Help! Everlast PowerTig 185, TIG HF start fluttering
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Help! Everlast PowerTig 185, TIG HF start fluttering

Hey guys finally got things all setup to practice tig, and I’m having a major problem.

Problem: Arc will not initiate, it appears that it’s pulsing between HF, and starting an arc. Several times per second, making a machine gun like sound. Observed as a fluttering arc, under the hood, very fast pulsing.

Everlast PowerTig 185DV
    Parameters as follows:
    3/32 thoriated tungsten -ground correctly
    100A DC: Torch on negative.(Tried increasing amperage throughout)
    100% Argon @ 20CFH
    #5 Cup
    A36 mild steel- ground clean
    Good work clamp connection(directly on the clean workpiece)
    Filler: None

Did get an arc two times, and was able to run the puddle a few inches. Did not notice anything different machine or parameter wise.

Maybe a HF point gap problem?
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Century FC90

Re: Help! Everlast PowerTig 185, TIG HF start fluttering

If you set it to lift arc does itweld ok? If it works with lift start then most likely it is a high frequency point gap adjustment issue.
    My "collection":

Homemade Stick Welder
    Victor O/A Torch
    AC 225
    Ideal Arc 250

HF 90 Amp Flux Core
    HF Mig 170
    Solar 2020 Plasma Cutter
    Power i-Mig 140E
    Harris O/A torch
    HF Dual Mig 131
    140ST
    Alpha Tig 200x

Quote Originally Posted by Mmock4 View Post
    100% Argon @ 20CFH
    #5 Cup
    That might be a bit high, I usually use 20cfh with a #8, but that shouldn't make any difference with HF arc.

Did get an arc two times, and was able to run the puddle a few inches. Did not notice anything different machine or parameter wise.
    Make sure you're grounded good. To your piece if possible.

Maybe a HF point gap problem?
    At the risk of stating the obvious, yes, it is possible, your manual states: HF Point Gap .030”-.045” (.035” suggested)

You can use a mig wire as a thickness gauge/feeler. I don't know if there is or isn't room for you to get a feeler in there.

Cheers,
    Alan

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter

When you say pulsing, I suspect a helmet malfunction imitating an arc flutter and causing an involuntary reaction (seen it many, many times with customers). 20cfh is high, try 12 to 15. But as suggested try lift start. Or better yet, just call tech support. That should be your first line of action. 877 755 9353 ext 207.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Ok to address some suggestions:

Tried 12-15CFH- no change
    Went and got a feeler gauge opened up and set to .035 -no change

As mentioned in my original post the work clamp is clamped directly to the workpiece and the workpiece is
    ground to clean shiny metal

When attempting lift start, tungsten just sticks to the workpiece no matter how light I try to touch it.

Interesting quirk: HF will start one arc, if I turn the machine off and back on again.

The fluttering isn’t my hood, it is the arc starting very briefly. The HF doesn’t shut off, so it’s just pulsing away as long as the finger switch is pressed.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Century FC90

Are you rocking the cup down, or are you stabbing it down? If the arc starts, the HF shuts off. Maybe post a shot video of this phenomenon. Also check the display and see what is registering while trying to start the arc.

If the HF remains engaged for more than 3 seconds, the unit will throw an error code and stop putting out completely. (assuming it is a new unit made in the last couple years).
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    Are you rocking the cup down, or are you stabbing it down? If the arc starts, the HF shuts off. Maybe post a shot video of this phenomenon. Also check the display and see what is registering while trying to start the arc.

If the HF remains engaged for more than 3 seconds, the unit will throw an error code and stop putting out completely. (assuming it is a new unit made in the last couple years).
    I’ve tried rocking the cup, tried scratching, and flicking, everway I could think of to make brief contact with the plate and drawing an arc. I Cant get a lift start.

When I turn the machine off, and back on. The HF starts as it should. I press the finger switch hear the HF zapping *poof* the arc starts, and the HF turns off. I can then run the puddle for about 4-5inches, and then the arc starts getting sputters at the end. It will only run one bead, and will not start another until the machine is turned off, and back on again.

This is an older model of the powertig185, I can shoot the workpiece with HF for longer than 3 seconds, it does not automatically turn off.

The amperage display will shoot up to 400+ when attempting to HF start, once I release the finger switch, it will go back to the set amperage.

What time does Support customer support open? I didnt see hours posted on the website just now.
    Last edited by Mmock4; 04-24-2018 at 10:02 AM.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Century FC90

9 to 5 eastern
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Got the repair quote back from Everlast. $450 plus shipping both ways. More than what I bought the machine only(no accessories or leads) for. So if I go ahead and get the repair done I’ll be into this machine for over $900.. what a new PowerTig 185 costs, and it would have a bunch more features than my 2013-14 model has. Not really justifiable.

Called and asked if the repair tech might have a reasonable clue as to what’s wrong. Said he doesn’t really know, possibly something to do with the soft start relays, and mentioned that they’re not really serviceable by the customer.

Does anyone have an idea where/how I could start in trying to diagnose the problem? I’d like to fix the problem and get back to welding, if I can’t fix it I’ll probably have to sell it for a loss, and patiently save for another welder sometime in the distant future. As it stands I paid $435(again excluding leads, torch, argon bottle, accessories) for a 150A AC/DC stick welder that won’t run 6010, and runs 6011 poorly.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Century FC90

You didn't buy it from us if you paid that. Nor do we sell without accessories. Nor would it have had a warranty with it. That's a lot to pay for a unit used, older model without accessories if no warranty. I hate to hear that, but depending upon the year, the units do have varying amounts of user repairability. The new units are much more user serviceable due to the modular design.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    You didn't buy it from us if you paid that. Nor do we sell without accessories. Nor would it have had a warranty with it. That's a lot to pay for a unit used.
    Yeah, I understand all that. I bought it at the time because it was the most machine that could be had for my money. Unfortunately it came back to bite me in the butt. I’m not complaining, it was my choice. I was just stating that dumping another $500 into this machine doesn’t seem justifiable for the welder it is. So I’m looking for a way to recoup my investment.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where else I should check to get it repaired? Who might be familiar enough with this type of electronics to diagnose the problem? The only welder specific shops around me are gas dealers, and they exclusively sell Miller.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Century FC90

Repair is more than half the cost of a new one?
    Fabricator 252i
    FP120
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor torches