UnitWeld 200Amp TIG
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

UnitWeld 200Amp TIG

Decided to give this thing a try, if it doesn't work out - I'll move on to more expensive candidates. This unitweld TIG200P has HF, digital amp readout, programmable 4T, 2T, automated gas control, and pulse. No provision for pedal/torch amp control. Basically just a switch on the torch to start it. Its a 200Amp inverter DC box, that does stick too. Delivered for under $300 (there was a 10% off coupon). Had to purchase a regulator, and I'll be picking up an argon cylinder this week.

Everything arrives by the end of the week, so I should have opportunity on the weekend to setup and try it out. I'll post my results. Hopefully I won't have to test drive their tech support, warranty, or return policies - but I'll report all findings. I'm interested in sheet metal fabrication. MIG adds alot of heat and material - TIG doesn't and seems to be the preferred choice of the metalshaping community. I'm well practiced in MIG sheet steel repairs and can pull off what is needed, but I'm interested in finding ways to reduce finishing time (mostly grinding and hammer/dolly).

Link to the TIG welder:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HPX82JK

----
    Hobart HH190
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: UnitWeld 200Amp TIG

Update 1:
    Welder arrived along with my tungsten. Switched its plug to one that matches my MIG welder so I could use the same outlet/extension. Thankfully it wasn't a mold on plug, so swapping it out was very easy. Went through the TIG's interface, you basically just walk through the settings with a button and dial. I set it up for 2T at 100amp, and hooked up the Argon with the flow set to 20. Tapped the trigger to validate the shielding gas control was flowing, along with the post flow. Grabbed some 1/16 wall tubing I had cut one side off with the plasma and quickly ran a 3 inch bead. Looked good, both sides looked almost the same - so good penetration . Unfortunately the weld rod shipment was delayed, so I decided to stop for tonight.

I need to get my workspace setup to really put the machine through its paces, but the TIG machine has passed the first minimal test.

The TIG's manual was definitely translated, and not real clear on the controls. But its not that hard to figure out by moving though the options on the interface.

Update 3:

Amazon sent the wrong weld rod (1/8 !), so that ruined the weekend. I ordered from another supplier, should be here by next weekend. But I did get a chance to try the torch and 2T on some sheet steel tonight. I set the welder in 2T mode and 60amps, was able to lay a bead w/o burning a hole and it looked reasonable. Then I started doubting that I could just guess good values off the bat like that, so I dropped the amps, and it didn't do well.... I raised up to 100 and got a big hole. So 60A worked really well on that recycled sheet steel - I'm going to have to start playing the lottery. Then I overlapped two pieces and tacked two pieces together, but I really needed to add material to do it right - and I need to make the work pieces fit tightly together.

So far I don't think I'm going to miss a foot pedal, I really like just using the torch trigger.

Still need to test out 4T and the pulse feature, maybe later this week.

Update:

Tested the 4T, seems to do what it is supposed to do. I started to try some 035 rod on my 20 gauge coupons, my coordination is poor - so I didn't get a good result. Need more practice. I was able to dial the machine down to 20Amps and still get the steel to melt.

Two things that confuse me on the interface:
    1. I somehow found a way to change the 1s in the amp settings. Meaning I could dial in like 27 Amps. But the machine seems to default to changing it in 10s. I thought I knew how I got it to change 1s, but when I tried it again last night- couldn't get it in that mode.
    2. I tested the pulse prior, but when I tried it last night - couldn't seem to get it to pulse like I expected. I'll spend more time on it today.

I grabbed these pictures from weldingtipsandtricks that are nice and clear about where the change points are with the button press/release. I combined them in one shot to make it easy to print off for myself, enjoy.

Update:

Added a economical gas lens kit from amazon, amazon logistics people working on Easter. Was able to pull the tungsten pretty far out given the gas lens - must be out 1/2 inch or more. Sandblasted some used sheet metal for coupons. Changed to the 045 filler rod. I succeeded at putting together a decent lap joint. It was a bit hot, but I got the lap together - so I think I'm on my way, just need lots more practice before I try something that isn't throw away.

I think I will get some thicker tungsten and start trying some thicker coupons, that will probably be easier than 20 gauge.

