Restraunt stainless welding what welder
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Restraunt stainless welding what welder

I recently started welding for a contractor that does remodels and stainless repair. He likes my work and was hoping i could take over his stainless repairs.

Id be lookinh to get in with a minimal investment then upgrade later. If i can do a good, the money is there.

Tig will be powerd off my bobcat or possibly inside poeer source.

What about a wire feed set up strictly for stainless?

Re: Restraunt stainless welding what welder

You can Tig weld stainless steel with a Tig rig, with your Bobcat.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

An inverter for portability, Dual voltage so you can pickup power any where, thin gauge stainless you could run off a 115 volt line. Commercial Kitchens usually have dedicated 115v, and 220v lines around. You might need some adapter plugs. Much easier to keep a seperate mig and tig unit if you can afford it . Pick you favorite color Red, Blue, Green, yellow.
    Miller- diversion/ 212
    Lincoln- 210mp / sw200
    ESAB - ?? / ??
    Everlast - ?? / ??

A 60cf tank is really easy to move around in small kitchen 1 Ar(TIG), and 1 tr-mix(MIG).

Somebody else on here had a Hand truck set up for a similar application. I'm thinking of making something like that for portable jobs. Something that will go over thresholds over anti-trip mats, and turn in tight aisles.

Good Luck, hope you get some work out of it
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches

Quote Originally Posted by evan View Post
    I recently started welding for a contractor that does remodels and stainless repair. He likes my work and was hoping i could take over his stainless repairs.

Id be lookinh to get in with a minimal investment then upgrade later. If i can do a good, the money is there.

Tig will be powerd off my bobcat or possibly inside poeer source.

What about a wire feed set up strictly for stainless?
    whats your budget?? and you probably want to get a unit to do aluminum, lots of that in a restaurant, may not be your primary weld, but if a quick repair or mod come up it would make you look good if you can handle that and they dont need to call another welder in to do it.. just a thought... the lincoln SW200 will do all that and dual voltage, and no need to upgrade if you buy quality once...

IMHO I would stay away from mig for that kind of work. The stainless spatter takes a lot longer to cool than carbon steel . Those little beads will do a lot of damage before they cool off. I would get an inverter tig machine that can plug into in-house electric and can also run off your Bobcat with an extention cord. To get started a nice DC tig machine would suffice for under $1000 but you will find you will pick up some extra work if you are aluminum capable.
    On stainless in kitchen you will find less is more and will want to use as little heat as possible on items. The ability to do smooth welds also lends itself to food service so cleaning for sanitation is easier. I would have both a foot pedal and a thumb lever available along with just an on of button for versatility for positions you will need to weld in. Make sure you have 2T nd 4T capability on the welder. Welding for food service has a different slant to it . You want to plan welds that are best for sanitation and strength is usually a secondary concern since most of the stuff you will do is not under much stress. In some cases you will need to shield the back side of a weld too so have a plan.
    Plan your work for protection of people working in the kitchens while you are working . Keep sparks to a minimum and have several way to cut and prep. Be prepared to buff and polish your work when you are done.
    Last edited by thegary; 04-10-2018 at 12:09 PM.

When I started doing lab, cleanroom, and restaurant on site work I put like $5k into my Dynasty200DX rig. I had no problem with plant managers and security clearing my Miller equipment. Over time my daughter commandeered it for her aerospace welding. So I purchased the LincolnSW200. Does the job, don't use the pulse when plugged into 115 volts as it kills the max output, and security recognizes the Lincoln name. That and there were times that power supplied to me was sketchy and figured with Lincoln's 5 year warranty I could afford a meltdown. Sometimes I get out on the jobsite and the metal described was wrong and is alum. No problem there.

So the only thing the Lincoln is lacking is the low start amps when I weld really thin sheet. But using the layrod start technique it works fine. The LincolnSW200 put me back some $1500 bucks. I would take the Vulcan ProTig200 out but some people frown on unknown brands.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

Oh. The LincolnSW200 comes with an SSC foot pedal. I also picked up an SSC finger control from Gamble. So I am set for the field.
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX3ea,Dynasty200DX,Th ermalArc400GTSW,LincolnSW2002ea., MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200withspoolgun,MKCobra Mig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig3ea.

I see a lot of the Miller Maxstar setup on restaurant stainless. Fairly inexpensive, smal, tig machine. Spend more money on copper backing plates and clamps.

If I were to do restaurant stainless and was starting out cheap, and knowing what I know now.....I would seriously consider the Maxstar 150stl. I have a friend who owns one and we use each others stuff a lot. Between us we have about everything. I've used this little thing a lot. For DC tig or stick it is truly sweet. it is more than enough amps to weld restaurant equipment very nice, quite and sanitary.
    It is small and very light weight. It can be in it's own case. If you were to go bigger amps then the choices are many but they are heavier to carry around.
    I have done restaurant stainless about every way you can. using an engine drive and dragging in all your stuff sucks. Especially when it's cold outside (or hot) and no one can keep the door closed for a bunch of leads. Plus parking and noise.
    With todays inverters you could almost hitchhike and bring everything you need to the job IMO!
    I've used my 200 Dynasty (in restaurants) and it's a bit heavy to lug around compared to the little 150. If you bought a Maxstar 150 cheap, it could pay for a better machine if you need to do aluminum, but you will always still use the Maxstar. It is just too darn handy.
    Miller Dynasty 700
    Miller 350P with Aluma-pro push-pull
    Miller 280 Dynasty with expansion card
    Dynasty 200 DX

Enuff power and hand tools to fix or create one of anything..... but mass produce nothing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    If I were to do restaurant stainless and was starting out cheap, and knowing what I know now.....I would seriously consider the Maxstar 150stl. I have a friend who owns one and we use each others stuff a lot. Between us we have about everything. I've used this little thing a lot. For DC tig or stick it is truly sweet. it is more than enough amps to weld restaurant equipment very nice, quite and sanitary.
    It is small and very light weight. It can be in it's own case. If you were to go bigger amps then the choices are many but they are heavier to carry around.
    I have done restaurant stainless about every way you can. using an engine drive and dragging in all your stuff sucks. Especially when it's cold outside (or hot) and no one can keep the door closed for a bunch of leads. Plus parking and noise.
    With todays inverters you could almost hitchhike and bring everything you need to the job IMO!
    I've used my 200 Dynasty (in restaurants) and it's a bit heavy to lug around compared to the little 150. If you bought a Maxstar 150 cheap, it could pay for a better machine if you need to do aluminum, but you will always still use the Maxstar. It is just too darn handy.
    The local college has a Maxstar 150. They use the heck out of it, and they wish they had more. Can' beat the quality of the arc plugged into 115volts.

A small machine that can run on 120v power would probably be able to do 90% of any kitchen work. That max star would be good choice to start with for sure.

Pick up a couple of small rolls of flux core stainless and play with it on your mig. It goes down just as nice as an electrode. Plenty good for snapped hinges and ears-brackets for installs or
    moving stuff to another area.. HTP has some. Blue Demon is what I have and I see the gurlz at Hobart have some out now.I
    Need to order some more heat stop goop too.

trust me on this....any thing you can do to keep metal out of your customers muffins will be appreciated.
    When you come in and use grinders and mig, they are blown away (unless it's happened before)
    In the kitchen you wanna be a NINJA
    Miller Dynasty 700
    Dynasty 200 DX

Enuff power and hand tools to fix or create one of anything..... but mass produce nothing!!!

trust me on this....any thing you can do to keep metal out of your customers muffins will be appreciated.
    When you come in and use grinders and mig, they are blown away (unless it's happened before)
    Yep. Clean tight welds, and rub down with a maroon scotchbrite pad and hit the road before they open for breakfast.

Hmm I guess our restaurants differ
    Name:  img_3446.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  93.3 KB

I used a miller maxstar 161s in a few government and medical facilities. One thing to keep in mind is the fire marshalls for these facilities will give you alot less hassle as your not creating the spatter you would with a mig setup. I imagine you could run into similair problems in the restaurant business, especially with the presence of food grease. Would have been nice to have pulse features but the maxstar got the job done for the money.
    Everlast 255ext
    Trailblazer 275nt
    Hypertherm Powermax1000
    Acra Mill
    Syncrowave 200
    Hobart 210mvp
    Ellis 3000
    Rockwell 10x36 lathe
    Grizzly G0704
    Hossfeld 2 bender
    Huth bender

I saw a tiny little esab thing at welding store i xant remember the model it was dual voltage and cost about 600 and that was with a 20 bottle.
    Had me thinking.

The bobcat died, ive been thinking hard about a trailblazer. The generator is damn handy. I didnt realize how handy untill i had a bobcat with me daily.

Thank you guys for all great replies. Ill look into the max star

I've done multiple million dollar jobs with stainless handrails using a $125 purse sized Chinese TIG welder. Cheap tig welders are fine to use. You can pick up 10 of them for the price of one comparable Miller purse sized welder.

Here's the cute little yellow thing I used
    Name:  IMG_20120705_125733.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  131.5 KB
    Name:  IMAG0110.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  188.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_20120925_115319.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  105.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by TheBFA View Post
    I've done multiple million dollar jobs with stainless handrails using a $125 purse sized Chinese TIG welder. Cheap tig welders are fine to use. You can pick up 10 of them for the price of one comparable Miller purse sized welder.

Here's the cute little yellow thing I used
    Name:  IMG_20120705_125733.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  131.5 KB
    Name:  IMAG0110.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  188.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_20120925_115319.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  105.0 KB
    Nice!!
    I love it.
    It certainly doesn't take a whole lot to DC tig, and this is a great example IMO.
    Miller Dynasty 700
    Dynasty 200 DX

This is the type of work I do all the time. I have all miller but that is just my preference.

I would get the maxstar 150 STH. The high frequency works awesome when you blow holes into the thing that was way over polished and is 14 ga and not 1/8" anymore. Sinks for me were notorious for doing that. The corners would be great but closer to the top was thinner. After a while, you get to learn where the factory welders start and where they end. Where the ends were made while it was hit and dug in deeper so they over polished to compensate.

I stay away from 110 outlets as some places hire the cheapest electricians and when you blow the CB on a line with a computer on it, you will hear about it.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk