Difference in polarities
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Difference in polarities

Hi there I was just wondering what the difference in polarities means exactly. What applications are better suited for which polarity. And is it better to use one over the other when just doing general welding in the shop. I am curious for mig and arc welding.

Re: Difference in polarities

Quote Originally Posted by Lnoland View Post
    Hi there I was just wondering what the difference in polarities means exactly. What applications are better suited for which polarity. And is it better to use one over the other when just doing general welding in the shop. I am curious for mig and arc welding.
    http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...ty-detail.aspx

Re: Difference in polarities

In welding school I was taught heat ratios with DC polarity.
    DC+ (reverse polarity) puts 70% of the heat in the electrode and 30% of the heat into the work. Most stick welding is done with DC reverse polarity.
    DC- (straight polarity) puts 30% of the heat into the electrode and 70% of the heat into the work. This is why you always DC tig weld with straight polarity, you would melt your tungsten away tig welding with DC reverse polarity.
    AC switches back and forth between DC + and DC - 60 cycles (hertz) per second.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bluestar 2E
    Torchmate CNC table
    Ironworkers Local 720

Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding