Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement? - Page 3
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Everlast 225LX repairs and/or replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by TraditionalToolworks View Post
    Isn't it good that some companies do still give to the public domain? One of the problems I've noticed is how little the Chinese contribute to the public domain, they are a very secretive culture. In many cases they will use what is available, for their gain, and not show their own work.

What if companies like Siemens stopped contributing their work to the public? What is Phillips hadn't contributed their sound work in the 50s? What if PARC didn't contribute so much for the user interface on computers that they had?

I wonder when we'll see some big contribution for ANYTHING from China?

EDIT: Oh wait, are you saying that because we can buy these cheap inverters is China's contribution to the public domain?

Why don't they give schematics out on their welders then?

TT

No- I definitely think The imported Chinese welders Should be Supplied with full schematics Period

-Even if they have to be sold for a higher price just because of it.
    IdealArc Tig 300 300 ( Mag Amp control)
    Idealarc Tig 300 300 ( SCR control) on loan till owner needs it back
    Chicago Electric Power Mig 150
    Lotos Ltpdc2000d plasma/arc/tig
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene torch set

Quote Originally Posted by Iain P View Post
    What I mean is that for what I paid for it I am impressed with it. If I paid more for it I'd expect some things to be a little better. I paid $250 for a welder and got $250 worth of welder. I'm impressed with the Lincoln 256 I have at work for what we paid for it. It was $2200 and it's good quality for that price. If we had paid $5000 for it I would expect somethings to be better on it. Both welders are good for their price bracket, so I would answer that they are both good quality for what I paid for them.
    I agree with you, and have an inexpensive inverter that I feel is worth what I paid for it also, a tad more than twice what you paid.

I know that I couldn't have gotten an American machine as inexpensive, even used, so it allowed me to start welding. Plus, most of the used Millers and Lincolns I would want require a lot of power to run them. So in that regard the cheap inverter allowed me to start teaching myself, and the few projects I have will have the welder pay for itself.

But when you disclaim your comments with "For what I paid, yes.", the implication that it was cheap and worth the value. In your case you could fix it after a year. What if you couldn't have done that? You would have needed to send it in for service? Does that company service them? Even for a $250 machine, if it only lasts a year that's not very good value. More like a disposable lighter.

TT

Well,

That's doesn't follow either, as a $250 unit like Iain's Everlast 140ST is guarranteed to be repaired or replaced for 5 years, for free.

That represents an outstanding value!

And that's what a "durable good" is, something that lasts beyond three years. And Everlast is the only welder sold in N.A. with a 5-year warrantee included.

I mean, what's the warantee on a disposable lighter?

Sure, a guy like Iain has mad technical skills. But you don't need those skills when buying or owning an Everlast unit. I should know, I don't have those skills, and I'm a happy Everlast user that has exercised some of Everlast's warrantee and support policies. Easy peasy, no schematics or mad technical skills required.

The IGBT transistor switching technology is apparently better than Mofset too. I mean, I used a Mosfet DC-TIG/Stick/Plasma unit for several years and never had a problem, so I'm expecting as much from the IGBT stuff, like the PDF document than 455dan posted suggests, which was interesting.

But, again, it's an over-generalization and a false claim to say that Everlast units are Chinese copies of Anglo-American designs.

My 210EXT has a design and features like nothing else produced in North America, e.g., the MixTIG function, the schematic digital panel layout (vs the Dynasty's columnar layout), etc.

And the new Everlast units produced in Asia are a true industry FIRST, with the two all-in-one AC/DC-TIG/MIG/Stick units; the 221STi and 252STi.

I mean, ESAB reps were claiming that ESAB would be the first to produce units like that, when their prototype and proposed sole unit is to be released (it's still not for sale) almost a year later than when Everlast was already delivering their industry-first stuff to customers, with an included foot pedal, added AC waveforms, better duty-cycle, better warrantee, and for a better price, of course.

Yeah, a guy like Iain would undoubtedly enjoy having welder schematics. But, the Everlast line of welders do change pretty often, having changed to IGBT, becoming more modular, etc. So, I'm not surprised that schematics aren't included. And even moreso now, with those two, new, industry-FIRST Everlast STi units, that ESAB would probably love to borrow some ideas from the schematics themselves. Not that I'm a fan of the statist, taxpayer financed and protected concept of IP, which creates little State-granted monopolies for 18-20 years, which keep consumer prices higher.

