Air Compressor Receiver Inspection
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Air Compressor Receiver Inspection

Has anyone used one of those new endoscope/boroscope sold for use with a smartphone to inspect the inside of a compressed air receiver? Any comments on how well that works, choice of brands and models?

Thanks!

Mondo
    Member, AWS
    Lincoln ProMIG 140
    Lincoln AC Tombstone
    Craftsman Lathe 12 x 24 c1935
    Atlas MFC Horizontal Mill
    Craftsman Commercial Lathe 12 x 36 c1970
    - - -
    I'll just keep on keepin' on.

Re: Air Compressor Receiver Inspection

You talking about shoving it in the side or up da pooper of an air tank to look for rust flakes ?
    They work like a champ. Buy a couple of them. They're junk. But they work like a champ.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    You talking about shoving it in the side or up da pooper of an air tank to look for rust flakes ?
    They work like a champ. Buy a couple of them. They're junk. But they work like a champ.
    Yeah, figured on pulling the plug on the end of the tank and stuffing the boroscope in there. So you are suggesting that the cheapos work, but are not durable?

Mondo
    Member, AWS
    Lincoln ProMIG 140
    Lincoln AC Tombstone
    Craftsman Lathe 12 x 24 c1935
    Atlas MFC Horizontal Mill
    Craftsman Commercial Lathe 12 x 36 c1970
    - - -
    I'll just keep on keepin' on.

This is my poor mans hydrostatic test I did.

I"m not sure what the borescopes cost, but this is probably a better tool for inspecting tank wall thickness.

It might be out of the price range you're looking at.

https://www.amazon.com/TM8812-Ultras.../dp/B00DKW4IYO

I did see an ultrasonic thickness gauge priced under $100 on amazon. Might just need to shop around. I think they can be rented too, if you don't want to buy.
    Benson's Mobile Welding at your worksite or place of business. Serving Dayton, Ohio and the surrounding metro areas.
    AWS Certified Welding Inspector (#XXX10731) and Certified Welding Educator (#XXX1008E)

I havnt seen any for smart phone's. If I understand, you need a scope to view the inside of your tank. I have one with a monitor that came from Harberfrate. I does what its supposed to do and as long as it fits thru the bung hole, it would work. Homiedepot sells a MILLWAUKEE type that has a slot for memory card.

Member Manokai had one for sale some time back. He may still have it. His used an eyepiece instead of monitor.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...ght=bore+scope
    _____Gauntlets_____

____Genesis 4:22___

I bought a cheap one. It works great and would likely be fine for you inspection.

I bought the cheap one also and it works great. Download the app, plug in your phone and start stuffing in places you can't otherwise see.

Look on Geek, they are 5$, can't go wrong.
    Last edited by Fast Leroy; 04-17-2018 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    Yeah, figured on pulling the plug on the end of the tank and stuffing the boroscope in there. So you are suggesting that the cheapos work, but are not durable?

Mondo
    YUP. Like everything else cheapo.

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    I havnt seen any for smart phone's. If I understand, you need a scope to view the inside of your tank. I have one with a monitor that came from Harberfrate. I does what its supposed to do and as long as it fits thru the bung hole, it would work. Homiedepot sells a MILLWAUKEE type that has a slot for memory card.

Member Manokai had one for sale some time back. He may still have it. His used an eyepiece instead of monitor.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...ght=bore+scope
    There are dozens in the usual Chineese suspects. I was tempted to buy one when I dropped a small plastic piece inside my VW rear diferential. Finallly I let the gears chew it up (small soft piece, no worries) and forget about it. The reviews are nice and you have several sizes. The bigger (diameter), the better optics is going to have. I do think they are worth for anyone doing mechanical work. I will definitely buy one sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikel_24 View Post
    There are dozens in the usual Chineese suspects. I was tempted to buy one when I dropped a small plastic piece inside my VW rear diferential. Finallly I let the gears chew it up (small soft piece, no worries) and forget about it. The reviews are nice and you have several sizes. The bigger (diameter), the better optics is going to have. I do think they are worth for anyone doing mechanical work. I will definitely buy one sooner or later.
    Do you have a pic of one or link to get one?
    _____Gauntlets_____

____Genesis 4:22___

Last week, I tried a horrible freight scope that my dad has. It had to be used in the dark to see the screen and the quality was absolute crap. I'm not sure if the plastic lens got damaged or if the quality is just that bad, but all it did was verify that the tank had rust on the bottom but it was impossible to tell how bad it was.

I couldn't get the plugs out of the side, so I cut them off with a grinder. When I stuck a steel rod inside and dug up the rust like it was mulch in the garden, I knew it wasn't good. The tank is a WABCO 1947 with 0.249" heads and walls, but it just doesn't seem safe to chance it. After rebuilding the pump, it works great with a small temporary tank (also questionable and a cheap 20 gallon from a sears compressor).

The milwaukee camera was tempting, but I can't justify $200 for one. My dad asked me about the scopes to use with a cell phone and I told him I hadn't researched them. It is nice to know that some of them are worth the price and are suitable for occasional use.
    Miller 330abp
    Miller 211 inverter, M150 spool gun
    Miller 135
    Miller 375 Extreme plasma
    CNC plasma table (build in progress)
    Femi 120abs portable band saw
    Many other tools
    Too little garage space
    Not enough money