Farm fresh shorthood build - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Farm fresh shorthood build

Not a good day. UPS is charging me out the as for brokerage on my package, and my other package is stuck in customs with usps. Hopefully the brokerage on the usps package isnt so bad, but i swear to god if my package in customs isnt here by the weekend!!!
    1974 Lincoln SA200 Copper converted - Sold
    195? SA200 Short Hood - Project
    Purox 50B3 - 4202 tip - Harris Regulators

Good news, kind of.. Got my package through ups in my hands today, which includes my new manifold and resonator muffler, main brushes, rad hoses, taylor pro plug wires, exciter brush holder insulators, air filter, low mount starter (Which is extremely smaller than i thought) and my faceplate.

Everything is installed already except for brushes and faceplate, which i will probably do tomorrow night then have nothing to do all weekend other than wire up what i can haha

Really wish my other package was here, wouldve been able to have it running welding and stackin iron this weekend, but sadly ill have to wait (until god knows when) for it to clear customs.

Im quite excited to hear it with the resonator muffler on, i havent been able to find a video of an sa200 with one on

In the homeward stretch! Have had lots of troubles with the governor and carb. But its getting better now!

First the governor was not functioning correctly, it would try to go WOT all the time and shutter back and forth, so i looked into it and the main bearing was destroyed, absolutely nothing left of it other than the inner and outer race.

Got a new R8 bearing (HOOF GD267-C5616 Governor) and its working perfectly! drilled and tapped 2 holes to 10-24 machine screws and loctite'd them for holding down the bearing.

So i timed it to #4 cylinder by turning the mag clockwise by hand until it sparks #4 and turning it counterclockwise 1/4 turn to horizontal and set the timing marks on the governor to the cam gear. It was running decent, threw my timing light on it, and it wasnt even on the degree dial. it was far too advanced. so i retarded the mag as much as possible and it still was just barely on the dial, i could just see the markings on the bottom end of the fire. So i took the governor off and jumped it back a tooth, so the punched timing marks dont sit factory like they should. it now sits just back one tooth. So i fired it up, and i had the mag off a bit so it was advanced quite a bit, but i retarded it and now its running great on dead centre. id still like to advance it a couple degrees but its better, i need to make new gaskets for the gov and mag to start with.

But heres a finished picture!

Tested it once i got it running better with 1/8 6010 downhill and 7/32 7018 and damn does it ever run smooth! The 7/32 was cutting out a little when i first started (Hadnt run too much rod to get the brushes perfect yet) but after i worked it a bit it and got those brushed warmed up it ran smooth! never cut out once after that

Beautiful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by charlie53843 View Post
    Beautiful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks! a lot of pita work to this old girl but im glad i resurrected another that was destined for the junkyard!

All the timing marks should line up for your engine to function correctly.
    Either the gear timing marks are off or your magneto has wrong impluse coupler.
    Went through this on my shorthood, it had wrong impluse coupler on magneto. Once the correct magneto was installed everything lined up and she fired right up. Who ever had this machine before me ran this way and the head cracked from running hot.
    Took me a long time to figure out the magneto was the problem. Finally what I did was remove the spark plugs and turn engine by hand and see where it fired in relation to T mark on flywheel. This was after gear timing marks were checked and rechecked .

Check this post on how to check cam gear and crank gear timing marks.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...00+gear+timing
    Last edited by guajilloweld03; 06-13-2018 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by guajilloweld03 View Post
    All the timing marks should line up for your engine to function correctly.
    Either the gear timing marks are off or your magneto has wrong impluse coupler.
    Went through this on my shorthood, it had wrong impluse coupler on magneto. Once the correct magneto was installed everything lined up and she fired right up. Who ever had this machine before me ran this way and the head cracked from running hot.
    Took me a long time to figure out the magneto was the problem. Finally what I did was remove the spark plugs and turn engine by hand and see where it fired in relation to T mark on flywheel. This was after gear timing marks were checked and rechecked .

Check this post on how to check cam gear and crank gear timing marks.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...00+gear+timing
    Thanks for that link, good read. But this engine has never had the front cover off. Neither the governor either. And everything adds up to bills write up on sparking number 4 which in turn makes the coupler vertical and putting it back horizontal to line up with the marks.

Either way, it runs good, doesn't get hot, and it's timed to DC. I might look into it more once I pull them off for the new gaskets but I'm going to note which way it is currently so I have the "Kind of" right way to put it back together if everything else fails

This thing is driving me nuts! Its spitting and sputtering and i cant get it to stop, checked and cleaned the points, theyre set to .015 so within spec, cap and rotor are clean, its timed to 3 degrees advanced, doesnt get better whether i advance it more or set it to DC or retard it a little. Plugs are gapped to .020.