So, the truth doesn't seem to matter to some, when it comes to Everlast or better Asian stuff. Not that it really matters, as they're satisfying a lot of pent up consumer demand.

... In your case you could fix it after a year. What if you couldn't have done that? You would have needed to send it in for service? Does that company service them? Even for a $250 machine, if it only lasts a year that's not very good value. More like a disposable lighter.

TT
    Last edited by C. Livingstone; 03-26-2018 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Livingstone View Post
    Well,

That's doesn't follow either, as a $250 unit like Iain's Everlast 140ST is guarranteed to to be repaired or replaced for 5 years, for free.

That represents an outstanding vaue!

And that's what a "durable good" is, something that lasts beyond three years. And Everlast is the only welder sold in N.A. with a 5-year warrantee included.

]
    really for free?? that includes free shipping back to the company?? please show that documentation from the warranty

No,

I stated, "...repaired or replaced for 5 years, for free."

Of course, you may know that Everlast's return shipping is "free" for the first 30 days only, as part of their complete satisfaction period, which I've actually exercised myself.

After that, again, it's "...repaired (i.e., parts and labor) or replaced for 5 years, for free."

But, the shipping costs are on the purchaser, after the first 30 days. And Everlast also won't pay for a box and packing material to ship it to them either...

Easy peasy!

Do your own homework, the Internet makes it easy.

https://www.everlastgenerators.com
    Last edited by C. Livingstone; 03-26-2018 at 10:50 AM.

No,

I stated, "...repaired or replaced for 5 years, for free."

Of course, you may know that Everlast's return shipping is "free" for the first 30 days only, as part of their complete satisfaction period, which I've actually exercised myself.

After that, again, it's "...repaired (i.e., parts and labor) or replaced for 5 years, for free."

But, the shipping costs are on the purchaser, after the first 30 days. And Everlast also won't pay for a box and packing material to ship it to them either...

Easy peasy!

Do your own homework, the Internet makes it easy.

https://www.everlastgenerators.com
    Nah, ill just buy name brand welders that have FREE drop off for warranty at thousands of retail shops around the country... what good is a warranty if it cost you several hundred to ship a welder not worth much more than the shipping????

Sure,

Choices are good.

But shipping a welder like mine to which ever of three current service sites that may be appropriate for my particular Everlast unit, which is a full-sized AC/DC TIG unit, would be about $100 or slightly more, round-trip, and not "several hundred".

Of course, I can afford several hundred, and even a couple thousand or more, for shipping, since I didn't spend that much more on a "name brand" digital, advanced-featured TIG unit.

Sure,

Choices are good.

But shipping a welder like mine to which ever of three current service sites that may be appropriate for my particular Everlast unit, which is a full-sized AC/DC TIG unit, would be about $100 or slightly more, round-trip, and not "several hundred".

Of course, I can afford several hundred, and even a couple thousand or more, for shipping, since I didn't spend that much more on a "name brand" digital, advanced-featured TIG unit.
    you keep missing the point, buy quality and there usually is no need to use a warranty... yes every manufacture has failures, but the chicoms are a much higher percentage of failure over name brand..I doubt everlast will be honest by stating the percentage of failure of their welders compared to name brand.. but if your happy with your purchase as whoever buys them then thats all that matters, I try not to buy equipment I need to work when I need it to ,as a project to fix whenever it breaks...I have plenty of stuff to play around with when it comes to that..as you do in your videos..

No,

I get your point.

I just don't agree with it.

My point, even if you don't agree with it, is that even if the whole Everlast line of welders have a slightly lower longevity rate than the whole line of Miller or Lincoln, the practical reliability of Everlast line would still be equalized or better than the Miller and Lincoln line of welders, due to Everlast's, approximately, 60% longer (5-year) warrantee coverage than Blue and Red's 3-year warrantee.

