On the border, 30XP or 45XP? - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: On the border, 30XP or 45XP?

The Powermax 45 is by far the best value you'll find in a plasma cutter, period. The machine will straight up knock your socks off. As someone who builds smokers as well I would say go with the 45. That being said the Powermax 30 will do everything you're trying to do, but I guarantee you will be buying a 45 later on down the road. Just spend the extra $$ and get a 45 now with a decent compressor. You will not be disappointed, I promise!
    ESAB Powercut 1600/ Hypertherm 30XP + 45XP/ Lincoln Powermig 255/ Jet Band Saw
    Check out my plasma cutter reviews also!
    Current Project: 175 Gallon Reverse Flow BBQ Smoker!

Quote Originally Posted by JMDWelds View Post
    The Powermax 45 is by far the best value you'll find in a plasma cutter, period. The machine will straight up knock your socks off. As someone who builds smokers as well I would say go with the 45. That being said the Powermax 30 will do everything you're trying to do, but I guarantee you will be buying a 45 later on down the road. Just spend the extra $$ and get a 45 now with a decent compressor. You will not be disappointed, I promise!
    True ! I will say this. A couple years ago I sold a DV Miller 625. I bought a Powermax 45. It will outcut the Miller////a little. I lost the DV capability. I don't do enough outside work where I need to get 110 but it may be a huge thing for others. I also have a 65.
    If I had to own one machine for everything ? 45XP. There is a zillion ways to cut steel and I have them all. If my business was more focused on mobile I might lean back to the Miller.
    Hey Jim
    Tell those guys to up the dual volt to a 40 or so.....WITH AIR !

Hmmm...a 45XP DV Air w/ filter and I'll sell my left elbow to get one.
    1st person on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling signature!

HTP Invertig 221 D.V. Water-cooled
    HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
    Millermatic 211 Inv. MIG w/ Spoolmate 150
    Eastwood 40A Plasma

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Hmmm...a 45XP DV Air w/ filter and I'll sell my left elbow to get one.
    BUMP
    That's all it takes. Supply and demand and the whoreporations will make things happen
    Imagine 25-30 on 110 w/air and hook to a dryer outlet for the full 45 with the XP class consumables and on w/air. @ $2500. No problem
    Last edited by Bonzoo; 07-05-2018 at 01:21 AM.

One problem with a 45XP dual voltage would be the torch config. I sure would not want to be stuck with that size club/cable/ front end design on my 120 volt plasma cutter.. It would kill some of the best features I want in a 120 volt unit.. In fact the 30 air has a better nozzle layout,and more like the older standard Powermax 30.. I found a much better torch/cable layout in a new in box/old stock machine I setup for portable work..45 xp will stay on the cart, and the Thermal dynamics will get the 120 volt work. Saved about $1000.00 over a new model 120/240 unit. I can use a small Rolair JC-10 compressor with this combo no problem.. Meaning only 7 amps of 120 volt power to deal with..That puts it in portable as far as the generator goes too..

My main point is.... what works for one person, is a deal killer for the next guy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Esab 160i caddymig
    Hypertherm 45XP
    Thermal Arc LM-200 Lincoln feeders
    Thermal Arc Pee-Wee 85s
    Thermal Dynamics 38XL-SL-40

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!

Personally I would love to see a dual voltage 45 amp plasma with a built in air compressor for $2500. In reality I think the price would end up in the $3500 or so range if it had the same amount of power and duty cycle as the current 45XP produces.....about 6.5 kW (Kilowatts) of cutting power. When you get to that power level you need more air flow, which of course means a bigger compressor. Same with duty cycle, bigger compressor and better cooling efficiency, bigger IGBT switching transistors, bigger output inductors, etc. etc. I'm sure that one of the low cost import companies could build one and sell it in the $2500 or lower price range, however it would have a knock off low cost torch, lower duty cycle, less than stellar warranty coverage, difficulty repairing and finding parts. Hypertherm continuously surveys the entire world market to ensure the plasma cutters we are working on in our R&D labs are the right products for industry......so far we see little demand for plasma's with built in compressors that cost any more than our current Powermax30Air does. I did get to cut with a "backpack" plasma cutter....battery powered with a high pressure portable air tank in our advanced engineering labs. I think the biggest market for that may be for cutting open ATM machines! Jim Colt