Here is the link to the stuby gas lens kit for 17 torches that I put on.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quick update. I have figured out the user gesture to get 1 amp increments, and increments in general. You must hold the button down while turning the knob.

The waveform is completely programmable, you can set the following:
    1. preflow (seconds)
    2. start current (starting at 10, in 0.1 increments)
    3. up slope (seconds)
    4. welding current (10 to 200 in 0.1 increments)
    5. downslope (seconds)
    6. crater current (starting at 10, in 0.1 increments)
    7. post flow (seconds)
    8. pulse (on/off)
    9. pulse frequency ((0.5 to 20 Hertz, in 0.1 increments)
    10. pulse width percentage (10 to 90, in 0.1 increments)

The torch is reasonable, but I think I'd like a flex head better.

Just FYI, adjustable waveform is actually a characteristic of AC output machines. Waveform refers to the shape of the AC voltage/current wave, whether square-wave, triangle-wave, sine-wave, etc.

Seems like a better deal than the 225A Amico, as long as it all works well.

Ooops, yeah - I guess I'm guilty of stepping on domain terminology. By waveform, I mean the profile of the DC amps over time with respect to TIG control points - but I think BigTB knows that.

So its raining and I'm a little bored.... I dug out my clamp meter, but I don't really trust the thing for accuracy, its a cheap import (UNI-T UT210E) - and unfortunately I haven't had a job for a very long time that has laboratory grade equipment to validate my suspicions. I miss that job, sometimes.... Anyway I am posting these as observations, not absolute readings because I don't know if this meter is correct. The meter has two ranges, 0-10, and 0-100. I used the 0-100 range first, then checked just the output 10amp with 0-10 range - and they were the same. My clamp was placed on the ground cable, near the face of the welder. I used a clean ground to a point tungsten (3/16").

Here are the observations (thanks to my 14yr old helping out).

I think maybe you have two typos? While testing amps wouldn't you have the meter set to 100amps DC instead of volts?
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

You're right Dave, I did typo "V" instead of "A" that in the right table column - and openOffice used it in chart legend for me.

I measured the leads earlier, forgot to post. Torch lead is 12 feet. Ground lead is 9 feet. And the power cable is 6 feet. Strain reliefs, heat shrink, and connectors are all professional.

I think I'll get some 1/8" bar stock tomorrow from home depot and make some coupons for T-joints for fillets.

My progress on 20 gauge lapped is still not worthy of photos, getting the top layer to bond nicely to the bottom is not easy. But reality is, if its lapped - I'm usually punching holes and filling them to make it appear spot welded. Most of my sheet metail repair work is usually tightly fitted and butt welded. I've been lazy about cutting some tight fitting butt joints on this recycled autobody sheet steel just to practice, but I need to get over it - and get it done!

Random photos of some sheet work I did last year, outside with MIG. Majority of it was butt joints. I only lapped the inner floor. Thinking this outside stuff is over, if I'm using TIG. It seems way more sensitive to any air movement than MIG.
    Last edited by fj5gtx; 04-15-2018 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fj5gtx View Post
    . It seems way more sensitive to any air movement than MIG.
    What gas CFH are you running? If there is some wind try upping the gas flow. Might help.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTB View Post
    What gas CFH are you running? If there is some wind try upping the gas flow. Might help.
    I was inside, and had the large doors open, flow set at 20. I just closed the doors and all was fine. I may need to put up wind breaks around me if I'm outside.

Had a surprise take my free time today....I'll get the 1/8 steel later this week and see what I can do.

I cut up some flat bar (1/8 x 1-1/2) into 3 inch pieces. Cleaned up and setup for T joints. I quick tacked it at 200A, looks real good. Then I dropped to 120A on the display and started trying to lay a bead with 1/16 filler rod and 3/16 blue tungsten.

I haven't trained myself on advancing the filler rod, so it wasn't so great - I'd start focusing on the filler, then I would dip the tungsten... agggh! I did 3 of them, none turned out very nice. I stuck one on its side, and laid a good bead with filler on the flat side. I seem to be struggling on the fillet because I'm not working the rod like I should be.

But from testing the welder perspective, the unit seems to work as advertised. My Amazon return window ends today; I will be keeping this welder. I like the programmable features. I may switch to a smaller torch when doing light sheet steel.