Any success welding band saw blades with tig?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Any success welding band saw blades with tig?

I bought about 30 lenox blades at an auction for $75. They're the right thickness & width at .035 x 1" but they're 12'6" long, and I need 11'.

Is it worth trying to tig them together & would I need to anneal?

Or should I just have them welded by a saw sharpening shop?

Thanks for your response in advance.

Nate

Re: Any success welding band saw blades with tig?

This old Tony has a vid on this. Worth a watch.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

Quote Originally Posted by TJS View Post
    This old Tony has a vid on this. Worth a watch.
    Thanks, I'll check that out.

I’ve Tig welded blades for my Ellis saw. .035 thick.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    nice, do you grind the weld flush with the blade after? I have brazed a few band saw blades give the braze a quick file and after a few turns the braze flattens down pretty good..

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    nice, do you grind the weld flush with the blade after?
    Yes I do.
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

I have had intermittent luck welding them. I think my biggest issue is my eyesight is getting worse, and I also don't have a delicate touch welding thin materials. I tend to get a hollow in the gullet when welding them. I bought a coil a couple years ago and had blades welded for $10 a blade. Worked great.

I've got an Ellis as well, one of my concerns was that 90 degree twist, glad you had success. Is there a reason you didn't weld it in a straight line? Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman916 View Post
    Is there a reason you didn't weld it in a straight line?
    That’s the way it broke. So I used a straight edge for alignment, and used 312 stainless steel filler to make the weld.
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

That’s the way it broke. So I used a straight edge for alignment, and used 312 stainless steel filler to make the weld.
    That makes sense! I was thinking perhaps you put the curve in there to add more length to the weld. Haha. Thanks for the info!

You can also silver solder them. Bob

I weld them with 0.035 ER70S6 mig wire and and something in the 10 to 20 amp range. I'm going to be welding one up tomorrrow so I'll take a picture of the set up.
    My "collection":

Homemade Stick Welder
    Victor O/A Torch
    AC 225
    Ideal Arc 250

HF 90 Amp Flux Core
    HF Mig 170
    Solar 2020 Plasma Cutter
    Power i-Mig 140E
    Harris O/A torch
    HF Dual Mig 131
    140ST
    Alpha Tig 200x

Nice pics.

My DO ALL saw is intended to do pierce work, (you can cut the inside of something. There is an on board resistance welder, and grinder to cut, grind, and weld it together. I have not done this. I believe TIG is the way to fly. Grind to the width of the teeth set. My neighbor would grind the ends for overlap, and silver solder.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Might Hastelloy be another good choice?
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Might Hastelloy be another good choice?
    I’m not familiar with Hastelloy. I’ve used 312 stainless, and Super Missile weld for repairing cast steel in the past, works great.
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman916 View Post
    I bought about 30 lenox blades at an auction for $75. They're the right thickness & width at .035 x 1" but they're 12'6" long, and I need 11'.

Is it worth trying to tig them together & would I need to anneal?

Or should I just have them welded by a saw sharpening shop?

Thanks for your response in advance.

Nate
    i use silver brazing rod and a propane torch. i flip one blade and grind 2 ends together so when blade twisted back to normal the ground 45 degree ends sit on each other (opposite of a open vee joint). silver brazing rod melts at a dull red heat about 1300 F so it handles tempering blade as same time. i grind off any bump and it always works.

I’m not familiar with Hastelloy. I’ve used 312 stainless, and Super Missile weld for repairing cast steel in the past, works great.
    Unlike you, I'm an amateur, I know little. I hear experts talk of Hastelloy, so I bought some. It seems to be a catch all filler for anything I don't know what to use. It works well for me.

Unlike you, I'm an amateur
    Oh, I’m not amateur. I’m a hobbyist!
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Unlike you, I'm an amateur, I know little. I hear experts talk of Hastelloy, so I bought some. It seems to be a catch all filler for anything I don't know what to use. It works well for me.
    It depends on the Hastelloy. Look up the directions for use. You want one that is used to overlay mild steel or weld dissimilar materials. Same things for Inconel filler rods.

If I am making several blades I use hard solder (silver solder). Not a 90 degree butt, but a 15 degree scarf. I have a jig that holds them straight. For one weld, tig is faster. The secret of tig is to anneal after welding.

Willie, your on-board welder will work for old style carbon steel blades. It doesn't have enough power for the newer HSS blades.

Quote Originally Posted by bent View Post
    It depends on the Hastelloy. Look up the directions for use. You want one that is used to overlay mild steel or weld dissimilar materials. Same things for Inconel filler rods.

If I am making several blades I use hard solder (silver solder). Not a 90 degree butt, but a 15 degree scarf. I have a jig that holds them straight. For one weld, tig is faster. The secret of tig is to anneal after welding.

Willie, your on-board welder will work for old style carbon steel blades. It doesn't have enough power for the newer HSS blades.
    silver solder melts 850F or below and is not strong enough
    silver brazing melts above 850F and is with correct alloy is stronger than steel. often the 2 are confused. stuff i use melts about 1350 or red heat and sold in 1 ounce kits
    when i hear silver brazing called silver solder i just think somebody will get actual silver solder and it will fail cause its a lot weaker

I used to make Lenox blades back in the day. Computerized Lenox blade welder. After the weld there was an annealing process. It brought the blade up to Orange hot for 3-5 seconds depending on blade size. We used to do re-welds for people on broken blades and It was inexpensive. Might want to take them to your LWS and see if they will give you a deal on re-sizing and welding. Not sure what the cost would be these days. i did it back in the 90's.

Thanks for the correction TomB, silver brazing. Bob

I've done this a bunch of times. I had a lot of practice welding thin sheetmetal for auto restoration. Procedure was the same as welding with the blade welder. Grind faces of the blade to square them up, clamp blade in a fixture (mine was just a piece of angle iron with a flat bar for fence) tack in the center. When that cools it pulls the ends in tight. Then weld from the outside edges into the center. By doing it this way, you have less chance of melting away the sides and losing a tooth or two. Grind weld, and anneal to straw color with a propane torch. I've also had more success using a stainless filler wire instead of the the steel. Don't know why though.
    With all that said, once my spool of bandsaw blade is done, I won't be welding any more of them. It's too much of an inconvience to stop in the middle of a job and spend all that time to save a few bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWalter View Post
    I've done this a bunch of times. I had a lot of practice welding thin sheetmetal for auto restoration. Procedure was the same as welding with the blade welder. Grind faces of the blade to square them up, clamp blade in a fixture (mine was just a piece of angle iron with a flat bar for fence) tack in the center. When that cools it pulls the ends in tight. Then weld from the outside edges into the center. By doing it this way, you have less chance of melting away the sides and losing a tooth or two. Grind weld, and anneal to straw color with a propane torch. I've also had more success using a stainless filler wire instead of the the steel. Don't know why though.
    With all that said, once my spool of bandsaw blade is done, I won't be welding any more of them. It's too much of an inconvience to stop in the middle of a job and spend all that time to save a few bucks.
    i usually silver braze 2 or more blades at a time. yes it can be inconvenient but i just tell myself blades already made up are $20. and ones i silver braze are $5. so if it takes me 10 minutes to save $30. on 2 blades thats $180/hr savings
    of course i got a hand held metal cutting circular saw which i found can use $5 construction blades and still manage to cut 1/4" thick steel like cutting plywood. wont cut thick stuff but if 3/8 or thinner it actually cuts 2 to 10 times faster than a bandsaw. still use bandsaw for thick stuff