Various shapes and sizes of steel
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Various shapes and sizes of steel

How or where can a guy find information on the various sizes and shapes of steel? Some times it seems to be pipe, sometimes tube? Sometimes c channel and sometimes u ? Are there common wall thicknesses that pertain to each size?

Just looking for a general reference so I can learn the nomenclature and options.
    Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP

Re: Various shapes and sizes of steel

A lot of the bigger steel supply places have a booklet they give out showing the information you're after. Also all of it can be found on line.... just search for pipe, tube, beam, plate, etc. "size chart".

Steel supply houses have them but its like pulling teath to get them to give you one. I have a few that are about 20 years old that I use but as HT2 said, you can find the info on line easy enough.

Maybe this online store will help. By the way their prices are crazy expensive.

https://www.metalsdepot.com

Quote Originally Posted by jakedaawg View Post
    How or where can a guy find information on the various sizes and shapes of steel? Some times it seems to be pipe, sometimes tube? Sometimes c channel and sometimes u ? Are there common wall thicknesses that pertain to each size?

Just looking for a general reference so I can learn the nomenclature and options.
    Machinery's handbook often called machinist handbook by those who dont read the front cover

Stop by your local steel supplier, usually they have them on the counter or ask them for one. I have delt with three houses in the past five years and they all had one. Large suppliers usually have spiral bound booklets and small suppliers have pamphlets. Otherwise, as others here have stated, internet is your friend. Bob

"The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks guys, the links above solved my immediate issues...

I sure appreciate the help.
    Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP