Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement? - Page 5
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement?

Yeah,

I get your sentiment. But I wasn't debating infrastructure, as it's irrelevant to me.

But Everlast has no "misleading flash wording written by marketing experts" anywhere that I've ever seen. And I've looked high and low, so to speak, over much or most of their sales text, unit descriptions, and PDF manuals over the past few years. My impression is that Mark (a fellow WW member here) does most of the PDF manuals, and he or some of the other Everlast do all the other Everlast text.

I mean, I think I recall some uninformed people posting here or on YouTube that they thought the Everlast feature known as Advanced Pulse or MixTIG was just a gimmick. But there really is something to it, as I've recently learned for myself, on my 210EXT, even though I neglected to experiment much, until I had my unit for over 3 years. Their comments were something like, if the feature was any good Miller would have included it.

Of course, Kemppi (as do other European and Asian brands), of Finland, includes MixTIG on their most advanced AC/DC TIG units, of which are some of the very best on planet Earth.

So, I think Everlast does often get unwarranted disparaging remarks in those and other areas, without cause, and may be why I'll sometimes channel my inner Rebel/Scapegoat to champion their cause, at no charge, and as a Public Service to the English-speaking welding world, even though I'm just a novice with aluminum AC TIG.

Last edited by C. Livingstone; 03-28-2018 at 04:51 PM.

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter

There are plenty problems with other brands. You just don't know how to Google specifics. The reason you see more issues is that we offer mainly online sales. The first place net savvy people go to complain about a welder they bought on the web....now get this...are you ready for it? THE WEB. For guys who buy locally, they complain locally and those few that find their way online complain eventually. Quite simple. Since more online sales have happened online with Miller, and Lincoln (and their direct marketing approach recently) you have seen a dramatic increase in online complaints and issues.

You sound like Hillary Clinton talking about why she lost the election because white females were told by their husbands who to vote for. If you think people are compelled by what we say, then you drank your own kool-aid. Buy what you want but you've said enough. What is your point anyway. Not much, I expect, except to try to make yourself feel better about your own misguided purchases.

Again, you choose to use the pejorative "Chicom". There is nothing more chi com about our welders than ESAB, Lincoln, or Miller who build there.
    Last edited by lugweld; 03-28-2018 at 09:01 PM.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

So...

This seems to be one of those never ending Ford vs. Chevy type debates that never seem to end but really this thread is supposed to be about helping someone get their welder up and running again.

So I'm asking the OP, any luck with the trouble shooting now that the wire is replaced? Does the front panel show any signs of life? Does the fan turn on? If everything is dead and the breaker doesn't trip when the machine is turned on it is most likely an issue with the control side of things and not the actual inverter side of things. When a capacitor or mosfet/IGBT lets go it tends to go out with a bang and the breaker trips. If everything is lifeless when you flip the switch it is most likely an issue with the little power supply that runs the controller and the fan but that is just a guess without more info on that particular welder.
    My "collection":

Homemade Stick Welder
    Victor O/A Torch
    AC 225
    Ideal Arc 250

HF 90 Amp Flux Core
    HF Mig 170
    Solar 2020 Plasma Cutter
    Power i-Mig 140E
    Harris O/A torch
    HF Dual Mig 131
    140ST
    Alpha Tig 200x

I want to dispel a few more myths briefly, and clear a few things up that have been repeated and quite frankly lied about by some of these posters here to the point of lunacy. Then I could care less what is said, false or otherwise. People have turned a simple post into a personal crusade of their own.

First, I want to say the customer who initiated the thread, called in and was offered a generous discount on a unit. After talking further with Alex, he went further than his conversation and asked me to tell the OP that he'll be more than happy to offer a full 20% discount on a new 250EX, including shipping. With shipping, that's a deeper discount than anyone gets I can assure you, even dealers who pay their own shipping, unless a large volume requirement is met.