Then, of course, there's the added 66% in savings, due to the purchase price of many Everlast units costing about 1/3 of what a Blue or Red unit costs, before even suggesting what you might pay in taxes at a LWS for Red and Blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    you keep missing the point, buy quality and there usually is no need to use a warranty... yes every manufacture has failures, but the chicoms are a much higher percentage of failure over name brand..I doubt everlast will be honest by stating the percentage of failure of their welders compared to name brand.. but if your happy with your purchase as whoever buys them then thats all that matters, I try not to buy equipment I need to work when I need it to ,as a project to fix whenever it breaks...I have plenty of stuff to play around with when it comes to that..as you do in your videos..
    ^^^^this

Aside from the Infomercial which the Everlast Retriever continues to display, this is spot on...despite the claims of how a DOA Miller will cost you $1800 to fix, how many of those Millers actually arrive at the customer DOA? Miller seems to have much better QA, and much lower percentages of DOA or failed units that a company like Everlast. Even the Lincolns made in Mexico probably have less failures despite the few that everyone hears about. In fact, in most all cases if you were to buy a Miller or Lincoln, the LWS which you can go purchase it from will almost always check the unit out and make sure everything is working, even after it arrives in their shop and before you get it. That doesn't happen with Everlast, they QA them in China and ship and box to the U.S. that gets shipped to the customer.

At the end of the day, a welder is a tool to get a task done. I also want something that is reliable so that when I turn it on one day, it turns on and works. Nothing more, nothing less.

The Miller and Lincolns are proven over the years and have provided the type of support that professional welders would expect.

Now we have companies like Everlast surfacing with inexpensive imported inverters. Do these stand up to professional use? They certainly do in many, but not all cases. There are a lot of higher end Everlast units that were given to YouTube and similar people and they work. They also have some problems, even Jody Collier has had problems with Everlast units as have other people.

We just have to be realistic about these machines. They are cheap for a reason. They use inexpensive parts in them for a reason. They offer more function and feature at a lower price than their competition. They don't have a support infrastructure or even stock parts for the machines in most all cases, so the buyer is dependent on getting the repair parts from China. How long will China keep those parts in stock when they change welder models like they change their underwear? This is all ok if you don't need to get your welder serviced...but if you do...there could be some problems in doing so.

So yes, on the surface an Everlast can be up to the task of an industrial welder which a professional would use. But that is not always the case and certainly not for all models.

Caveat Emptor!

Nonsense, Alan,

You know nothing about Lincoln or Everlast failure rates.

And I certainly wouldn't claim to know that, myself.

You know nothing about what "most all" franchised or family-owned LWS may or may not "almost always" do with "most all" welder units that they sell.

You don't know about "a lot" of Everlast units "given to YouTube".

And you are obviously mistaken that, "...even Jody Collier has had problems with Everlast 'units'...", when he had one single problem with a HF gap setting on a 250EX, years ago, which he easily corrected, by phone, with Everlast support staff, as he stated in his video.

So, I'm sure Jody Collier doesn't appreciate you mischaracterizing his view of Everlast products, publicly, here or anywhere else, in your effort to try to malign the products, company integrity, or Everlast staff.

And you don't know what the value of the parts that are being used in Everlast or the Red and Blue units produced in Asia.

Of course, Red and Blue rely on Asia for parts, like Everlast.

It's irrelevant to any sensible end-user, Red, Green, or Blue. So, there no need for anxiety about it.

And, of course, Alan, you don't know which Everlast models are up to which tasks, as you haven't yet learned how to run a welding bead on your own new Everlast unit yet.

So, do yourself a favor, and learn how to weld some rudimentary joints, before trying to pass yourself off as a welding industry insider.

Welding is fun, try it!

I just finished that revised battery box, and what a pleasure it was doing so.

Name:  BoxBead copy.JPG
Views: 120
Size:  310.1 KB

Skip to the 5:50 minute mark, to see what Jody Collier actually thinks about an Everlast 210EXT "earning its keep" in his shop.

... Even the Lincolns made in Mexico probably have less failures despite the few that everyone hears about. In fact, in most all cases if you were to buy a Miller or Lincoln, the LWS which you can go purchase it from will almost always check the unit out and make sure everything is working, even after it arrives in their shop and before you get it...

...There are a lot of higher end Everlast units that were given to YouTube and similar people and they work. They also have some problems, even Jody Collier has had problems with Everlast units as have other people...

...They use inexpensive parts in them for a reason. They offer more function and feature at a lower price than their competition. They... dependent on getting the repair parts from China. How long will China keep those parts in stock when they change welder models like they change their underwear? This is all ok if you don't need to get your welder serviced...but if you do...there could be some problems in doing so.

So yes, on the surface an Everlast can be up to the task of an industrial welder which a professional would use. But that is not always the case and certainly not for all models.

Caveat Emptor!
    Last edited by C. Livingstone; 03-26-2018 at 07:38 PM.

Nonsense, Alan,

And I certainly wouldn't claim to know that, myself.

You know nothing about what "most all" franchised or family-owned LWS may or may not "almost always" do with "most all" welder units that they sell.

You don't know about "a lot" of Everlast units "given to YouTube".

And you are obviously mistaken that, "...even Jody Collier has had problems with Everlast 'units'...", when he had one single problem with a HF gap setting on a 250EX, years ago, which he easily corrected, by phone, with Everlast support staff, as he stated in his video.

So, I'm sure Jody Collier doesn't appreciate you mischaracterizing his view of Everlast products, publicly, here or anywhere else, in your effort to try to malign the products, company integrity, or Everlast staff.

And you don't know what the value of the parts that are being used in Everlast or the Red and Blue units produced in Asia.

Of course, Red and Blue rely on Asia for parts, like Everlast.

It's irrelevant to any sensible end-user, Red, Green, or Blue. So, there no need for anxiety about it.

And, of course, Alan, you don't know which Everlast models are up to which tasks, as you haven't yet learned how to run a welding bead on your own new Everlast unit yet.

So, do yourself a favor, and learn how to weld some rudimentary joints, before trying to pass yourself off as a welding industry insider.

Welding is fun, try it!

I just finished that revised battery box, and what a pleasure it was doing so.

Name:  BoxBead copy.JPG
Views: 120
Size:  310.1 KB

Skip to the 5:50 minute mark, to see what Jody Collier actually thinks about an Everlast 210EXT "earning its keep" in his shop.

thank you everyone this has been a paid everlast commercial and now back to our regularly scheduled programing of " the man that pushed green".............

Nonsense,

I'm just clarifying obvious misrepresentations and fake welding unit news. (Why has anyone accused me of being a Russian agent yet?)

I'd do that for Miller too, but most here seem to be cheerleaders for Blue already, so I rarely get a chance for that.

But, interestingly, I seem to be one of the very few here (maybe the only one) on WW that has given favorable comments about the inverter Miller Syncrowave 210DX AC/DC TIG welder, that is also MIG welder capable, via spoolgun. I did like that unit, for the longest time, and stated as much here, several times. But now Everlast has their two, new, industry-first AC/DC TIG units, with on-board MIG wielding capability. So, the Syncrowave 210DX is no longer one-of-a-kind, so to speak, since the Everlast STi unit have outdone the inverter Syncrowave. I like the HTP ProPulse too, even though I haven't actually used one. It's very attractive to me, even thogh I have little use for MIG right now. There's a lot of new units and brands to like lately!!!!!!!!!!!

Otherwise, you, Hobby, are indirectly and needlessly pushing Green, since you don't seem to know how to "reply with quote" and delete the needlessly redundant images and YouTube player placards, which make for a repeating billboard effect for Everlast.

So, stop doing that, you spammer, as that makes threads needlessly tacky, too.

Ha, ha, ha...

Come on,
    Last edited by C. Livingstone; 03-26-2018 at 09:26 PM.

And neither does Everlast but they have no problem jumping in and claiming that Millers fail and cost $1800 to fix.

I never said I new what the failure was, just that I didn't believe Everlast casting FUD on the situation, just like you do.

I know the shop I deal with and the others around me.

And you are obviously mistaken that, "...even Jody Collier has had problems with Everlast 'units'...when he had one single problem with a HF gap setting on a 250EX, years ago, which he easily corrected, by phone, with Everlast support staff, as he stated in his video.
    Well I don't know about "easy", I only know that the point gap was wrong and it was not working correctly for him, so he needed to call service and get it straightened out. He said they helped him, but he had to stop his work, contact them, sit through the process on the phone...guess what? That takes time and it costs Jody money when he needs to do that. Not matter what he says, he had a problem with his unit, period. And that much...

So, I'm sure Jody Collier doesn't appreciate you mischaracterizing his view of Everlast products
    I'm not at all. OTOH, I don't like that fact that you run around with your Everlast cheerleader suit, humping on my leg, on every time I post.

I can use my own judgment on what I buy and what I think about the products. I honestly don't need your help and I don't think too many others do...Of course they have no choice with you, you're the biggest Everlast cheerleader on the planet.

I will tell you once again, it's only a tool, and at the end of the day it needs to work to get the job done. When it breaks you either fix it or get a new one if you need to work. This is true for Red, Blue and even obnoxious green. I'm not married to any welder, and certainly don't feel my inexpensive Everlast will stay in my shop over the long haul.

