Lincoln SW200 and PT 225 questions
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Lincoln SW200 and PT 225 questions

TIG shopping for my 1st TIG.
    Home based shop where my son and I work on building his Jeep and Ods and Ends fabricating, all hobby, no commercial.
    There are many times I cuss the mig process (I have 2 MIG machines), You HAVE to be adding filler (wire) to maintain an arc. Then turn around and grind all that added filler off.
    There are many instances I need/want the TIG process.

Most of my work will be from 20 gauge to 16 gauge sheet steel, 1/8" Mild steel tube, Some 3/16 brackets,
    But want to leave the possibility of Alum if needed, the Alum would be UNDER 1/4" thickness.

The Shop has it's own 200 amp panel, with the utilities transformer not 25' away, so good power is not a problem.

Anyhow, I was looking at the SW200 and PT225,, I am "old fashioned" and am "irrationally" drawn towards a transformer machine for some odd reason.
    I read many reviews talking about how the inverter machines are light years ahead of the older tech transformer machines and have a greater ease of use.
    I have also heard that transformer tech is dying off, and in an other 5 years all new rigs will be inverter.
    I will be an "Occasional" TIG welder,, so my skills will be marginal at best.

The one thing I do not understand is: If the SW200 is such a capable TIG, and the PT225 is an older "hold over tech" rig,, why is the PT 225 (2950) twice the price of the SW 200 (1500.00)

Thanks for any insight,
    Slack

Re: Lincoln SW200 and PT 225 questions

Quote Originally Posted by Slackdaddy View Post

The one thing I do not understand is: If the SW200 is such a capable TIG, and the PT225 is an older "hold over tech" rig,, why is the PT 225 (2950) twice the price of the SW 200 (1500.00)

Thanks for any insight,
    Slack
    "Older tech" doesn't mean it doesn't work well. I've used a Precision TIG 225 (not much, but did use one), and it welded very nice. However, the SW200 does have more features, weights far less, uses far less power, can be used on 120V power if needed, and is much cheaper. I've always questioned the specs of the PT225 on Lincoln's site, as they list a 40% duty cycle at only 130A. Since it can do 230A max, that must have a poor duty cycle at max output. So while the SW200 has a bit less max output, it has a better duty cycle, listing 40% at 160A.

As to why it's cheaper: Why was the 50" TV in my living room $800, but the 32" I bought 10 years ago (that had far worse picture and less features) cost $1100? That's the way of electronics, and the SW200 is mostly a box of electronics. The PT225 has about five times the steel and five times the copper in it.

The SW200 is a great machine. But fair warning it will take you some time before you are competent enough to produce the weld quality you seem to be looking for. Joint prep such as beveling can help you greatly with MIG in reducing time with a grinder as well.

You will also find it can often take longer to clean prep and tig a joint than it does to weld and grind with MIG.

As far as the price thing, the pt225 is almost 200 lbs compared to the 50ish of the SW200. It costs more for Lincoln to produce and it also outputs more amperage than the SW200. The PT225 also more than likely has a few more adjustable features than the bare bones SW200.
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

Lincoln 210mp
    Lincoln SW200

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBravest View Post
    the pt225 is almost 200 lbs compared to the 50ish of the SW200.
    I mentioned this in another thread recently, as my LWS continues to prod me into thinking about the SW200. I have lusted for a Dynasty for a while, and they know that, and sell Miller also...but they seem to like the SW200. I am not sure exactly why, cause they speak highly of the Dynastys...they are twice the price.

More so for this thread I wanted to point out that Lincoln must have something up their sleeve for a replacement for the Invertec V205-T which they don't make anymore.

Seems a bit confusing. 5-6 years ago Lincoln Electric posted:

Clearly having a portable ac/dc tig machine is an important tool for many people, not just Wyatt. You have to ask yourself, why would Lincoln discontinue the V205-T and bring in a machine which seems to be aimed more at the hobbyist, then discontinue the V205-T? Not that corporations make rational decisions in all cases, but Lincoln has been a leader in the welding industry for many years.

I would expect Lincoln to come out with something in the 250-300 amp range that is still portable and able to meet the needs of the professional level tool.

OTOH, could the SW200 replace the V205-T? I don't think so as it's lacking on pulse, and the level of quality is not nearly the same, but it's not bad, IMO, even if assembled in Mexico.

That said, I am kind of considering an SW200 as an upgrade to what I have, but not sure it's on my short list yet, only because of the pulse (up to only 20pps). My gut tells me to be patient on Lincoln and see what they have up their sleeve. I wonder if Lincoln will incorporate pulse stick or other newer technology we see coming to market??? Whatever, they need a slightly higher quality 50 lb. machine that is around 250-300 amps, IMO. I'm pretty sure a company like Lincoln knows the welding industry pretty well, but that's just a guess...

I to bought a 32" console tube TV ~15 years ago for around 1000.00
    last year I bought a 60" flat panel for >500.00
    BUT I would not go out and by a tube TV TODAY for 1000.00

My point is, What am I missing that anyone would go out and pay twice the price for an older tech welder, that while it has an extra 25 amps, that is lost with the dismal duty rating? What am I missing when comparing these 2 machines?

