Advice for future welder
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Advice for future welder

So im curious? can any of you experienced welders give me some advice. As just a fabrictaion student i dont know the trade very well yet and wanted to know the area of the industry to start in if i want to become a knowledgeable and experienced tig welder?

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Re: Advice for future welder

I would look into a small fab shop that works closely with machinists.
    Machinists often have small parts made out stainless or aluminium.

Tig is more of a specialty welding process. Unless some fab shop is building something out of aluminum or stainless, they aren’t going to be tig ing much. Most fab shops run a lot of wire. Speed and production is the key here. Heavy duty fab shops that do a lot of structural work run dual shield (gas shielded flux core wire)
    Outside work will be stick welding or self shielded flux cor wire.
    A well rounded/versatile welder is also proficient cutting and gouging with oxy acetylene and arc air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bluestar 2E
    Torchmate CNC table
    Ironworkers Local 720

Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

Start looking to marine options. Boat builders, tuna tower makers,aluminum trailer makers(lotsa spool gun experience), tool box manufacturers.Race car people don't trust outsiders much.
    Now that I think about it "spool gun" was a few pResidents back. Those guys probably all use big mig machines with push/pull guns and pulse nowadays. WIMPS

Quote Originally Posted by Whack n tack View Post
    I would look into a small fab shop that works closely with machinists.
    Machinists often have small parts made out stainless or aluminium.
    Great advice! That's how I got into it.

Don't focus solely on TIG welding, learn and get proficient at stick and MIG welding, too. That way you are more versatile in what you can do, and be a more valuable employee to your company. There may be plenty of times when TIG is not an option, so you need to be able to use one or both of the other processes to get the job done. It would be a good idea to also learn oxy-acet welding, too.

Do every process.

Every single bead we run is a practice bead make sure you have lots of practice before running your next practice beads for a paying customer.

If you are a fabrication student then your instructor should be your starting point. Your geographic area determines a lot. If you were in say Canada then you would seek advice from your training facility and the apprenticeship board which is different for each province. If you are in the States you will find that the kind of welding done in your area will be determined by location. Take a look at the local employment ads online or from some other source. That will tell you what is available locally. also ask yourself if you are willing to move and if you are willing to work for less to gain experience. If you are actually training as a fabricator you will soon discover that inside shops, fabricators make more than welders. In the field, welders often make more.

Quote Originally Posted by lotechman View Post
    If you are a fabrication student then your instructor should be your starting point. Your geographic area determines a lot. If you were in say Canada then you would seek advice from your training facility and the apprenticeship board which is different for each province. If you are in the States you will find that the kind of welding done in your area will be determined by location. Take a look at the local employment ads online or from some other source. That will tell you what is available locally. also ask yourself if you are willing to move and if you are willing to work for less to gain experience. If you are actually training as a fabricator you will soon discover that inside shops, fabricators make more than welders. In the field, welders often make more.
    That's some good advise there. Location is key. Back in school I had to endure a year of incarceration in an arc booth. I got lucky that my location "was" the aerospace mecca of the world. And my school was also top in SoCal, and my class were highly motivated. And I found tig. Things are not like that anymore but the work has stayed with me for 40 years. And I have also taken on a fabrication roll. All tig and no fab makes me a dull boy.

With that said I don't think I would repeat that path in today's environment. I would focus on SAW, FCAW, and buy a tig for my own use and only weld alum. I would love to do bridge repair and retrofit but I am not in my 20s. Robots are not going to fill that nitch. 40 years ago who would guess that we let our transportation infrastructure rot.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    Miller Dynasty700DX, Dynasty350DX 2ea., Dynasty200DX, ThermalArc 400 GTSW, LincolnSW200 2ea., MillerMatic350P, MillerMatic200 with spoolgun, MKCobraMig260, Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm 1250

repair type welding is where most of money is and will be in future
    As fab more and more work is going over seas it hard to ship Repair over seas

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ajvenuti1 View Post
    So im curious? can any of you experienced welders give me some advice. As just a fabrictaion student i dont know the trade very well yet and wanted to know the area of the industry to start in if i want to become a knowledgeable and experienced tig welder?

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk