Welding cart and gas bottle question
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Welding cart and gas bottle question

Putting the 300 cf bottom on my welding cart seems very flimsy. Not because the cart is flimsy. I jumped up and down on it no problem. But I am just concern it tips over due to narrow width. I have a couple questions.

Should I still put it on the cart and just be careful with it? Maybe lock it down when not moved? After all, when moving on the dolly, it's not that much safer? I start to feel like I answer my own question here. But I am sure the experienced welders here will have better insights.

I keep the cart and cylinder inside the house, and move them outside to weld. So, unhook and hook just too cumbersome for me, and I think one time, I may have allow a leak when I hooked it up. So may as well hook it up, test it with soap and be done with it.

Another concern is gas leak. It's in the house, but very isolated in a separate room, like a garage. Would that be a concern of gas leak and causing choke (argon gas)? I saw many people have bottles in their garage, so I suppose this is not an issue.

Thanks all.

Re: Welding cart and gas bottle question

You might consider adding stabilizers that swing out with screw down feet for extra side to side support.

Post pic of cart. How wide is cart ? Wheels beyond cart frame will increase stability along with diameter of wheels.

Look through the cart thread to see if yours is similar.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...ead-Post-Em-Up!!

Thanks for the cart thread. I didn't know it exists. My cart is identical to the one in the picture, not the welder.

Width is 13.5" (yes, it's narrow). Length is 34". I can extend the wheel, but I really like the narrow width saving spaces. So when I "park" it, I will just find a way to anchor down the bottle.

The idea of having swing out wheel is kind of nice, but lots of work/thinking to get it right, else, it can be a tangle mess and cause more problem. That's why I ask here for experience, versus being the guinea pig myself.

I also thought about putting some heavy weight, but the bottle is really heavy, so maybe 80 to 100 lbs would do.
    Just not nice to drag around so much weight. The welder is light, an inverter, so that makes it worse in this sense, but good for mobility.

Name:  Snap-on-YA219A-Mig-Welder-120-Volt.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  46.1 KB
    Last edited by vdwelding; 04-16-2018 at 06:28 PM.

Usually there is a chain on the cart somewhere but that chain should really be at least 1/3 of the height of the bottle, I would prefer half with a 330. Your cart may not be designed for a 330cu cylinder.
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

Lincoln 210mp
    Lincoln SW200

Maybe consider replacing the wheels to a wider tread. Pneumatic tires? Duals??

The bottom of the cart where the bottle sit is flat, so I will make something to keep the bottle's bottom from moving around.
    The top, I see two holes for the chain. I can definitely use a strap on that versus chain to make it rigid.

The idea of extending the wheel sounds good. I will need to look up to see how wide I can make it for this bottle size.
    I may also weld a handle to the cart.

But, maybe, I will just make a cart from something else a bit bigger. My only issue is that making it big will take room. Can't have everything. Wish I got a big garage and don't need to move around.

A wider stance on wheels will increase safety which surpasses taking up more room. I would rather have it require a larger space for storage than pull a tank over.