Cutting wheels. - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutting wheels.

Re: Cutting wheels.

Who here uses a resparater while grinding with a cut off wheel, flapper disk or grinding disk?
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Who here uses a resparater while grinding with a cut off wheel, flapper disk or grinding disk?
    I wear a 3m pink one whenever I grind. I rarely do much cutting other than breaking a weld here and there.

Breathing stuff in is NOT good for you. And it’s definitey the last thing I need.

I usually gauge the effectiveness of my respiratory protection by how much black garbage comes out of my nose in the shower afterwards.

Name:  9227E796-40FC-4359-B127-A30AB11D1C73.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  106.0 KB
    Name:  79A4B091-7D39-48C7-B9FC-8398FD2908C8.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  129.1 KB
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

Lincoln 210mp
    Lincoln SW200

I wear a 3M with the pink pancake filters as well. Cant remember the filter number

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

I wear a 3M green, had it for years. Have replaced filters twice. I don't use it all the time when I grind, about half the time. Maybe this post will remind me to use it more often.

BTW, I'm especially careful to wear safety glasses, I find that to be the most dangerous when grinding...chips can even get under the lenses if you're not careful. Slag from stick welding is the worst for me when using a wire wheel. That slag flies everywhere when using the wire wheel.

I have a couple of respirators but rarely use them. I should use them when using rattle can paint.
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

I'd rather be dipped in kerosene and thrown into a live volcano than cut metal for a project with a Sawzall. I have one and lotsa lotsa blades. I hope they rust away before I reach for it again. It's an OK thing for wood butchers and demo I suppose.
    When I wear a respirator , I normally wear a Resp-O-Rator (brand) I have the 3M pancake too with the 2091 pinks.Wear it a little for galvanized......something else I avoid like scorpions in my shoes.
    I'm blessed to be basically outside every day of the year.

What are the winters like where you are Bonzoo cold or warm all year round?
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

What are the winters like where you are Bonzoo cold or warm all year round?
    64-68 at night and 74-78 in the day. Every day.
    An occasional front comes in and I've seen 57 in the night or an odd hot August day when it gets to 85 or so
    This is with 1000 % humidity.
    Even plastic rusts

I wear a respirator while welding and just leave it on when cutting or grinding.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    64-68 at night and 74-78 in the day. Every day.
    An occasional front comes in and I've seen 57 in the night or an odd hot August day when it gets to 85 or so
    This is with 1000 % humidity.
    Even plastic rusts
    So not very hot bug gets pretty muggy like when I lived in Spring just north of Houston TX.
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

Delurking again...

I use a regular circular saw and the Diablo blades. The dedicated steel saw would be much nicer since the guard completely covers the cut and contains almost all of the chips. I just suit up with a long sleeve shirt, welding cap, gloves, and full face shield. Don't push it too hard, and give the saw some cooling time for thicker cuts. I made a 48" cut on a 1/2" plate like this, where I learned the hard way about giving the saw some cooling time... Made 36" and it let the smoke out. (but I just need to get the armature turned smooth, to go with the new brushes)

This is where a Harbor Freight circular saw would be handy too, so you don't take a chance on your good woodworking saw...
    Mike "Dodis"

Century 135 MIG
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC (working on DC converter) (SCORE! got a H/F box off eBay for this one too) now gotta get busy!!!
    Harbor Freight 130 TIG
    Oxy/Propane Victor Torch

Quote Originally Posted by dodis View Post
    Delurking again...

I use a regular circular saw and the Diablo blades. The dedicated steel saw would be much nicer since the guard completely covers the cut and contains almost all of the chips. I just suit up with a long sleeve shirt, welding cap, gloves, and full face shield. Don't push it too hard, and give the saw some cooling time for thicker cuts. I made a 48" cut on a 1/2" plate like this, where I learned the hard way about giving the saw some cooling time... Made 36" and it let the smoke out. (but I just need to get the armature turned smooth, to go with the new brushes)

This is where a Harbor Freight circular saw would be handy too, so you don't take a chance on your good woodworking saw...
    When I use my saw to make longer cuts I use a straight edge and smear a light coat of cutting paste along the cut line.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBravest View Post
    I wear a 3m pink one whenever I grind. I rarely do much cutting other than breaking a weld here and there.

Breathing stuff in is NOT good for you. And it’s definitey the last thing I need.

I usually gauge the effectiveness of my respiratory protection by how much black garbage comes out of my nose in the shower afterwards.

Name:  9227E796-40FC-4359-B127-A30AB11D1C73.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  106.0 KB
    Name:  79A4B091-7D39-48C7-B9FC-8398FD2908C8.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  129.1 KB
    How are you liking the Grizzly?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Metabo slicers.It's the only thing I buy the last few years. A also use the bigger ones in 7 and 9 inch called Flexiamont. Need to order some ......
    Attachment 1685466
    Metabo slicers get my vote for longest lasting, fastest cutting wheels that I've found. DeWalt wheels are my second choice.
    My "collection":

Homemade Stick Welder
    Victor O/A Torch
    AC 225
    Ideal Arc 250

HF 90 Amp Flux Core
    HF Mig 170
    Solar 2020 Plasma Cutter
    Power i-Mig 140E
    Harris O/A torch
    HF Dual Mig 131
    140ST
    Alpha Tig 200x

I have had the best service from 3M Green Corps and Cubitron ceramic (2nd choice) wheels. Roughly $7.50 ea in small qty, but each outlasts 5 Norton Gemini/3M general purpose $2 wheels easily. I use maybe 2-300 per year on a 4" pneumatic right angle cutoff tool cutting about everything imaginable including titanium rebar(nasty tough). The 1/16th thick wheels have the best cut life to kerf ratio IMHO at that size.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain P View Post
    Metabo slicers get my vote for longest lasting, fastest cutting wheels that I've found. DeWalt wheels are my second choice.
    Quite a few recommendations for these slicers, I’ll pick some up on my next LWS trip. Been using 3/32” E6011 @ 150A after some practice it’s kind-of Ok. Lol requires some grinding but gets the job done.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Century FC90

Mmock4 150A is not too hot for that rod?
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

Quote Originally Posted by flushcut View Post
    How are you liking the Grizzly?
    It's a beast. I'm trying to think of a complaint I have with it and honestly I can't come up with one.

I use the smaller slack belt sander on the floor for deburring but the grizzly gets used to bevel tubing and flat stock all the time and with a fresh belt it absolutely eats metal.
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

Lincoln 210mp
    Lincoln SW200

Mmock4 150A is not too hot for that rod?
    It is more than double the welding amperage of that rod, lol. I have been using them to cut steel plate with.

Note:Only for practice steel, not anything project related.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Century FC90

Oh ok LOL...
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

I would buy my metal for the size coupons I wanted. Like 3/8" x 2" x 20ft and then cut off whatever length I desired.
    Doing it that way makes those coupons the cost of super expensive metal. Plus the time as well. Unless you would rather cut than weld.
    There is no good reason to waste a decent piece of plate by chopping it into little pieces....it's too hard to get to use for that IMO
    Miller Dynasty 700
    Miller 350P with Aluma-pro push-pull
    Miller 280 Dynasty with expansion card
    Dynasty 200 DX

Enuff power and hand tools to fix or create one of anything..... but mass produce nothing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    I would buy my metal for the size coupons I wanted. Like 3/8" x 2" x 20ft and then cut off whatever length I desired.
    Doing it that way makes those coupons the cost of super expensive metal. Plus the time as well. Unless you would rather cut than weld.
    There is no good reason to waste a decent piece of plate by chopping it into little pieces....it's too hard to get to use for that IMO
    I would agree, but this is scrap steel plate, and it was free. Most of it has some spots that have been welded on, the pieces are around 8x8” or so. I’d rather be doing more welding than cutting, but like I said it was free, I just need an efficient and low budget way to cut it. Maybe this is one of those cases where it’s pick one, can’t have both. In other news, I’m becoming more proficient with my angle grinder.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Century FC90

Sometimes it cost you just as much to buy new metal for coupons than it does to burn through cut off disks and blades to end up with not as nice coupons.
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

Sometimes it cost you just as much to buy new metal for coupons than it does to burn through cut off disks and blades to end up with not as nice coupons.
    Yeah I need to head over to the local metal outlet store. I actually priced some 1/4” flat stock at the big box stores, and they really upcharge you. Very pricey.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Century FC90

I get most of my hobby steel at a ornamental iron supply. They have most of the flats and angles I normally use and some tubing. Only downside to the decent prices is they close noon on Saturday and closed on Sunday. So if I need steel after those times and I did not plan it out then I get ripped by the big box stores for less material
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A