How To Weld This - MIG or Stick? Cut down?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

How To Weld This - MIG or Stick? Cut down?

I have a piece of 1" angle iron needs welding onto a piece of 2" angle.

For me that's not so straightforward and easy. Because I'm very much a beginner, okay.

Because the edge I have to weld is down at the bottom of this 2" 'well' and it runs parallel with the vertical side and only about 1/16 - 1/8 away from it.

So I can't easily get a MIG wire down in there. I certainly can't point the wire into the angle of the lap joint as I'd usually try to do.

So maybe I should Stick weld it? Using the smallest rods I've got and with my clumsiness that's going to mean globs of metal along the bead here and there that'll need grinding down - I'd like a flat surface in there - and my little grinder won't reach down in there I think.

And the stick could weld against the side wall if I'm not careful. As could the MIG if I use it with the shroud off.

So maybe I should cut the 1" angle down to 3/4" on the side I"m going to weld, would you say? That'd make it a bit easier to get at the edge.

Or maybe cut slots into it and weld down the slots?

Name:  DSCF2002 [800x600].JPG
Views: 221
Size:  110.1 KBName:  DSCF2003 [800x600].JPG
Views: 215
Size:  117.1 KB

Re: How To Weld This - MIG or Stick? Cut down?

Can you weld some flat bar in the same orientation as the angle iron leg so your doing a outside corner joint. So you can eliminate the smaller angle iron entirely, or does you design prevent that from working? or I would drill some holes into the angle iron and plug weld them then weld the small angle irons heal to the lip of the 2" angle once again as a outside corner joint.
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Lincoln SquareWave 200
    Miller Spectrum 375 X-treme Plasma
    UNIBOR EQ35N Mag Drill

Welding Table Build.
    http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...%29&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by f150skidoo View Post
    Can you weld some flat bar in the same orientation as the angle iron leg so your doing a outside corner joint. So you can eliminate the smaller angle iron entirely, or does you design prevent that from working? or I would drill some holes into the angle iron and plug weld them then weld the small angle irons heal to the lip of the 2" angle once again as a outside corner joint.
    I'll show you what's going on.

It is a detachable castor wheel. There's four of them. Eight later.

It is a 'U' which holds the horizontal bottom bar of the item we're going to move.

That bar gets clamped in there by clamping bolts which go through the outer wall - flat bar as was, angle as is proposed.

There was flat bar welded on but it was too weak and bent outward when the clamping bolts were tightened.

The castor being offset so far (to allow for it to swing around) it exerts quite some leverage so the bolts need to be tight.

So I'm thinking to beef everything up by replacing the flat bar with angle and incidentally moving the clamping bolts down so's there's less chance of outward bending again. Pulling everything together right down into the bottom corner.

The bottom half of the angle will strengthen the bottom of the 'U'

Alternative is to put a castor on the inside, too but it seems like overkill. Big waste.

Name:  DSCF2004 [800x600].JPG
Views: 183
Size:  126.7 KB

and p.s. it looks like the steel hasn't bent at all - just my weld. That was a MIG weld all along there. It doesn't seem to have broke, just bent. ? The formed angle should be stronger than my weld I'm thinking.
    Last edited by abrogard; 04-12-2018 at 08:42 PM.

I would look at gusseting around that corner with flat bar cut and welded to strengthen it.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN