Latest From The Shop
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Latest From The Shop

A 7M bowpicker, for sport use. The only interesting thing about this is that I used Maxal 4943 wire to build the cabin, 1/8" 5052. I'm learning it and liking it more and more. It is soo much easier overhead, down and up, compared to 5356. Bright shiny welds with almost no smut. A little sensitive to hot cracking. Kinda sneaking up on it, not completely trusting it, or more correctly, trusting me. I have a small project, a 16' pontoon cat that I'm going to build for myself out of .100" stuff that I'm gonna use only the new wire on. I'm pretty cautious. Don't trust it below water yet. Or serious structural.

Name:  051 (Large).jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  138.2 KB

Re: Latest From The Shop

Looking good Yofish! Do you have any close up pictures for us? I am no expert regarding wires or proceses, but I do enjoy nice weldments as much as anyone else!

Mikel

looks amazing. i want to build an aluminum boat real bad. where do you blue print design from? in house?

its amazing to me what something like will fetch$ i'm a small shop but dial one of those in and it seems business explodes. there is allot of them in my area. so far in the marine ind. i only do repair/ retrofit on aluminum and steel vessels.

haven't tried the 4943 yet (be very interested in hearing more as you go) but finally done feeding 5356 from a suitcase. just as i was beginning not to hate it a push pull fell into my lap. hope to get some time on it soon
    General Contractor
    Commercial Industrial & Custom Residential
    Specializing in all things Metal

Yofish, you do some fine work!! Bob

Quote Originally Posted by tracymobilecnc View Post
    looks amazing. i want to build an aluminum boat real bad. where do you blue print design from? in house?

its amazing to me what something like will fetch$ i'm a small shop but dial one of those in and it seems business explodes. there is allot of them in my area. so far in the marine ind. i only do repair/ retrofit on aluminum and steel vessels.

haven't tried the 4943 yet (be very interested in hearing more as you go) but finally done feeding 5356 from a suitcase. just as i was beginning not to hate it a push pull fell into my lap. hope to get some time on it soon
    Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I do all the design work myself and employ no help. I'm half-arsed retired, only do two a year and take from June-ish to after moose season off. I just dink away at it; seldom work more than 6-7 hrs a day with a nice siesta after lunch. Everything except the cab is CNC plaz cut.

Gorgeous!

I really like the lines on your boats, YoFish. I feel this one has a great blend of workboat/downeast flare - and pleasing to the eyes as well.

I contacted you a while ago about plans from one of your builds. Subsequently, I've been helping a friend weld out a "kit" CNC skiff in my free time. Wow. I've been schooled... I consider(ed) myself a fairly competent welder on most boat-type things (Mild Steel / Stainless / Alu. ).

Learning how aluminum reacts to heat/stress and recognizing how to maintain uniform shape and dimensions have been a whole new learning curve for me. My friend and I spent half of the build fighting welder issues; we were finally able to get my XMT 304 into his shop. Consistency in weld parameters and bead appearance are the next two hurdles that we're overcoming now...

Rambling - but, going through the build process has given me a new appreciation for yours and Kevin's talents.

Someday I'll have the shop space and time to build one of my own; pending "boat stuff" I may have the next three months off!
    Do you really know all of the work that goes into getting that fish onto your plate?

Quote Originally Posted by jeverich View Post
    Gorgeous!

I really like the lines on your boats, YoFish. I feel this one has a great blend of workboat/downeast flare - and pleasing to the eyes as well.

I contacted you a while ago about plans from one of your builds. Subsequently, I've been helping a friend weld out a "kit" CNC skiff in my free time. Wow. I've been schooled... I consider(ed) myself a fairly competent welder on most boat-type things (Mild Steel / Stainless / Alu. ).

Learning how aluminum reacts to heat/stress and recognizing how to maintain uniform shape and dimensions have been a whole new learning curve for me. My friend and I spent half of the build fighting welder issues; we were finally able to get my XMT 304 into his shop. Consistency in weld parameters and bead appearance are the next two hurdles that we're overcoming now...

Rambling - but, going through the build process has given me a new appreciation for yours and Kevin's talents.

Someday I'll have the shop space and time to build one of my own; pending "boat stuff" I may have the next three months off!
    Thanks J. Yes, the 'putting together' of all the parts takes some time to appreciate. I remember a thread from long ago where the discussion was about hiring weldors to do boats. Kevin had about the best take on the matter: the short version of which is; it can be more of a problem than it's worth to overcome the muscle memory and resistance to overcome that! I would say this is especially true with AL. Hiring a good steel guy to do AL can be a disaster. It takes some time to grasp how to go about it without making a boat NOT be a potato chip or hockey sick. On these small skiffs if anyone thinks they are gonna SPRAY BABY! every weld, well then, they are in for a steep learning curve. Another real big thing is tacks that are over done and tacks that are under done. There can be some rather unpleasant consequences from both. They needs be 'right there'. You doing a SpecMar? Those critters have A LOT of parts!

Best of luck on your learning, show us some pics, please.

WELL DONE!!! Beautiful work!
    -Doogie

Miller 350P
    Miller Trailblazer 325 EFI w/ Excel Power
    Lincoln LN25 suitcase welder
    XMT 304/22a feeder
    Miller Syncrowave 350LX
    Miller Econotig
    Hobart Handler 140
    (2) Uni-Hydro 42-14
    Hypertherm 65 plasma
    WEBB Gap bed lathe

I assisted some on a seine skiff kit for a friend. Luckily the guy ramrodding the project had many years of experience. The kit went together fairly well but we placed quite a bit of 1" flat bar inside the hull structure and redesigned the motor mounts. The factory design was just not strong enough in the opinion of the boss man. It was designed for a jet unit and we installed a prop so that took some redesign on the tunnel/stern. Seining skiffs live a tough life. It is back in after 2 years of work for repairs. I haven't seen what needs fixin yet..

Quote Originally Posted by jeverich View Post
    Gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by Yofish View Post
    A 7M bowpicker, for sport use. The only interesting thing about this is that I used Maxal 4943 wire to build the cabin, 1/8" 5052. I'm learning it and liking it more and more. It is soo much easier overhead, down and up, compared to 5356. Bright shiny welds with almost no smut. A little sensitive to hot cracking. Kinda sneaking up on it, not completely trusting it, or more correctly, trusting me. I have a small project, a 16' pontoon cat that I'm going to build for myself out of .100" stuff that I'm gonna use only the new wire on. I'm pretty cautious. Don't trust it below water yet. Or serious structural.

Name:  051 (Large).jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  138.2 KB
    yofish; about what would a completed boat like that run for? i'm close to the myakka river and the last year or so i've been thinking of trying to build something like that. it would be a nice retirement project that i could get lots of use from.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    yofish; about what would a completed boat like that run for? i'm close to the myakka river and the last year or so i've been thinking of trying to build something like that. it would be a nice retirement project that i could get lots of use from.
    Assuming you are talking about building it yourself? The raw materials in this was over 7K. That included the cutting. Not including gas, wire etc. Over 32 lbs wire and over 450 CU FT of gas. I'm building another just like it but without the cab and the materials went up 2K! Our friends the suppliers, who just laugh when you ask why, are taking advantage of Trump trade wobbles. No matter that supposedly, Mexico and Canada (our largest suppliers) are exempt, but they are all just giggles. Eighty cents a pound increase....Made me wish that I would have bought another package on the come. Actually Trump's target, China, is rather low on the list of exporters to the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Yofish View Post
    Our friends the suppliers, who just laugh when you ask why, are taking advantage of Trump trade wobbles. No matter that supposedly, Mexico and Canada (our largest suppliers) are exempt, but they are all just giggles. Eighty cents a pound increase....Made me wish that I would have bought another package on the come. Actually Trump's target, China, is rather low on the list of exporters to the USA.
    Funny (I guess) - I peruse the morning headlines with my morning coffee, and had yet to make the connection to "local" prices of Alu. increasing. Similar to your location, costs here on "the island" are already incredibly high as it is. It will be interesting to see if the trade debacles translate to local pricing.

You'll appreciate this: I was fabricating mounts for an oil change manifolds on a local boat yesterday. Needed a 12" piece of 1/4" x 2" Mild Steel flat stock. Crewman came back with a piece of 1/4" x 2.5" x 36" of Stainless. Supplier claimed it was "all he had for those dimensions!!" I'm in the wrong business.

Sidenote - I have always appreciated your input on Deckboss. Very few people seem to get "it".
    Do you really know all of the work that goes into getting that fish onto your plate?

Speaking to the increased costs of AL, here's a good piece on that. Haven't seen this kind of action since 2000:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...es-rock-market

Nice work, yofish,

I have plans for a jetboat, even collected most of the aluminum, just need some time during the winter without other projects in the shop.

So how do you plan on powering it? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo2327 View Post
    So how do you plan on powering it? Just curious.
    I just build'em and let the customer decide what flavor motor. I say 140-200 HP, they choose. This one gets a 175 HP Suzuki.