$3500 would still be a plenty fair dealio. You figure what a generator and a decent medium portable compressor, plus the cost of a PM45 is and the $3500 doesn't hurt bad at all.
    I suppose the bean counters at Hypertherm could sort out the reality/feasibility of it all.

in all fairness a 45 air or 45xp air what ever it could be named would no longer be portable. Air compressors are not light "well not when coupled to a plasma cutter" and if they are they are not very reliable.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

I could see military or rescue applications for a backpack version.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

Quote Originally Posted by fasttruck860 View Post
    Hey guys,

I've finally decided to buy a Hypertherm plasma cutter and wanted some input on what cutter is going to best suit my needs. I started looking at the 30 Air since all I have right now is a twin tank compressor, but I realized that my compressor puts out 4.9 CFM @ 90psi. That would put me safely in the 30XP which is good since it's a bit cheaper, but then I started looking at the 45XP. That would require a new compressor and I just don't have room at my current house for one.

My first two projects are going to be smokers built out of 3/8" wall pipe and 1/4" for the rest of the parts. I seem to build a lot of bbqs for people. Once I find a new house I'm probably going to be building a saw mill, trailer and architectural elements for the house and property.

My question is if I'm going to be cutting 3/8" regularly and 1/2" sometimes will the 30Xp be a solid performer long term? Will the 45XP work with my smaller gallon/CFM in the short term (4-6 months) until I move and buy a larger compressor? I guess I'm looking for input from 30XP owners the most to see if the small capacity was a regret.
    U have the 45XP. My large compressor doesn't start for a long time when using it. In the old days I used propane tanks for extra air volume. Tee one into your line from the compressor. I had a few 100LB tanks, and a 100Gallon. You won't cut continuously.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

I just skimmed the tread so forgive me if I missed something.

I have a 45XP that I replaced an older PM1000 with. I find it to be an excellent machine and I would not consider a 30air for myself....not worth the decrease in cut speed/capacity for me.

As for your air requirements, I used to run 2 cheap (small) air compressors from a big box store, pigtailed together with an air tee, to run my PM1000. I was rarely waiting for the compressors when doing general hand cutting. Could be an option for you to add a cheap compressor in parallel with what you have - even if it’s just temporary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    in all fairness a 45 air or 45xp air what ever it could be named would no longer be portable. Air compressors are not light "well not when coupled to a plasma cutter" and if they are they are not very reliable.
    Well. You probably got it there, OTOH our society runs batterY and recharge-able lawn mowers and weed eaters these daze....yea....DAZE

I have a Cobalt oil less air compressor POS with a 40 gallon or bigger tank. In any case it's a pure POS through and through. If it was not for the tank it would be pretty light but still a POS. Did I mention it's a POS.
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

The bigger problem is that our VOC program (voice of the customer.....essentially continuous survey of end user wants, needs, budgets, etc) tells us that a few would sell, but not nearly enough to justify design and production of a 45 amp 6 kW plasma with dual voltage and an onboard compressor. It would be noble to offer one I suppose, but not profitable! Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    $3500 would still be a plenty fair dealio. You figure what a generator and a decent medium portable compressor, plus the cost of a PM45 is and the $3500 doesn't hurt bad at all.
    I suppose the bean counters at Hypertherm could sort out the reality/feasibility of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    The bigger problem is that our VOC program (voice of the customer.....essentially continuous survey of end user wants, needs, budgets, etc) tells us that a few would sell, but not nearly enough to justify design and production of a 45 amp 6 kW plasma with dual voltage and an onboard compressor. It would be noble to offer one I suppose, but not profitable! Jim Colt
    There you have it. It's kind of a shame but it is what it is. I'll expect the Chinese to come out with one sooner than later. ......probably creating another orgasm for the coupon cutters who worship at the church of harbored fright.

Working on logic, not a poll, The buyer of a 45 amp plasma will have a source of air. Even a small compressor will feed a big plasma if not used continuously. In my teens, I did spare time body work with a 1 HP compressor. I had a series of extra tanks for reserve. Sandblasting, or DA work would eventually deplete air supply, some waiting did happen. I supplemented it with a three HP, I was in heaven!

A facility I often do electrical work for just bought an on board compressor Hypertherm. I don't understand why. They have two air compressors 25 & 30 HP. Air is piped throughout the plant. The purchasing individual brags he got a tremendous price " 'cause he knows" an employee. I looked up his price, it is available from several companies.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.