Now, if that bothers you because I don't feel Everlast meets the quality that I prefer, so be it.

Just because you say the welders are the best things since sliced bread means nothing. I don't watch your channel, I don't watch the videos you post, it's nothing that really interests me, and with the way you've responded to me I won't be any time soon.

TT

I'd do that for Miller too, but most here seem to be cheerleaders for Blue already, so I rarely get a chance for that.
    How could you, you're so busy humping green there's little if any time for it, especially if you want to get any welding done.

Nonsense,

You followed me into this thread.

I mean, I've got other cyber stalkers too.

I just wish some of them were attractive females, though.

Otherwise, I've got more pics of welding I've done yesterday. Do you want me to post them here?

Or, why don't you post some welding pics of your own, since you're bragging about how you're doing so much more welding than me. And maybe you are, so let's see what you've welded!

Don't worry, I'll be objective, and forgo any ad hominems or name-calling that you're in the habit of. And even though there are many far more experienced than I, I'm still happy to share with you, Alan, like I do with everybody else that asks for input about welding or what I may know, so that they can know it too, so long as they're courteous. And 96% of them are!

Ha, ha, ha...
    Last edited by C. Livingstone; 03-26-2018 at 09:40 PM.

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter

Soooo much misinformation. To call Everlast Chicom and trying to separate A US based company from another US based company with both of them having their major components made in China and calling the one Chi-com and the other American (or alluding to it) is disingenuous. A company that was all American made cannot rest on its laurels or be given a pass on their current activities of manufacture. Also, the "assumption" that Everlast somehow uses cheap or low quality parts is dead wrong and really an easily disproved (if not somewhat idiotic at this point and time given the vast info out there) statement. In many cases we are using parts from the same name brand suppliers, and name brand components, and parts from US based, European (i.e Germany and Italy) and asian based companies. Products from IR, IXYS, Panasonic, Sharp, Texas Instruments, Infineon(siemens), and many more suppliers are all staples of the line. In addition to that, our parts are not rebadged under a "proprietary" number to prevent cross referencing. Some of you may have missed Millers "silent" introduction of some new China based inverters into their line. Another issue is that to think you can drop off at any retail center and have your Miller fixed is erroneous. You still are responsible, under their warranty terms for any shipping charges. Yes, the dealer may also be connected directly to a repair center, in which case, the unit will often ride for free back and forth on their trucks, but if not, you won't have that expectation. Believe me, I talk to dissatisfied Miller guys who convert to us all the time, because they realize from personal experience this is pure rhetoric.

Its almost as if this argument is new. It is not, it has been recycled countless times and is worn out, tired and still full of misinformation and armchair quarterbacking from self professed experts. People who read and research know. No we are not a brand new company. We've been around since 2004. IF we had poor product, and did not improve, we would not still be around. From the first year I was involved with this company, people tried to predict our failure, and we are still here, outlasting some other companies, and mergers which seem to be given a pass...and we've been a moving force of change in the industry. That is undeniable.

We do not "give" units to these guys. Some think we do, but that does not mean we do. In fact, Jody bought his first Everlast product. Others have as well. We do send some to people for evaluation, but do not "buy" their support with free units anytime they want one. WE could have dozens more of regular posters on youtube if that was the case, because I send refusal letters to people weekly/daily requesting this, who seem to be under this impression. Buy one first, become a believer, then we'll talk.

As far as Everlast being merely a reseller, or distributor, that is 100% you know what. Bogus, false, or whatever you call it. We have more involvement in our factory than some of the others by far. We initiate product development, and are intricately involved with it in many stages of development. We visit the factory during production runs, monitoring it, and spot test there in person, and monitor production, testing of our units.

Our repair facility in TN is fully equipped, and trained in California, and in China, and are regularly updating their training. Many local repair centers do not have the level of training, diagnostic equipment or testing ability that our facility does. While shipping it to TN may seem like a big deal, having it repaired correctly and tested fully is something that you cannot be assured of if you send it to your local "repair" center.

Another misnomer, is that we have no schematics. No we don't provide them to the average person or untrained individual. That's a recipe for disaster as we have learned. We do hold them tightly but have been known to send them out if we felt that this was appropriate. I even have a copy of the schematics of the 140ST mentioned here, buried in my laptop here as I type. If I could guarantee it wouldn't be shared on the net via Iain, I could send him a copy.

