Advice for future welder
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Advice for future welder

    So im curious? can any of you experienced welders give me some advice. As just a fabrictaion student i dont know the trade very well yet and wanted to know the area of the industry to start in if i want to become a knowledgeable and experienced tig welder?

    Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

  2. #2

    Re: Advice for future welder

    I would look into a small fab shop that works closely with machinists.
    Machinists often have small parts made out stainless or aluminium.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NW ON Canada
    Posts
    2,866

    Re: Advice for future welder

    Tig is more of a specialty welding process. Unless some fab shop is building something out of aluminum or stainless, they aren’t going to be tig ing much. Most fab shops run a lot of wire. Speed and production is the key here. Heavy duty fab shops that do a lot of structural work run dual shield (gas shielded flux core wire)
    Outside work will be stick welding or self shielded flux cor wire.
    A well rounded/versatile welder is also proficient cutting and gouging with oxy acetylene and arc air.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bluestar 2E
    Torchmate CNC table
    Ironworkers Local 720

    Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Not there
    Posts
    1,572

    Re: Advice for future welder

    Start looking to marine options. Boat builders, tuna tower makers,aluminum trailer makers(lotsa spool gun experience), tool box manufacturers.Race car people don't trust outsiders much.
    Now that I think about it "spool gun" was a few pResidents back. Those guys probably all use big mig machines with push/pull guns and pulse nowadays. WIMPS

  5. #5

    Re: Advice for future welder

    Quote Originally Posted by Whack n tack View Post
    I would look into a small fab shop that works closely with machinists.
    Machinists often have small parts made out stainless or aluminium.
    Great advice! That's how I got into it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bossier Parish La.
    Posts
    4,982

    Re: Advice for future welder

    Don't focus solely on TIG welding, learn and get proficient at stick and MIG welding, too. That way you are more versatile in what you can do, and be a more valuable employee to your company. There may be plenty of times when TIG is not an option, so you need to be able to use one or both of the other processes to get the job done. It would be a good idea to also learn oxy-acet welding, too.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    82

    Re: Advice for future welder

    Do every process.

    Every single bead we run is a practice bead make sure you have lots of practice before running your next practice beads for a paying customer.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    2,669

    Re: Advice for future welder

    If you are a fabrication student then your instructor should be your starting point. Your geographic area determines a lot. If you were in say Canada then you would seek advice from your training facility and the apprenticeship board which is different for each province. If you are in the States you will find that the kind of welding done in your area will be determined by location. Take a look at the local employment ads online or from some other source. That will tell you what is available locally. also ask yourself if you are willing to move and if you are willing to work for less to gain experience. If you are actually training as a fabricator you will soon discover that inside shops, fabricators make more than welders. In the field, welders often make more.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal-LA
    Posts
    8,417

    Re: Advice for future welder

    Quote Originally Posted by lotechman View Post
    If you are a fabrication student then your instructor should be your starting point. Your geographic area determines a lot. If you were in say Canada then you would seek advice from your training facility and the apprenticeship board which is different for each province. If you are in the States you will find that the kind of welding done in your area will be determined by location. Take a look at the local employment ads online or from some other source. That will tell you what is available locally. also ask yourself if you are willing to move and if you are willing to work for less to gain experience. If you are actually training as a fabricator you will soon discover that inside shops, fabricators make more than welders. In the field, welders often make more.
    That's some good advise there. Location is key. Back in school I had to endure a year of incarceration in an arc booth. I got lucky that my location "was" the aerospace mecca of the world. And my school was also top in SoCal, and my class were highly motivated. And I found tig. Things are not like that anymore but the work has stayed with me for 40 years. And I have also taken on a fabrication roll. All tig and no fab makes me a dull boy.

    With that said I don't think I would repeat that path in today's environment. I would focus on SAW, FCAW, and buy a tig for my own use and only weld alum. I would love to do bridge repair and retrofit but I am not in my 20s. Robots are not going to fill that nitch. 40 years ago who would guess that we let our transportation infrastructure rot.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    Miller Dynasty700DX, Dynasty350DX 2ea., Dynasty200DX, ThermalArc 400 GTSW, LincolnSW200 2ea., MillerMatic350P, MillerMatic200 with spoolgun, MKCobraMig260, Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm 1250

  10. #10

    Re: Advice for future welder

    repair type welding is where most of money is and will be in future
    As fab more and more work is going over seas it hard to ship Repair over seas

    Dave


    Quote Originally Posted by ajvenuti1 View Post
    So im curious? can any of you experienced welders give me some advice. As just a fabrictaion student i dont know the trade very well yet and wanted to know the area of the industry to start in if i want to become a knowledgeable and experienced tig welder?

    Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
RSS | Home | Penton Media | Contact Us | Subscribe | For Advertisers | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement