Rafting Trailer Build - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Rafting Trailer Build

Quote Originally Posted by WeldedSpoon View Post
    Thanks! I agree, I am happy with it over all, the cross member i mention above and not flat any more when are sprung upward when the trailer is on it's wheels. Maybe i can just call it pre-camber for added load capacity.
    Now you're thinking like a professional welder/ fabricator.

So I am getting close to completing this trailer, here are some current pics of progress. Headed out this weekend for it's maiden voyage.
    Name:  20180506_154641.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  101.1 KB
    Name:  20180514_194617.jpg
Size:  74.1 KB
    Name:  20180514_214741.jpg
Size:  56.9 KB
    Name:  20180514_185135.jpg
Size:  52.4 KB
    Name:  20180514_214648.jpg
Size:  59.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by WeldedSpoon View Post
    Attachment 1686058

Attachment 1686061

Any help would be appreciated!
    Weld in the top left of the first pic looks questionable, especially for what is doing.

2nd pic. I personally feel center of a tube for a single gusset like you have is the wrong place for them. The middle of the tube is the weakest spot, if the upright tube does decide to flex and utilize the gusset you put all that stress into that weak spot and the area is prone to cracks. A better place is on the side of the tube for a single gusset, although this looks goofy IMO. I would have most likely cut a piece of tubing on a 45 and welded that in there. Also no need to weld across the tubing, just down the sides. Welding across the tubing ties it into the weak part and gives an area for cracks to form. I am sure some have a different view on this so take it for what it is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxford View Post
    Weld in the top left of the first pic looks questionable, especially for what is doing.

2nd pic. I personally feel center of a tube for a single gusset like you have is the wrong place for them. The middle of the tube is the weakest spot, if the upright tube does decide to flex and utilize the gusset you put all that stress into that weak spot and the area is prone to cracks. A better place is on the side of the tube for a single gusset, although this looks goofy IMO. I would have most likely cut a piece of tubing on a 45 and welded that in there. Also no need to weld across the tubing, just down the sides. Welding across the tubing ties it into the weak part and gives an area for cracks to form. I am sure some have a different view on this so take it for what it is worth.
    Thanks for the input.