Now,
    1) Our units currently meet ETL and ROHS and have for many years now. Previously they met the EU standard CE (and still do in our machines on market there). ETL is the oldest such company in the US to do this type of testing and research. This is Edison Testing Labs. Every ETL machine is tested to the same standards as UL and CSA. The units undergo a pretty extensive, and costly testing. Not only are these units tested and evaluated, every part is documented. We have to supply a full list of parts and components to ETL, including part numbers vendors etc. These vendors must then also supply information and specs about their subcomponents (and tested for safety/reliability) if the sub components if the sub components have not been previously ETL tested. If they are not in compliance then the parts cannot be used. A lot goes into ETL certification of a product, which involves announced and unnanounced factory inspections. Records can be pulled, assembly lines visited and items retested and re-evaluated randomly. Any deviations will result in certain loss of the ETL certification and the process starts over. Take NOTE! This means that we have to submit full and detailed schematics for each and every unit we test and send through. These schematics are recorded and used to determine if any deviation or change has taken place There is a revision process though, which involves further testing, but if I understand correctly a little less expensive as long as the parts meet ETL/UL/CSA standards. But then new schematics must be completed and evaluation, documentation, and even detailed pictures internally and externally are taken. We've rarely needed to exercise that option. Suffice it to say, this a long, drawn out process, taking months to complete on average.

2) We easily beat any other imported welder companies (by that I mean companies that either are resellers only, or rely only on imported product 100%) with our warranty, policies and support. No one of these such companies come close in our capability or size, or documented support.

3) Our company has seen high single digit or double digit growth every year since I've been involved. Right now, we cannot keep up, fast enough even though since we began manufacturing in our factory in 2008, we've increased capacity significantly...they can't unload them fast enough and stock them.

4) For what it's worth, those are NOT stupid unsuspecting customers as some people try to play it. We sell welders to every body from "rocket" ship builders to people deep into the motosports/racing industry. We sell lots to Union halls, schools, universities and students. Gun smiths, entrepreneurs of all sorts, pipeliners, and oil rigs are among them as well. Beginners and seasoned pros.

5) No, our units aren't everyone's cup of tea. Those people that like to send way more money to the IRS each month than they need so they get a huge tax return would not be our typical customer. The person who buys more insurance than they will likely ever need would not be our typical customer. A person who likes to buy at Macy's and pay 100.00 for the same item they can buy at Walmart for 67.98 would not be our typical customer. Nor would the person who believes that Miller and Lincoln are still US made 100% be our typical customer. For sure, a person that buys expensive items for the prestige of being able to buy it, would not be our typical customer. But you know what? They may not be typical customers, but in each of these categories, we have exceptions of course!

6) People act like they need to "protect" people, and act like a big, biased brother demonizing Everlast and other companies that aren't red or blue, telling people little green demons are under every rock Get over it. People can think, read and research for themselves. In this day, full info is a few thumb presses away. Buyer beware, indeed! Buyers are way smarter these days, and little gets by them. As far as searching...that is the same as researching. I believe the question was asked why should one have to search? Ummmm.....I don't buy a set of tires without researching how they hold up.

7) If a customer wants a longer return policy, they can easily buy one of our units from Home Depot or a similar place that has one. That is an option. No one forces him/her to buy direct from us. Plus a lot of credit cards offer protection further. If our product goes bad, they can charge it back to us. IF it were that bad, then charge backs would kill us. Think about it.

8) Again, I am repeating this, but to sum up: We have a very active presence in our factories during manufacturing and also when no production is taking place for our product to monitor in addition to ETL monitoring. Simply put, we have boots on the ground. We have long range and short range development plans with the factories. We visit supplier factories and facilities as well. This has been going on since 2010 and has steadily grown as we've worked and developed QA methods and standards. FYI, one of the people we have in the Everlast stable doing this is a former QA manager for a major US automaker. So this is important to us. It has taken time and we will always work to improve things, but someone saying we don't do this is talking out their you-know-what.

9) While we may not be Miller, Lincoln or even ESAB in size or scope, we are growing and making gains in market share. That probably is what sticks in most peoples craw (the ones that can't stand us because they can't comprehend this phenomenon and are feverishly working for our demise, against all hope ). No we don't have the large support network. That's a given. No one has ever claimed that. But we do support our product in a methodical, ever improving fashion. Again, if you like overpaying for the pride of being able to pay more for a marginally better or different product for a perceived level of peace of mind, then you likely won't buy Everlast. We get it. But don't expect us to offer a well priced, excellent welding welder and be able to meet your over demanding expectations either. We are growing. By our very nature, we are going to have growing pains from time to time. As far as our company goes and grows, we offer a lot for the price the customer delivers. But we don't offer everything, not because we don't want to, plan to, or intend to. We don't because there are practical limits. IF you can't handle that fact, then you probably aren't our typical customer.

10) We are about to relocate our facilities at the end of April. All of it is within the same close area, but we are increasing our facility space by about 10 fold. We've already expanded our TN facility to 10k sq. feet, just for service. This does not count vertical space (volume) which is more as well.

Edit:
    11) Oh. Here is a link to our warranty. Notice at the top, the TOS and warranty are located on a very large, visible button. We encourage people to read our warranty. It is also available through other links on our site. https://www.everlastgenerators.com/catalog/stick-parts

For comparison, here is the true blue warranty. https://www.millerwelds.com/-/media/...anty.pdf?la=en

Read, compare, enjoy.
    Last edited by lugweld; 03-28-2018 at 10:21 PM.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Nintendo or Sega? Answer wrong and I'll know you are a loser and I'll laugh at you next recess. And I won't even know what to think if you say "Atari."

I don't know if the OP is bothering to follow this thread anymore, but I've noticed a couple mentions of that wire getting hot, and checking to see if it got too close to something hot, or if that coil might have gotten hot and overheated that wire because it was close. I'll just say, that wire itself got way too much current through it for some reason. So much current that it got red hot, burnt off the insulation and charred the conductors inside. Something shorted.

Sony PlayStation of course...
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

The machine turns on and I get that initial high frequency spark but I never get an arc. Fans spin up and the display works.

I haven't had time to really troubleshoot beyond repairing the burnt up wires I took a picture of.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain P View Post
    but really this thread is supposed to be about helping someone get their welder up and running again.
    Thanks for offering to help him. I tried to get Mark to help him, to no avail...

Would be great to see Ztg525 get his box working.

Quote Originally Posted by TraditionalToolworks View Post
    Thanks for offering to help him. I tried to get Mark to help him, to no avail...

Would be great to see Ztg525 get his box working.
    I did try to help him. We talked on the phone. Keep repeating misinformation.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    I did try to help him. We talked on the phone. Keep repeating misinformation.
    You haven't helped him at all in this thread and more so Iain started to ask questions that might get him pointed in the right direction.

Misinformation? All people need to do is read this thread to see what you've offered.

The bottom line is Ztg525 has a paper weight. From my view you're sitting on your thumbs and told him that the unit is bad and needs a new motherboard, period. If so, it's a complete loss without getting the motherboard.

You need to bone up on your service, support and people skills. A good support person doesn't bash the competition. A good support person will try to help someone with their unit, even if it's out of warranty, doesn't cost you much to try and help. I think your actions speak for themselves.

If you keep your foot on the pedal does the high freq. keep going or does it flash breifly and then stop? One thing I would try if I were you is step on the pedal and strike the tungsten on the metal like a scratch start tig setup and see if the normal arc starts.
    My "collection":

Homemade Stick Welder
    Victor O/A Torch
    AC 225
    Ideal Arc 250

HF 90 Amp Flux Core
    HF Mig 170
    Solar 2020 Plasma Cutter
    Power i-Mig 140E
    Harris O/A torch
    HF Dual Mig 131
    140ST
    Alpha Tig 200x

Iain, that unit is analog and will shoot HF until the cows come home, even after the arc is initiated for a second or two until the arc is stable. IIRC we tried that as well as mentioning trying stick welding.

TT, we went through a diagnosis process. There appears to be a cascade of failures that relate back to the mother board. So, yes a motherboard is in order. You forget we have history to go on with these units, more experience than your unreasoning mind will allow you to imagine, schematics and more and know what causes failures, the symptoms to look for and what else may happen as a result. Not a first rodeo. These series units which are quite old now, and it is more than an educated guess when we tell a customer it needs to be sent in for service. No, I haven't sat on my thumbs. I've pm'd back and forth and talked with others about it. You are about a half bubble out of plumb here. People skills? Just because you don't get your way, and I don't see things your way, and have the gall to tell you the truth? You don't even know what is going on behind the scenes...and you make all these snap judgements without any real knowledge. It speaks volumes to others about you, even if you don't realize it.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

I stumbled on this thread and just wanted to see what all the fuss was about, and holy crap people like to type!