No we don't change design often. Yes, we have in the past, early on but years now much of our product line has had no need for changes. We have updated our product line (as far as MIGs and TIGs) to digital control, but we've not been monkeying with it very often. ETL testing is expensive, and when you make a change it costs money and time to redesign, and resubmit it for evaluation and testing. So the designs have to be right. Soon we will have digital Stick/TIG PowerARC series of units and have taken our time to release them. No, these are not off the shelf or copied units. These are again, 100% from Everlast.

Our lines have been converted to IGBT since 2008. Our only two units with Mosfets in them (and a lower 3 year warranty) are the "Super" prefixed units of the SuperCut 51 and the SuperUltra units. Both of which have been redesigned and have been much improved in reliability. MUCH. No they aren't intended for industrial use, but there's still a market for them.

There's a lot more inaccuracies, but I am not going to belabor the point further, unless someone keeps spewing stuff that they don't know about.

One more: Our failure rates on most of line are very low, thanks to our continual effort of improvement and factory involvement in everything from Design to testing and production monitoring. I've notice a uptick in DOA units wih our competitors since they've gone to a direct marketing or Internet based marketing approach, yet, still somehow this is ignored as an inconvenient truth.
    Last edited by lugweld; 03-26-2018 at 11:07 PM.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

I've pushed Everlast on anyone that would listen to me since purchasing my 225lx. My welder seemed like a great value, especially at the time, before these other inexpensive welders popped up. Great bang for the buck... but it is now a dead paperweight for the second time with the same issue having seen minimal use. The welder sat for three years while I was stationed overseas and I've been on the same bottle of argon since I moved back in early 2016. This has me questioning my initial perceived value and whether or not I should buy a new one for my business where it will see a lot more use.

Anyway, with a repair bill of $500 and shipping both ways, it's just straight dumb for me to send this back to have it repaired when I can buy a brand new welder like one of the ones recommended earlier in this thread for less. 😔

Edit: And the thumbs up someone at Everlast gave me on social media after I had said the same thing as above really chapped my ***. (I posted the picture farther back in the thread).
    Last edited by Ztg525; 03-27-2018 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    There's a lot more inaccuracies, but I am not going to belabor the point further
    Mark,

How about addressing the issue with your customer in this thread?

You haven't helped him out one bit.

Seems he has a dead box. You have no advice or idea on how he can fix it other than sending it back?

We've talked already on the phone IIRC, so you don't see behind the scenes so you need to back off with your assumptions and posturing. A dead machine needs service. It's out of warranty. New components will usually need to be replaced on the boards. That part is not user serviceable. It will take a skilled and trained diagnostician to service the unit, test it, load bank it and make sure nothing else is weak or in the process of failing. What do you expect to happen here? It's 7 years old and he has to weigh the cost to repair at an est. 500 plus shipping or another unit, either ours or someone else's. It's really not complicated. It may be difficult to make the decision, and I understand that, but the process is fairly simple. A new replacement machine is roughly 1350 to 16650.00 depending on which unit he wants as the 225lx has been out of production for about 5 years now. Original list on the unit he has was about 1200 to 1400.00 depending upon when he bought it. It is not a machine currently in production. It was a good unit. It's not that I am not sympathetic, or that I don't wish things were cheaper. But if the quote was indeed 500.00, that includes the board if it needs to be fully replaced rather than repaired( which is what I am assuming they are going to figure on) and the labor. That's a better deal than you'll find on most welders including some repair like this on Miller. The only thing I advise is to send it postal service. It's cheaper, and they tend not to beat things up so bad. That unit will go that route. You could send it gray hound if they still have under the bus service, or possibly fastenal, if they want to deliver to the TN facility. Other than that, that is the best we can do.
    Last edited by lugweld; 03-27-2018 at 02:48 AM.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Sitting is the worst thing for any machine of any kind. In many cases, it is worse than daily use. Relays stick, capacitors dry out and fail (likely issue) and other things like this can happen due to lack of use. A 3 year hiatus is like putting your car in storage and coming back and expect everything to be perfect, the tires up, the battery fully charged, the windshield wipers like new etc. I"m sure it was stored satisfactorily, but that too has something to do with it.

