side entrance where it then needs to be slid down the steps, into the basement, into the approximate position and then stood up.

The standing back up is the easy part (I think) as I can attach a come-a-long to the ceiling joists and pull it upright after attaching a sling near the top.

However, getting it to tip over on it's side is where I'm at now. Once on the dolly I think that it won't be too hard to get to the top of the basement steps and with some sling straps under the bottom I think that I can get it safely down the steps. I have no plans to let anyone be under it while it goes down.

And, yes, it's cement lined, so dropping it will probably destroy it.

Here's a picture of what it looks like.
    Name:  2017-06-17 13.07.49.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  64.2 KB

I've bought 4 10' 1/2" threaded rods to make up a cage for it with doubled up 2x4s at each end and 4 800 lb ratchet straps to keep it on the tank so that I can get some "grab" points.
    Name:  2017-06-21 15.09.11.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  30.2 KB

Just need an idea as to how to get the tipping started and what to attach it to so that it can be lowered down.

Ideally, a gantry rig on wheels could be used, but as I don't have one, or access to one, I'm still scratching my head.

This is one of those times where having a forklift, crane, or anything else with power would be helpful but living in suburban America, that's not going to happen.

And I don't know enough 7'-6" 350lb weight lifters (I do know one) to help.

Re: How to tip this safely

Rent an engine hoist, wrap a sling around the middle of the tank, lift it and lay it down. You can make a sling from strong rope and use a square knot to make it the desired length. The engine hoist could probably be used to stand it up in the basement.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Hobart G-213
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

There are large stair climbing 2 wheel dollies that can be rented.

They are generally used for moving huge gun safes etc.

Or, call a moving company and hire two of their guys to move it for you.

All other redneck solutions can be done if you want, but the danger to people and the item is high.

In the long run, safety is cheap.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    Rent an engine hoist, wrap a sling around the middle of the tank, lift it and lay it down. You can make a sling from strong rope and use a square knot to make it the desired length. The engine hoist could probably be used to stand it up in the basement.
    Mike
    great idea -- could use an engine hoist anyways, so good excuse to buy one.
    Lincoln Invertec V205-T Tig/stick
    Millermatic 211 Mig Welder
    Speedglas Adflo PAPR 9100 FX-Air
    CertiFlat FB2430 fabBlock U-Weld Kit Welding Table
    FW3012 CertiFlat fabWing 30" X 12" Extension Table

Drum dolly? Or 2 strong folk and lifting straps?

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    There are large stair climbing 2 wheel dollies that can be rented.

They are generally used for moving huge gun safes etc.

Or, call a moving company and hire two of their guys to move it for you.

All other redneck solutions can be done if you want, but the danger to people and the item is high.

In the long run, safety is cheap.
    I looked into the stair climbing dolly and can rent one but was not sure if it would work as I have to move it from the garage to the side door and it's up an incline with two steps and not much space to maneuver.
    Called a moving company and they wanted $600 to do it and probably would have sent two huge goons who potentially would drop it.
    Redneck is the way to go IMHO

Call your local professional piano movers!
    Those guys have the skill and equipment to move heavy awkward objects.
    That tank will be nothing for them.
    My wife posted on Craigslist that she would pay $200 for someone to move 3
    huge pieces of dining room furniture from our garage, halfway around the house, up 2 sets of steps,
    halfway across the house into the dining room.
    Two guys that moved pianos professionally came out on a Sunday and had it all moved, setup and leveled
    in about 45 minutes.
    They were insured and bonded.

Best $200 dollars I've ever spent!
    Last edited by rexcormack; 06-21-2017 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by henry42 View Post
    I looked into the stair climbing dolly and can rent one but was not sure if it would work as I have to move it from the garage to the side door and it's up an incline with two steps and not much space to maneuver.
    Called a moving company and they wanted $600 to do it and probably would have sent two huge goons who potentially would drop it.
    Redneck is the way to go IMHO
    If they drop it it's insured.

The piano company is a good idea too.

