Grinding and Wire Mesh Face shield?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

It's is fwaking hot wearing a plastic face shield and they are always filthy. Is it safe to use wire mesh face shields? I always have safety glasses on but really need to preserve my handsome looks.

Re: Grinding and Wire Mesh Face shield?

Bill,

While I can certainly sympathize with a face shield making things harder to see and cutting down on one's cooling capacity I just can't picture a wire mesh one giving you the kind of protection needed in those situations where you really ought to be wearing a face shield.

How about setting up a large pedestal fan behind/beside you. If you're migging/tigging I guess you'll just have to get tough.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Maybe you don't have your face shield's head gear adjusted correctly.

Mesh shields are used in the forest industry for wood/brush cutting. They are attached to the hardhat. the shield keeps out large objects, and the glasses on the face keep out the small ones. Yes, it can be done, but it's not standard in other industrial settings.

Chipper's goggles were used back in the day by workers knocking casting flash off in foundries. Some used mesh sides to keep from fogging. While it may seem to breathe better, it doesn't from my experience wearing fencing helmets. I'm also pretty sure the kinetic energy from hits to the face in logging and grinding are on par. I can see a mesh shield being safer in environments where a worker would remove a polycarbonate shield as an expedient measure. I like the Uvex face shield but even with the extra coverage still get hit with ricochets and that's still with safety glasses too. The ultimate solution would be a supplied air system like the sanblasters use but then you are dealing with another hose and added expenses.

I use one when its over about 85 degrees with a Dewalt goggle under it.I've had some stuff jump off my weedeater and hit my screen shield.Probably hit it as hard as a shattered cutoff wheel would. They work.
    When temps are normal I wear Hypertherm shields. You can flip down the # 8 after you grind and move a mistake and tack it well. You can plasma cut and weld MIG with a 110 too.
    Best all around safety device in my shop.

We uses regular face shields or I uses my hood and right now I am on hot welds in June in a plastic tent with the pipe kept at a constant 500 degrees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did some research on wire mesh shield... Most wire mesh shield are for low velocity impact (i.e ANSI Z87) good for forestry and heat shield. A wire mesh shield would need to meet ANSI Z87+ specification. I poked around the internet and found a Pyramex S1060 shield rated for high velocity impact.

Not sure I'd risk it personally

considering i've worn glasses and a plastic shield and still had things get behind my glasses, a wire mesh shield is ill advised in my opinion

cleaning my shield is a part of my work area cleanup routine so next time i use it its clean.

not sure i'd risk it, you've only got two eyes and cant go pick up a new one at walmart.