Oxygen and Acetylene bottles
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Oxygen and Acetylene bottles

We had a renter leave behind a couple of the large bottles of oxygen and a somewhat smaller acetylene tank at a rent house. I have an oxy-acetylene tank for my mig welder but haven't done anything with a cutting torch. Do these tanks stay good or do they have to be inspected every few years like a CO2 bottle? If I go try to get them refilled or swapped out, will my local welding supply give me crap for it?

Re: Oxygen and Acetylene bottles

All tanks need to be certified. There are numbers stamped near the top of tank. Post a pic and someone well verify if current or not.

Post your location and a member may know of a local supplier . Every supplier has their own policies on tanks. One may just exchange and charge you for recertifying . Others may tell you to take a hike, we only exchange our tanks.
    There are many posts on this and explain the stampings on tanks if you want to search.

Thanks.

I'll get the numbers when I get home and do a search.

Most of the larger bottles are lease only and may have “property of XXXX” on the neck. Smaller ones are purchased type some companies will only fill those and return them. I have had this happen they just take the bottle and get it filled and return that bottle to you.
    DIY CNC Plasma table & CandCNC DTHC-IV MP 3100 Feather Touch option
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PT 256 EX Tig
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

Quote Originally Posted by acourtjester View Post
    Most of the larger bottles are lease only and may have “property of XXXX” on the neck. Smaller ones are purchased type some companies will only fill those and return them. I have had this happen they just take the bottle and get it filled and return that bottle to you.
    This is somewhat of my concern. I don't want to take a bottle to a shop and find out I'm in possession of stolen property. I don't trust the guy but beyond the shop denying me service I doubt it would be pressed any further. I'd be fine with a refill situation. I haven't had a real need for oxyacetylene torch cutting but I do brew beer at home and there is a stage where pure oxygen can be used. And I'm sure I can find a use for an oxyacetylene torch if I have the equipment.
    Last edited by iwreckalot; 04-10-2018 at 09:27 AM.

Nobody is going to prosecute your for bringing in a "lost" cylinder.

Re-certification is ONLY required to get your cylinders refilled. They can sit with expired certifications for as long as you like.

IF your local suppliers are giving you grief, see what they want to buy tanks from them. Then list yours for sale on craigslist. There are guys who know guys that can switch them out so they will buy yours.

There is something that I’m missing here. Large sized oxygen bottles are typically rental bottles, so that means that legally the bottles belong to the company that is marked on their neck.

If you sell them you’re guilty of selling stolen property.

Why don’t you simply contact the company that the bottles belong to and verify if they are leased/rentals? If they are, explain that they were left behind and ask them if they will give you a discount on a new set of bottles if you take the time to return them. If they don’t want to play ball, then tell them that they need to pay you rental for the location where the bottles were stored before they pick them back up.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Those 300 size bottles can be a pain. I only use for oxygen shop use. One local supplier said straight out no on exchange.
    I found a other supplier that had no problems with any of my cylinders. I even had a couple old old ones. I just paid $25 fee to rectify.

If you use anyone other then airgas, you should be fine. Small fee to re cert. And then refill.
    Airgas and other large outfits won't mess with customer owned bottles because they will lose them.
    American Welding Society - Certified Welding Inspector

Airgas and other large outfits won't mess with customer owned bottles because they will lose them.
    Not true, at least not with my local Airgas. My local Airgas will exchange any tank you bring them, as long as it matches (they won't swap an oxy tank for a tank of Argon). If its out of cert, they just charge you a recert fee, give you a full tank, and send you on your way. Now, there is a welding supply shop about an hour away that will let you swap one tank for just about any other tank...I swapped an oxy/acetylene set for a bottle of tri-mix and 75/25, they just charged me for the contents.

Swapping bottles is swapping bottles. I can't see how ownership plays into it a lot. I never send one in for refill, always just swap empty for full. Even if I was renting a bottle a swap is a swap, if one is empty I need a full one. The only question I ever get asked is "do you have an account", which I don't.. If you don't have an account they hand you a small sample size tube of vaseline .. Us walk ins are the reason they are able to give discounts to the account holders.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

My son was given a large green oxygen bottle, that was almost empty. Of course when he moved out he left it behind. I took it into the LWS , they carried the green brand,hoping to exchange it for smaller tri-mix one .I gave them the story on how I got it.No luck, it was one of the lost. They were good with returning it. I got it out of the backyard, any way.
    Man of foolish pursuits
    Millermatic 250x MIG
    Magnum (Hugong) Wave 200KD AC DC TIG
    Liquid Air O/A
    metal lathe, mill/drill, surface grinder, metal shaper
    sawdust makers

Quote Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
    Nobody is going to prosecute your for bringing in a "lost" cylinder.

Re-certification is ONLY required to get your cylinders refilled. They can sit with expired certifications for as long as you like.
    Right on both counts!

I acquired an MT Oxy cylinder on the cheap some time back then learned none of the suppliers within a hundred miles swap or fill user-owned Oxy cylinders larger than 20cuft. I considered removing the valve and cutting the bottom off so it could be used a big wind chime. Thought better of that and hunted down an LWS that handled the brand that was on the label and gave it to them. They were most happy to receive it into inventory! All I got for my efforts was a cordial "Thank you, Sir!" I took the loss out of my bar bill that month.

Mondo
    Member, AWS
    Lincoln ProMIG 140
    Lincoln AC Tombstone
    Craftsman Lathe 12 x 24 c1935
    Atlas MFC Horizontal Mill
    Craftsman Commercial Lathe 12 x 36 c1970
    - - -
    I'll just keep on keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt
    I don't agree with the "safety first instead of duty first" part of that quote. I lot of people get hurt that way. Maybe that works on the battle field in a war, but in industry workers who are injured or killed are very costly and don't get much done.

Please forgive me for hijacking this thread and your favorite signature line.

Mondo
    Member, AWS
    Lincoln ProMIG 140
    Lincoln AC Tombstone
    Craftsman Lathe 12 x 24 c1935
    Atlas MFC Horizontal Mill
    Craftsman Commercial Lathe 12 x 36 c1970
    - - -
    I'll just keep on keepin' on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    I don't agree with the "safety first instead of duty first" part of that quote. I lot of people get hurt that way. Maybe that works on the battle field in a war, but in industry workers who are injured or killed are very costly and don't get much done.

Please forgive me for hijacking this thread and your favorite signature line.

Mondo
    Perfectly Ok. Each individual must decide for themselves what that means to them.