Slack

Quote Originally Posted by BigTB View Post
    "
    As to why it's cheaper: Why was the 50" TV in my living room $800, but the 32" I bought 10 years ago (that had far worse picture and less features) cost $1100? That's the way of electronics, and the SW200 is mostly a box of electronics. The PT225 has about five times the steel and five times the copper in it.

My point is, What am I missing that anyone would go out and pay twice the price for an older tech welder, that while it has an extra 25 amps, that is lost with the dismal duty rating? What am I missing when comparing these 2 machines?
    Slack,

Not to muddy the water, but we can use that logic and the cheap imported inverters will win on cost vs. functionality. But there is more to it than that...IMO, otherwise we end up in a race to the bottom...trying to figure out who produces the cheapest products that will perform the same (even if TEMPORARILY). Is this always true though?

The PT225 is an entirely different machine. built a different way. Still, doesn't look like a bad machine and I'm sure has a purpose...probably not for me, unless one fell off a turnip truck, and in that case I'll be there to catch it.

I am deff not looking for a cheap or "import" (even though the SW200 "is" an import), I am looking for a machine that my LWS supports.
    I have somewhat focused my search to the PT 225, SW 200 or perhaps a used Syncro 200

I understand that the SW200 and the PT225 are vastly different machines, but there end goal is to perform the SAME function (with in a few Amps), except portability and the SW200 wins that hands down.

So what does the PT 225 have that would make someone pay twice as much for it over a SW200 ?

I have both machines and they both work great, they are simple machines without a dozen adjustments my skill level will never need....the pt225 is great if you dont have to move around, it comes with storage cabinet and wheels, im sure that adds to the cost compared to the sw200..but technology costs $$$$ so a smaller lighter machine can cost more than big and heavy and the weight difference is what your paying for...in the end you would have to compare durability and quality of weld..

Get an HTP221 and never look back. Small inverter like the the SW200 about the price of PT225 but with way more features.
    Eventual master of the obvious, practitioner of "stream of consciousness fabrication". P.S. I edit almost every post because because I'm posting from my phone and my fingers sometimes move faster than my brain.

I am deff not looking for a cheap or "import" (even though the SW200 "is" an import), I am looking for a machine that my LWS supports.
    Same with me, I *prefer* it if possible, but there are exceptions. The main thing that started to steer me towards the SW200 is my LWS...so...

So what does the PT 225 have that would make someone pay twice as much for it over a SW200 ?
    Not owning either, I don't have first hand experience with them, but maybe Hobbytime can chime in.

The PT225 seems like it's designed as a larger power unit, where they offer axillary power for a water cooler, as an example. Lincoln also offers more power options, mainly above 240v and there's a lot of production shops that operate on 380v-460v, so that might be a better option. Possibly they offer 3 phase as well, but that I'm not sure of.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedanman View Post
    Get an HTP221 and never look back. Small inverter like the the SW200 about the price of PT225 but with way more features.
    Speaking for myself, the HTP 221 is actually an inverter than is on my short list, although there is no local support, I've seen some great videos on YT and glowing reviews on them that I don't have a problem with putting them on my short list.

I have somewhat focused my search to the PT 225, SW 200 or perhaps a used Syncro 200

I understand that the SW200 and the PT225 are vastly different machines, but there end goal is to perform the SAME function (with in a few Amps), except portability and the SW200 wins that hands down.

The reason the PT225 is twice the price is it is made in USA. The SW200 is parts sourced from all over the globe but mostly in China, then assembled in Mexico, then Lincoln gained NAFTA import tax credits by plopping the units on a train, and rolling them across the boarder for sale. Lincoln is just playing by the rules.

If you are new to tig, there is no easier tig to learn from than the SW200. It has all fixed and synergic settings for plug and play turnkey welding. I also consumes half the power for instant savings. Oh and in a pinch Harbor Freight carries a replacement torch and connector, ground clamp and connector, gas regulator and hose, tungsten, collets, cups, and the same power leads. Everything but the foot pedal, of which is required but soured from SSC controls.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    Miller Dynasty700DX, Dynasty350DX 2ea., Dynasty200DX, ThermalArc 400 GTSW, LincolnSW200 2ea., MillerMatic350P, MillerMatic200 with spoolgun, MKCobraMig260, Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm 1250

Quote Originally Posted by TraditionalToolworks View Post
    Same with me, I *prefer* it if possible, but there are exceptions. The main thing that started to steer me towards the SW200 is my LWS...so...

Not owning either, I don't have first hand experience with them, but maybe Hobbytime can chime in.

The PT225 seems like it's designed as a larger power unit, where they offer axillary power for a water cooler, as an example. Lincoln also offers more power options, mainly above 240v and there's a lot of production shops that operate on 380v-460v, so that might be a better option. Possibly they offer 3 phase as well, but that I'm not sure of.

Speaking for myself, the HTP 221 is actually an inverter than is on my short list, although there is no local support, I've seen some great videos on YT and glowing reviews on them that I don't have a problem with putting them on my short list.
    The HTP 221 is an excellent unit. Very comparable to the Miller Dynasty but cheaper. Warranty problems are far and few between.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    Miller Dynasty700DX, Dynasty350DX 2ea., Dynasty200DX, ThermalArc 400 GTSW, LincolnSW200 2ea., MillerMatic350P, MillerMatic200 with spoolgun, MKCobraMig260, Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm 1250