Thermal arc 300 ac/dc
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thermal arc 300 ac/dc

A nice clean looking thermal arc, arc master 300 ac-dc unit has come available near me, asking price $1500 with torch, flow meter, no tank, no pedal, no cart.

Im considering it, thinking he may be a bit high on price?

Otherwise i am leaning towards invertig 221 if i were to purchase new.

Re: Thermal arc 300 ac/dc

If it's more than 10 years old, forget trying to get boards or custom parts.
    In service-this 300 GTSW---you didn't specify....had a poor service record from '96-'98 onwards.
    Mine lasted 16 years. Many didn't go 6 months.
    However-in /96-7 it was the only functional, fully unbalanced AC wave inverter available. Blue and Red
    had tried, failed and pulled their offerings. I wasn't about to buy kemppi or frontius (no support).
    I was just DUMB LUCKY. The punch this has on AC -AL was superb.

--waaay overpriced with very questionable service for your used one.
    Get a new one-esab, etc.
    Blackbird

it says made in Japan, would that be by sanrex? I don't know how to tell build date by serial number but I believe these were built from 2006 and on to?

Its not the GTSW, its the 300 acdc.

Are they junk?

I would think that would be a Sanrex machine, I have a 400 GMS that does DC lift tig and the arc quality is really nice. Personally i’d be all over that machine if I was in the market but I’d be looking to get the price down. 300 amps is pretty nice, how much would you have to spend on a new 300 amp Miller or Lincoln ? There isn’t any factory support to be sure so use that as a bargaining chip to get the price lowered. If he won’t move the price down into your comfort zone you can always walk away. Do a web search, there are new sanrex machines being offered for sale so there may be some support available just not as easy as if you had a Miller or Lincoln.

Good points, thanks for the help

I would be going home with that if it was near me.
    ESAB Rebels 215/235, Hypertherm 85, 45xp, Miller 350p, Synchrowave 350 LX, Thermal Arc 185, Everlast 255EXT, Cutmaster 52.

Northerndave, I have the 200 amp model of that machine and purchased it new back in 2012. I have had 0 trouble with it. I am a hobby welder so do not use it daily but often enough. Try it out. Wish mine was a 300 as that one is. If it was me I would jump on it. Bob

Quote Originally Posted by northerndave View Post
    Its not the GTSW, its the 300 acdc.

Are they junk?
    Most definitely not. Great machine to weld with, high quality Japanese Sanrex unit.

BUT, it is pretty much an orphan, and is coming up on 10 years old. So long as it's good, it'll be great, but if something goes out, don't count on getting it back in service.

I make my living with it's little brother, and I wouldn't trade that machine for anything. For a bit less money, I'd likely buy the one you found as a spare (I really do like the arc characteristics), but it'd be tough to pay much for an orphan machine.
    Who is John Galt?

I have a 250GTS that is somewhere around a 2000 model years. The only problem I ever had with it is it would not strike an arc in 18 degree weather. After looking in the manuel it says the operating temp range is 17 degree at the bottom . I took it into the house and let it sit in the basement over night and it worked just fine. I have owned it since 2006 and purchased it used on Ebay for $800 with a pedal and flow meter. I do not use it every day but it always works as it should. I love how small it is( about the size of a lunch box).