E6011 Keeps snuffing out! - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: E6011 Keeps snuffing out!

I have a 160A Amica ARC-160D inverter welder and have the same problem with 6011.. Not only that but the 6011 rods stick like crazy and impossible to keep the arc going plus rods catch on fire.. I'll stick with 6013 and 7018AC rods as they seem decent and I am only a backyard hobby welder.. Nothing mission critical being done here.. I am running 3/32" rods right now and plan on trying 1/8" 6013's next.. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Raybonz View Post
    I have a 160A Amica ARC-160D inverter welder and have the same problem with 6011.. Not only that but the 6011 rods stick like crazy and impossible to keep the arc going plus rods catch on fire.. I'll stick with 6013 and 7018AC rods as they seem decent and I am only a backyard hobby welder.. Nothing mission critical being done here.. I am running 3/32" rods right now and plan on trying 1/8" 6013's next.. Good luck!
    usually at certain amp ranges i can get 6011 and even 6010 to work on my inverter dragging rod. not too hot and not too cold amps and use correct rod size. for example 3/8 plate use 5/32 rod not 3/32 or even 1/8 rod
    sure some rod brands allow a longer arc length and other 6011 rods are almost like 6010 and are harder to use without sputtering arc. many inverters actually have very high open circuit voltage often over 90 volts but its only for a split second to reignite a hot rod brought back close to hot metal without touching normally
    basically many are designing welding machines so you cannot use a long arc with stick or tig. when tig arc goes out fast you dont loose shielding if you keep cup close to weld. if you pull up 3/8" many arc just goes out. on a machine that can long arc stick rod like 6010 if used for tig you can often pull a 1/2" long tig arc with of course bad argon shielding
    of course better machines have a 6010 mode or plug you select what you want long arc ability or only short arc

I know a guy who swears by the old Airco Easyarc 6011C rods. They are now made by Lincoln Electric and called Murex 6011C. This guy will not use either of the other two Lincoln 6011s. Too bad they only come in 50 lb. boxes these days.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Quote Originally Posted by SquirmyPug View Post
    I've taught lots of guys how to weld. If you're going to school to learn soon, then please just leave the 6010/6011 alone until you get a machine that burns it well. It's easier to teach someone that has almost no knowledge than someone who knows wrong information.

Get lots of practice with tig and 7018 if you're able to practice correctly and improve as you go. The internet can help a lot, reading here and watching good videos on YouTube can really help you get ready for the real thing. Myself and others here on WW have helped guys learning, and I'm sure would be happy to help you. When you're ready, start a thread for your practice. Post your machine and settings, your electrodes, amperage, argon CFH if your tig welding, material type, and I'm sure there is other information I'm not thinking of now. And also take lots of pictures, pictures can help a lot with diagnosing issues with welds.
    I wanted to reply and eat some humble pie...as they say...I was running some beads of E6011, 3/32 (Forney) and 1/8" (Fleetwood 180) on 1/4" plate. I also have some squares of 1/4" plate about 4"x4", I welded a couple T-joints with E6011, and after I used E7018 (Excalibur) in both 3/32" and 1/8" and filled over the top of the fillet.

The small 4"x4" T-joints were much rustier, sitting outside for about 10 years, but the 6011 did burn through and fuse well...wasn't the prettiest nor was it the cleanest, I realized later I could have turned the amps down to eliminate some, as 6011 doesn't need as much amps as 7018. I did use about 65% on the Arc Force...the point is, when I switched back over to E7018 the weld was just easier to run, was smoother, was cleaner and really just more pleasing to use.

I think I'm better off sticking with 7018, and maybe you're right...maybe my inverter just doesn't run it very well and I should not try to force the issue, kind of the advice you were giving to Mark (Mmock4).

Growing up in the 60s and 70s, I don't mind eating some Humble Pie once in a while...

I did order some Hobart 1/16" E7018 and when they get here I want to try welding some thin plate and see how they will do...

Quote Originally Posted by Oldendum View Post
    I know a guy who swears by the old Airco Easyarc 6011C rods. They are now made by Lincoln Electric and called Murex 6011C. This guy will not use either of the other two Lincoln 6011s. Too bad they only come in 50 lb. boxes these days.
    That guy could be me, That stuff will run on any machine, period. the stabilizers they use in the flux coating are designed for low voltage buzzboxes, on a good DC machine 1/8' will run at 65 amps easy and still focus the arc. I use tons of the stuff to repair galvanized toilet paper on irrigation equipment with good results.

Hang on a sec...withou me reading the whole damn thing.
    This is 1/8 6011 going after 3/8 plate at 85-90-100 amps ? You running this thing on the 110 side ?
    3/8 plate and 1/8" 6011 I'd be smoking along about 130-140 on this blue Chinesium inverter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Hang on a sec...withou me reading the whole damn thing.
    This is 1/8 6011 going after 3/8 plate at 85-90-100 amps ? You running this thing on the 110 side ?
    3/8 plate and 1/8" 6011 I'd be smoking along about 130-140 on this blue Chinesium inverter.
    Running on 220 Mr.Bonzoo, but I can certainly give it a try at that amperage. I just pulled the amperage numbers out of a reference guide. This is a pad of beads however so don’t need extra deep penetration, just to be able to pull the puddle from one side to the other. Lol
    -Mark Smith

Everlast Powertig 185DV