Spreader bars
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Spreader bars

Spreader bars

I just bought two 660 lb. lifting magnets to load steel onto my CNC Plasma table. Now all I needed was a spreader bar to use them. I checked the local Craigslist and similar sites to no avail. So I had some sch. 40- 1-1/4 pipe and some 3/8" plate laying around, a few minutes in the computer and this is what I am building. I know it is overkill for a 1/2 ton hoist but better too strong then too weak!

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Re: Spreader bars

Looks good, when it comes to spreader bars overkill is good. are you going to pin the pipe to the endcaps?
    I came real close to leaving this world when a jerryrigged spreader bar came loose. the pipe passed about an inch in front of my face and the chain rang my bell. I had a row of gooseeggs up the back of my head were every link of chain had connected. Your set up looks safe though.
    Last edited by idacal; 04-16-2018 at 03:37 PM.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by idacal View Post
    Looks good, when it comes to spreader bars overkill is good. are you going to pin the pipe to the endcaps?
    No I am welding them. If it ever warms up here I will paint them.

If you want to shorten up the lift. Remove chains and shackle from hook and weld eye on center of your pipe.
    Will give more headroom.

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    If you want to shorten up the lift. Remove chains and shackle from hook and weld eye on center of your pipe.
    Will give more headroom.
    I have 9 ft. of headroom and only have to lift less then 3 ft. to clear the CNC table. The hoist does not have hook it had been replaced at some point with a eyebolt, hence the shackle. I also do not trust the pipe with a center lift point, seen pipe bend before.

I think your hook shackle is upside down. The way your have it the two small shackles are being side loaded. It looks like you are good to go anyway unless you are lifting one inch plate:'))

Quote Originally Posted by lotechman View Post
    I think your hook shackle is upside down. The way your have it the two small shackles are being side loaded. It looks like you are good to go anyway unless you are lifting one inch plate:'))
    The shackle arrangement is just temporary until I can find or make a ring. It is almost impossible to find anything where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by gxbxc View Post
    Great link and ideas. Thanks for sharing.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

When I saw the title "Spreader Bar".......................................

Name:  ss-326029-2.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  10.3 KB

Name:  mutley.gif
Views: 483
Size:  9.3 KB

Get your mind out of the gutter Samm! LOL
    Pete

ESAB SVI300
    ESAB MIG 4 HD
    MILLER PASSPORT 180
    MILLER DYNASTY 300DX
    MILLER COOLMATE 4
    MILLER 30A
    MILLER SPECTRUM 2050
    C&K WF-3

I was thinking about the ones between the front frame rails on a deuce roadster....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A

Les

Quote Originally Posted by lotechman View Post
    At 41 lbs/square foot one inch plate "really" isn't that heavy.I jerk around 4 x 8 sheets of 1/2 with a crappy Torin 2 ton hoist and my old self. You're good. Get to work

Well l eliminated setup I had with the three shackles connected together. After searching in my scrap piles for several days I found enough 3/8 steel and cut this out on my CNC table. I have stayed with the 3/8 shackles so I can upgrade the capacity in the future if needed. Hangs nice and straight . I am using the same top piece for both my 2 foot and 4 foot spreader bars, trying to minimise duplications.