I kind of skipped to the end but got the point. Turned into another Everlast bashing thread....surprise!

Mark has taken care of me in the past, I give him credit for that, glad he is on the forum, nice guy met him at SEMA. Oleg stands behind his products, tech guys are great and do good work. Hopefully mine can get many more hundreds of hours on it, as long as it makes me money I am happy, end of story.

Sorry to the guy that has a broke machine, been there with out of warranty blue also, any welder that is down is frustrating. Good luck on fixing or whatever you end up getting.
    ESAB Rebels 215/235, Hypertherm 85, Miller 350p, Synchrowave 350 LX, Thermal Arc 185, Everlast 255EXT, Cutmaster 52, TA 252i.

Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    You are about a half bubble out of plumb here. People skills?
    Honestly I could care less what you think, there's a slim chance of me buying anymore Everlast equipment in the future.

Late to the party but this might help with parts.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MMA-...455ab288T0h7AM

Poke around other vendors too might find what you need

Quote Originally Posted by DougAustinTX View Post
    Lug, did you guys ever make the schematics for the units available for repairs? It is one thing to repair a unit with the components being known, but after the parts get fully toasted and burned, it is hard to figure out the exact value of some of the components. It would be good to have at least partial schematics of the sections that typically fail.
    This is where I believe Everlast drops the ball. The schematics for these units should be available and even included in the new sale of a machine, or at least available separately. I have a 14 year old thermal arc inverter that I downloaded the full repair manual for off their site for free. It probably would not be worth sending in for repair but with the manual many of these old welders could probably be repairs very affordably. At least in my dealings with Everlast their attitude is buy a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    This is where I believe Everlast drops the ball. The schematics for these units should be available and even included in the new sale of a machine, or at least available separately. I have a 14 year old thermal arc inverter that I downloaded the full repair manual for off their site for free. It probably would not be worth sending in for repair but with the manual many of these old welders could probably be repairs very affordably. At least in my dealings with Everlast their attitude is buy a new one.
    Don't get me wrong I like my Everlast machines but I also am not under any elusion that when they are out of warranty that they will have much support . I hope they work for a long time and so far I have not had a failure between the 3 machines I have. None are 7 years old yet though. Also 7 years is not old when talking welding machines , even for a inverter. Like I said , I have a 14+ years old Thermal Arc that still functions as it should . IMHO 20 years should not be out of the question, especially for a machine not used day in and day out.

Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    Don't get me wrong I like my Everlast machines but I also am not under any elusion that when they are out of warranty that they will have much support . I hope they work for a long time and so far I have not had a failure between the 3 machines I have. None are 7 years old yet though. Also 7 years is not old when talking welding machines , even for a inverter. Like I said , I have a 14+ years old Thermal Arc that still functions as it should . IMHO 20 years should not be out of the question, especially for a machine not used day in and day out.
    Your expecting machines to last a long time between failures. I think those days ended in the early 2000's. A machine could be 3 years old with 2 hours of operation. Or it could be 6 months old with 1000.

I've got a Lincoln mig, might be 20 years old. Still works just like day one. No fancy electronics, inverters, etc.

Electronics are more prone to failure it seems than the older trasformer based.

Warranties are not geared toward hours run

Quote Originally Posted by madmax718 View Post
    Your expecting machines to last a long time between failures. I think those days ended in the early 2000's. A machine could be 3 years old with 2 hours of operation. Or it could be 6 months old with 1000.

I've got a Lincoln mig, might be 20 years old. Still works just like day one. No fancy electronics, inverters, etc.

Electronics are more prone to failure it seems than the older trasformer based.

Warranties are not geared toward hours run
    I think best way to look at new electronic way is look at you TV and how look they last
    The welder is is dust all day a TV is not in dust

Simple will last longer, I can turn two knobs on the old tech and save money

Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    I think best way to look at new electronic way is look at you TV and how look they last
    The welder is is dust all day a TV is not in dust

Simple will last longer, I can turn two knobs on the old tech and save money

Dave

I agree with the TV reference, but not when it comes to dust. A welder is supposed to be designed for harsh conditions- dust, heat, shards of metal,etc.
    A TV is not supposed to live in that kind of environment. I've worked in a loading dock where they decided they would put in flat TV's to expedite load up/off load processes- the TV's do not last. Heat, moisture, cold, dust, fumes, is not good for electronics.

That said, there are many cases where electronics do survive. I only have to point at the mars rover, or any of the NASA projects.

the difference is cost. Sending a mars rover, a specialty designed over glorified RC car, vs going to walmart and picking up a remote control car and throwing a long range transmitter and a solar panel isnt quite the same thing.

While everything built nowadays have some "chicom" parts, it doesnt make it worse off.
    Going back to the TV analogy, most LED/LCD/Plasma TV failures are due to one not so well made samsung part. (which is not chicom). They used a lower made capacitor on the power board, resulting in the "I cant turn my tv on and the led light is blinking". Total cost savings? A few cents per TV.

But most people didn't harp about throwing away a 800 dollar TV after a year or two.The old one is repairable (I've repaired a few myself). But who repairs electronics anymore? Its a disposable economy, we throw away electronics, ikea furniture, etc. People want the "latest and greatest" even if the old one worked just fine. We spend 500 + on an Ipad, 500+ on a iphone, and after 3 years, the batteries are toast, and we usually end up getting a new one.

these new generation of welders are kinda the same.

I do find it interesting that while miller also went with inverters (other than the dynasty) and have extended it into the synchrowave- the larger synchowaves (250 and up) are still transformers...
    Last edited by madmax718; 06-14-2018 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax718 View Post
    I agree with the TV reference, but not when it comes to dust. A welder is supposed to be designed for harsh conditions- dust, heat, shards of metal,etc.
    A TV is not supposed to live in that kind of environment. I've worked in a loading dock where they decided they would put in flat TV's to expedite load up/off load processes- the TV's do not last. Heat, moisture, cold, dust, fumes, is not good for electronics.

That said, there are many cases where electronics do survive. I only have to point at the mars rover, or any of the NASA projects.

the difference is cost. Sending a mars rover, a specialty designed over glorified RC car, vs going to walmart and picking up a remote control car and throwing a long range transmitter and a solar panel isnt quite the same thing.

While everything built nowadays have some "chicom" parts, it doesnt make it worse off.
    Going back to the TV analogy, most LED/LCD/Plasma TV failures are due to one not so well made samsung part. (which is not chicom). They used a lower made capacitor on the power board, resulting in the "I cant turn my tv on and the led light is blinking". Total cost savings? A few cents per TV.

But most people didn't harp about throwing away a 800 dollar TV after a year or two.The old one is repairable (I've repaired a few myself). But who repairs electronics anymore? Its a disposable economy, we throw away electronics, ikea furniture, etc. People want the "latest and greatest" even if the old one worked just fine. We spend 500 + on an Ipad, 500+ on a iphone, and after 3 years, the batteries are toast, and we usually end up getting a new one.

these new generation of welders are kinda the same.

I do find it interesting that while miller also went with inverters (other than the dynasty) and have extended it into the synchrowave- the larger synchowaves (250 and up) are still transformers...
    Just change a letter NeverLast

The new boards, most do not have coating over board for dust protection

Dave

HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Well, that could be problematic- steel dust is conductive. Minituraziation of welding components spaces things closer than ever before, increasing a chance of shorting out something. Maybe a filter may be an order?

I used to use some stuff called electro clean- designed to clean and degrease electronic circuit boards without harming anything else.

and these are cheap too https://m.grainger.com/mobile/produc...180614173801:s

fan filters. I think I have em on the miller and the hypertherm (cant remember if its on the lincoln). But then again, I also run a jet 350 air filter.

I always strongly recommend that if you do any cutting, grinding, or welding in your shop that you get an air filter (not the home style ones, though they are quite good for home, like the winnex) but a real shop sized one, and also try and duct your welding fumes outside.

edit: this stuff looks like it might be a good yearly cleanout method https://www.theruststore.com/Cortec-...BoCDh8QAvD_BwE
    Last edited by madmax718; 06-14-2018 at 01:45 PM.