Howdy, attempt 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Howdy, attempt 2

Hey everyone, this is my 2nd attempt. I had an acct but it somehow disappeared. Anyway, new welder from Kingwood, Texas. When I decided I wanted to learn to weld I never knew just how much I would learn about everything else that goes with metalworking. In fact, I would say that all the material selection, prep, fitting, cutting, and remeasuring has been just as much a learning
    curve as the welding. The more I learn the more projects I think of to do just to use what I learned.

I started by wanting to learn to weld. Maybe make a few things or fix a few things, but in three months my project list is a page long! This weekend I am clearing out the back 10 feet of my garage to turn it into a shop. I really enjoy the creative side of metalworking, and I like making things just to see if I can. I am learning that measure twice cut once goes for metalworking just as much as woodworking.

Re: Howdy, attempt 2

Welcome!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

What have you been making?
    Gina M. Tabasso
    HGR Industrial Surplus
    gtabasso@hgrinc.com
    www.hgrinc.com

Quote Originally Posted by gmt View Post
    What have you been making?
    First thing I made was a work table with my 11yr old. I hadn’t even gotten a bottle of gas yet and just wanted to make an attempt, so we cut down a bed frame that was in the attic and welded it into a table frame with fluxcore wire. Got some scrap 3/16” plate and made a top.

I wasn’t really sure what to do from there since we’d just jumped into it without any consistent or focused practice. I did make my brother a middle finger sculpture for his 40th birthday LOL.

In the meantime I got a nice big bottle of 75/25 and changed from fluxcore to gas mig on my Miller 211. I like that way better. Still running on just 110V and have been impressed with what the machine will do. I practiced with it some and jumped into my next project, a granite top coffee table for my wife. Made a lot of mistakes on that project but I was able to cover em up, and the table came out great.

I saw a video of the HF compact bender on YT and got one of those so I could do more than just right angles. Will make my wife some scrolls for hanging plants and other stuff for here rose garden. Also will be able to make brackets and things for around the shop.

I am currently building a welding cart that will hold a bottle of 75/25 and a bottle of pure argon for aluminum work, which I’ve not played with yet. After that, my two next projects are to build a proper welding table with a 1/2” plate top and then cut the top off my existing small table and convert it to a cutting table. Oxy acetylene torch is the next toy, and I will start playing with sheet metal and using the torch with my son on his blacksmithing projects.

After all that, we intend to build:
    Forge and vise frame/bench for blacksmithing
    Front rack/basket for the ATV
    Motorcycle seat rolling stools
    End table for my wife
    ATV trailer
    Material rack
    Foundry and anvil stands for blacksmithing

The ideas just keep coming faster than we can buy steel!

The color of the granite top, fabrics and black paint look excellent together - nicely done
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    The color of the granite top, fabrics and black paint look excellent together - nicely done
    Thanks but it is actually a rust patina. It didn’t show up well in that pic but I attached a different color be below that shows the finish better. I used a vinegar and salt solution and a spray bottle. Let it sit in the sun for 2hrs then neutralized it with baking soda and water. Wiped it down and sealed it with clear lacquer.