Redneck is the worst idea for this one in my opinion - but I wish you luck with it and hopefully it all goes safely.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

I moved a 500lb gun safe into and out of a basement with a standard refrigerator dolly. And 2 big guys helping. It wasn't as bad as it sounds.
    Lincolin Power Wave 450, Lincoln Powermig 255, Lincoln Pro Mig 140, Lincoln Squarewave Tig 275, Miller Big 40 G(with Hobart Hefty suitcase), Thermal Arc 95S and Esab PCM875 in an already full machine shop.

I dropped an 800 lbs ironworker when the chain on the engine hoist broke. At least it was horizontal...not what I wanted.

I'm posting this to the safety forum since I know that I can dangerously do this (no, I have no plans of doing that).

So here goes.

I've purchased a 480lb cement lined water tank which was delivered a couple of days ago. it's 68" tall and 28" in diameter.

It's currently sitting on a 30"x30" wooden skid (which is pretty much falling apart)

I need to get this down to my basement and then standing up in the corner where it will hopefully live for longer than I do.

There are no lifting hooks or attachment points provided and it somehow needs to be put into a horizontal position and then rolled around from my garage door to my side entrance where it then needs to be slid down the steps, into the basement, into the approximate position and then stood up.

The standing back up is the easy part (I think) as I can attach a come-a-long to the ceiling joists and pull it upright after attaching a sling near the top.

However, getting it to tip over on it's side is where I'm at now. Once on the dolly I think that it won't be too hard to get to the top of the basement steps and with some sling straps under the bottom I think that I can get it safely down the steps. I have no plans to let anyone be under it while it goes down.

And, yes, it's cement lined, so dropping it will probably destroy it.

Here's a picture of what it looks like.
    Name:  2017-06-17 13.07.49.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  64.2 KB

I've bought 4 10' 1/2" threaded rods to make up a cage for it with doubled up 2x4s at each end and 4 800 lb ratchet straps to keep it on the tank so that I can get some "grab" points.
    Name:  2017-06-21 15.09.11.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  30.2 KB

Just need an idea as to how to get the tipping started and what to attach it to so that it can be lowered down.

Ideally, a gantry rig on wheels could be used, but as I don't have one, or access to one, I'm still scratching my head.

This is one of those times where having a forklift, crane, or anything else with power would be helpful but living in suburban America, that's not going to happen.

And I don't know enough 7'-6" 350lb weight lifters (I do know one) to help.
    what are you gona use it for? foes it have a coil in it to heat the water or its just going to be a storage tank?

Since it's a water tank there should be tapped openings in it. You can screw in short nipples to keep the straps from slipping off. A couple of 2 x 12 cut to the length of stairs works great for sliding tank down. A hold back should be used
    As for tipping use two nylon slings choked on opposite sides. Lift with one device high enough to pull bottom up so as you lower the tank goes horizontal. If you are unsure lay down some tires only ( no rims ) as safety. You maybe able to use a single sling and do the same. Check and see where the tapping are positioned for safety

You're going to need muscle power. 4 big guys. How much did this thing cost?

If you go the engine hoist route...
    Make sure the arm is in as far as you can go with it...
    The second it reaches the "Tipping Point" its going to want to "Take Off" and may make the hoist unstable..
    Have someone over 200 lbs stand on the legs.

Makes a major difference.

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    what are you gona use it for? foes it have a coil in it to heat the water or its just going to be a storage tank?
    Yes it has a coil. Model name is Alliance 119 Sl. The 119 is the capacity and Sl stands for stone lined and it's used for indirect domestic water heating. Only looses .39° an hour.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Since it's a water tank there should be tapped openings in it. You can screw in short nipples to keep the straps from slipping off. A couple of 2 x 12 cut to the length of stairs works great for sliding tank down. A hold back should be used
    As for tipping use two nylon slings choked on opposite sides. Lift with one device high enough to pull bottom up so as you lower the tank goes horizontal. If you are unsure lay down some tires only ( no rims ) as safety. You maybe able to use a single sling and do the same. Check and see where the tapping are positioned for safety
    It has a single 1-1/2" brass nipple on the top center and another one low down on the side. However, the manufacturer warned against using them due to the weight. There's also a flange for the coil but manufacturer is worried that any pull there could prevent it from sealing properly.