As far as the thumbs up on facebook. I am sure it was meant as an acknowledgement of your statement, rather than a "like" of your predicament. Either that, or it was accidental.
    I teach welding. I am using some low hour blue units to teach MIG right now at the tech school. There are issues with a couple of them. They are about 8 to 10 years old and one of them, has an arc outage every few seconds. It was a nice, expensive unit new. Again, it sat most of its life in the corner, for months on end without use. But I don't blame Miller, or bemoan the fact that it is going to take a good bit to make it work correctly. Things like this happen. While it is never convenient, or easy to deal with, you have to decide your best course of action for you and no one else. If you are wanting to buy an old welder, with sky high and difficult to find/replace parts to replace just because someone said they were good, that's what you need to do. But what else can we do? We have offered a good, reasonable price for the repair. Our new units are much different, not only in repair ability by the customer, but in design and final product function and quality. If you want to go another route, we understand.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Quote Originally Posted by Ztg525 View Post
    I've pushed Everlast on anyone that would listen to me since purchasing my 225lx. My welder seemed like a great value, especially at the time, before these other inexpensive welders popped up. Great bang for the buck... but it is now a dead paperweight for the second time with the same issue having seen minimal use. The welder sat for three years while I was stationed overseas and I've been on the same bottle of argon since I moved back in early 2016. This has me questioning my initial perceived value and whether or not I should buy a new one for my business where it will see a lot more use.

Anyway, with a repair bill of $500 and shipping both ways, it's just straight dumb for me to send this back to have it repaired when I can buy a brand new welder like one of the ones recommended earlier in this thread for less. ��

Edit: And the thumbs up someone at Everlast gave me on social media after I had said the same thing as above really chapped my ***. (I posted the picture farther back in the thread).
    if you bought a lincoln or miller most likley it would still be working for you when you needed it and no aggravation, so what is that worth to you? your in the military would you want the cheapest gun made or cheapest body armor made or the best for more money???

Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    Sitting is the worst thing for any machine of any kind. In many cases, it is worse than daily use. Relays stick, capacitors dry out and fail (likely issue) and other things like this can happen due to lack of use. A 3 year hiatus is like putting your car in storage and coming back and expect everything to be perfect, the tires up, the battery fully charged, the windshield wipers like new etc. I"m sure it was stored satisfactorily, but that too has something to do with it.

As far as the thumbs up on facebook. I am sure it was meant as an acknowledgement of your statement, rather than a "like" of your predicament. Either that, or it was accidental.
    I teach welding. I am using some low hour blue units to teach MIG right now at the tech school. There are issues with a couple of them. They are about 8 to 10 years old and one of them, has an arc outage every few seconds. It was a nice, expensive unit new. Again, it sat most of its life in the corner, for months on end without use. But I don't blame Miller, or bemoan the fact that it is going to take a good bit to make it work correctly. Things like this happen. While it is never convenient, or easy to deal with, you have to decide your best course of action for you and no one else. If you are wanting to buy an old welder, with sky high and difficult to find/replace parts to replace just because someone said they were good, that's what you need to do. But what else can we do? We have offered a good, reasonable price for the repair. Our new units are much different, not only in repair ability by the customer, but in design and final product function and quality. If you want to go another route, we understand.
    BS..my lincolns can sit anywhere from 6 months to a year between uses and guess what they still work, along with my hypertherms that sit for long periods of time in unheated shops..maybe the cheap units cant sit for periods of time as cheap is cheap for a reason , if someone sees the value in a less expensive welder or equipment and are willing to risk the short life span as value vs more expensive long life span then thats up to them, but dont continually push cheap as being as good as name brand because a few units held up over the long haul, and 10 or 15 years isnt much of a long haul compared to 30, 40 or 50 years plus...not picking on your brand exclusively but all these cheap chicom welders. and yes its true name brand uses china made components, but they come in many levels of quality and since the name brands hold up im guessing they spec the higher quality components when the cheap chicoms dont...
    Last edited by Hobbytime; 03-27-2018 at 10:53 AM.

Can't we just vote Livingstone off the island and be done with all of this??
    Millermatic 252
    Syncrowave 250
    Purox Metalmaster

Yeah, the tyranny of mobocracy!

Otherwise, it's always refreshing for me to see the comments of real industry insiders on WW, like Mark (lugweld) regarding his welding unit company and industry, and guys like Jim Colt, too, as a WW member, with plasma units from Hypertherm, also, welding production shop owners, like Shovelon (Terry), who does real beta-testing for TIG and MIG units being released into North America.

It's a great time to welding and fabricating!