Tank Pressure Test Expiration Date Question
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Tank Pressure Test Expiration Date Question

Hi, haven't been around here in a while, but I have a question about the expiration date on my argon tank. It's stamped "04 08 * +". I understand that the star means that test is good for 10 years, but when, exactly, does it expire? On April 1st, 2018? Or May 1st, 2018?

This happens to matter to me right now, because I just emptied said tank, and need to get it re-filled. I searched but couldn't find an answer with the necessary precision.

Thanks.
    __
    David Hillman

Re: Tank Pressure Test Expiration Date Question

Hmmm, my supplier informed me that they don't charge for recerting, I was asking because I was GIVEN a C25 bottle and the guy said "bring it in we don't charge for testing".
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    Hmmm, my supplier informed me that they don't charge for recerting, I was asking because I was GIVEN a C25 bottle and the guy said "bring it in we don't charge for testing".
    Is that for bottle exchange or for recertification and refil?
    '65 Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC/DC
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

Bottle exchange seems to vary by area. Some say owner bottles are only up to a certain size, but here anyway, I can have 250 and 330 cu ft bottles exchanged.
    When you exchange your bottle, they give you a full one, they dont refill the one you bring in just for you. Part of the cost of that bottle refill is all the stuff on their end, recertifying, hazmat, etc. So,since you are paying part of that service on every refill, the date stamp shouldnt be your problem.

I have owner bottles I get refilled. Some times it takes a week but yes I keep the good bottles that are my property. Some exchanges you have to be careful of the valves being bad.
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

So, to answer my own question, in case someone searches and comes across this thread. The answer is, "It depends on who you ask."

I called my LWS this morning, described the situation, and was told that my cylinder was good 'til the end of this month, and I could bring it in for a re-fill. So I did. Once I got there, and talked to a different guy, he said their policy is that the test expires at the beginning of the marked month.

Luckily, they had an exchange available ( phone guy had told me otherwise ) and I was able to swap it for a much newer cylinder for just the cost of the testing, $25. Takes them 4-6 weeks to send a cylinder out for certification, apparently, and that was a situation I was hoping to avoid.
    __
    David Hillman

I would have just played dumb and swapped the bottle. They're never going to give you an expired bottle, presumably, and I'm sure the big suppliers have a regular setup where they have all their expired bottles recertified, and they just average the cost and add the average cost of recertification to the bill you get for the refill.

In other words, they pay for all the recertifications, and you always end up with a bottle that's certified.

When you pay $25 and wait a month to get "your" bottle recertified, I'm sure they don't reduce the price of refills to subtract that "average per annum bottle certification" cost.

Bottom line: You probably spent $25 that you didn't need to. But you were honest, I guess...nothing wrong with that.

I’d rather not play dumb with my lws they tend to remember things and what goes around eventually comes around. I don’t want them playing dumb or charging more because I am considered a pain in the a$$ customer.
    L-tec PCM-VPi 40A plasma
    ESAB REBEL EMP 215ic
    ESAB Mig Master 250
    Victor Performer O/A

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    I would have just played dumb and swapped the bottle. They're never going to give you an expired bottle, presumably, and I'm sure the big suppliers have a regular setup where they have all their expired bottles recertified, and they just average the cost and add the average cost of recertification to the bill you get for the refill.

In other words, they pay for all the recertifications, and you always end up with a bottle that's certified.

When you pay $25 and wait a month to get "your" bottle recertified, I'm sure they don't reduce the price of refills to subtract that "average per annum bottle certification" cost.

Bottom line: You probably spent $25 that you didn't need to. But you were honest, I guess...nothing wrong with that.
    I have enough owner cylinders that my LWS doesn't bother to look at stamps, they just exchange and I'm outta there. I did ask the manager once about some cylinders I bought from a guy... He said "So what, put 'em on the dock and get fresh ones".

I had a 125 c25 refilled that had a date like yours on it. They filled it and sent me on my way.
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"

They told me they don't charge for a recert, so I just pay for the gas in an exchange cylinder.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    RONALD REAGAN

When exchanging the guys here let them pass. Nobody here is delusional and acting like they own the damn place. They roll one in and roll one out. Pizz on it.
    Warranty stuff it the same. Hand it to them and take another. They could care less.
    UNLIKE somewhere else I remember where everyone wanted to be a "company man". Usually the first clowns to be furloughed in bad times.. Various Depot type sewers come to mind .........

We referred to those"company men" as sucka$$es!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    RONALD REAGAN