Quote Originally Posted by zapster View Post
    If you go the engine hoist route...
    Make sure the arm is in as far as you can go with it...
    The second it reaches the "Tipping Point" its going to want to "Take Off" and may make the hoist unstable..
    Have someone over 200 lbs stand on the legs.

Makes a major difference.

...zap!
    I'm thinking of fabricating a gantry. Would be very useful to have one and be a good excuse to weld. I'm thinking 4" square tubing for the legs and an i-beam for the horizontal. Just have to get an engineer pal to work out the gauge for the legs and size of the I-beam. Then all I need is a trolley and a hoist. May cost as much as paying to have it done but I get to keep the gantry.

How did it get there? What does the manufacturer suggest? Apparently lift from the bottom with no lifting appendages. Is laying it down recommended? Pallet jack? If you have access load it on a uhaul or wrecker and drive it to the basement.

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    How did it get there? What does the manufacturer suggest? Apparently lift from the bottom with no lifting appendages. Is laying it down recommended? Pallet jack? If you have access load it on a uhaul or wrecker and drive it to the basement.
    Came on truck with a lift. Guy lifted it with a pallet jack and rolled it into the garage.

If it were only 2-300 pounds it could be done by two men. But at 500 pounds there just no room for error.

You'd think that the manufacturer could have built it with something to move it around.

Yes it has a coil. Model name is Alliance 119 Sl. The 119 is the capacity and Sl stands for stone lined and it's used for indirect domestic water heating. Only looses .39° an hour.

a problem your gona find is the cement lining is going to coat the coil( copper coil gave the problem and will need to be cleaned on a regular basis) with lots of white crap that will cut down on the heating capacity......I forgot the name of the ones I use to put in till that issue started showing up and the plumbing supply and manufacture both walked away claiming it was the incoming water to the house..is it stainless coil or a removable copper coil, the copper coil was the one giving issues..

imagine something like a dogsled with tipped up ends like a sled so that it can slide down the stairs without hanging, 2 strong men can tip that and set it up again after u get it in place, a refrig dolly and hand cart under top handle end will do same thing 2 sixpacks of favorites(theirs) and your done buck

500 lbs ? Call a few gyms and ask for power lifters....not the tranny Ahhhnold type steroid wimps. 2 powerlifters will grab that thing and put it wherever you want it. Giv'em $50 ea and a 32 oz porterhouse.
    4 of us moved my 800 lb Jet brake into my carport by hand.Lifted it off a flatbed truck, carried it in. Old farts but 200 lb ea aint really a lot when it has to be done. We're just farm boys. Not pro lifters
    Last edited by Bonzoo; 06-22-2017 at 04:54 AM.

You need to find someone that rents these stair climbing, powered dolly's. Safe, secure one man operation.

Name:  Dolly.png
Views: 500
Size:  18.3 KB

My neighbors have a rental water heater. Saturday it sprung a leak. A private contractor in an unmarked truck arrived with the new one. Two young men scurried around preparing while a 400 lb. man watched. He pulled the wheeled hand truck up the stairs with the old heater. The young guys prepped the new one, and he lowered it down the stairs.

The toughest part of the job was the three of them squeezing into the cab of a regular cab pickup.

I hope it's a heat pump. I lowered my water heating consumption by 75% changing to one.

Water tanks are pretty fragile. Don't be too rough on the jacket, use the right hand truck.

Willie
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Thing is a 55gal barrel stand that is curved. You put it upright against the barrel, strap it and tip it on its side. Even a standard refrigerator dolly with the roller track behind the wheels will handle going down stairs with that. I had a 350lb woodstove that I strapped to a soft tire dolly and moved it out onto the porch. A guy from work bought it and showed up with his brother. They rolled it down the steps, one slow step at a time till they got down. I lifted it into the truck with a skid-steer. When they unloaded it, 3 of them lifted it off over a pile of tires in case they dropped it.
    Point is you maybe over thinking this.
    BUT! I still think a Dolly and leaving it upright is the safest and best way to go.
    Stair-Stepper is how the new woodstove went up and if I thought I could rent one, I would do it in a heartbeat!