Also the alternator isnt charging and i cant figure out why, brand new al531 from bosch, "one wire" with the exciting wire from the oil pressure sensor. has 12v to excite it but it wont.

And now the bolt from the alternator bracket is seeping coolant.

Damn why do continentals hate me! I want my 74 with no problems back hahaha

Also seems to cut out the arc with 6010, but doesnt with 7018. theres no reason as to why it should, theres no breaks in the armature or commutator, unless one spontaneously showed up since i checked it.
    Last edited by 24vwelder; 06-16-2018 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 24vwelder View Post
    This thing is driving me nuts! Its spitting and sputtering and i cant get it to stop, checked and cleaned the points, theyre set to .015 so within spec, cap and rotor are clean, its timed to 3 degrees advanced, doesnt get better whether i advance it more or set it to DC or retard it a little. Plugs are gapped to .020.

Also the alternator isnt charging and i cant figure out why, brand new al531 from bosch, "one wire" with the exciting wire from the oil pressure sensor. has 12v to excite it but it wont.

And now the bolt from the alternator bracket is seeping coolant.

Damn why do continentals hate me! I want my 74 with no problems back hahaha

Also seems to cut out the arc with 6010, but doesnt with 7018. theres no reason as to why it should, theres no breaks in the armature or commutator, unless one spontaneously showed up since i checked it.
    Check out this link and scroll to manual IM-127-A, to page A112, spark plug gap-0.025" and point gap 0.020" Need non resistor spark plugs (Champion D-16 or Denso L14-U ) and metal core sparkplug wires (Napa# 700172) when using a magneto . You also have governor gear off a tooth.

http://www.billswelderrepair.com/ALL..._manualsfiles/

Link is not working search manual IM-127-B Lincoln electric

.pdfwww.billswelderrepair.com/files/ALL_SA200_manuals
    Last edited by guajilloweld03; 06-16-2018 at 04:34 PM.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  136.4 KB

http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml

Read about 1 and 3 wire alternators

Yes i have followed with the solid core plug wires and D16's, wouldnt run anything other than them in these. and when governor gear is correct, it doesnt run worth a crap and is nowhere close to timed. Have it set at DC with my timing light clearly showing DC on the flywheel timing dial.

I will try the .025 and .020 gaps for the plugs and points to see if that helps any

Went through the same deal on magneto of not being on time when all timing gear marks line up. Finally came to the conclusion that the magneto had the wrong impluse coupler. My shorthood came with a Eisemann magneto, found a Fairbanks Morse FM X4B16-A1 magneto on Ebay . Installed the FM magneto and she fired up on first crank.
    What I did was remove all spark plugs and the left #4 hooked to wire and left it setting on manifold . Then turned engine with a ratchet and was able to see how late the magneto was firing. Found a Eisemann magneto manual on www.oldengine.org and confirmed it did not have a 15 degree impluse coupler.

These are 60 year old machines, some have had good life's and others have not. Some have had parts stolen and were replaced with what ever the owner could find. It's a lot easier today to find parts and deals because of the internet.
    Last edited by guajilloweld03; 06-17-2018 at 12:11 AM.

Not sure what rpm you set timing mark , but need to be set at low rpm 600,, spitting and sputtering sound maybe carb,,may increase your low idle at carb up hair ,,,this what do have scrap piece metal on ground near machine and adjusted it little at time until it jumped high idle quickly with no hesitation

Quote Originally Posted by 24vwelder View Post
    Have it set at DC with my timing light clearly showing DC on the flywheel timing dial.
    The D/C mark is for static (not running) timing the mag. With it running you adjust the mag so the "I" mark (before the D/C mark) on the flywheel lines up with the pointer or timing window. This timing is checked at high idle for the mag as once running the impulse coupler that provides retarded timing for starting is out of the picture and full advance timing is the result.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Not sure what rpm you set timing mark , but need to be set at low rpm 600
    Only for distributor ignition units that are timed at/below 600rpm to the D/C mark but should advance to the "I" mark at high idle due to the mechanical advance.

Mags are timed static to the D/C mark but to the "I" mark at high idle.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Duane,,, got info on page 51 in orange l-head overhaul note #7

Thanks for the good info Duane, I will try to find the I, not sure if I've seen it yet. Possibly but who knows. Currently trying to wrestle with these mutant muskeg weeds that seem to grow up here, hopefully get around to that this afternoon, and was always timing on high idle, not low.low idle is set at 950

So here is the DC mark, in all its surprisingly well showing white paint

And here is where it is currently timed, it appears to show a GN horizontal to the axis rather than vertical like the DC, and the pointer is not pointing at it as i didnt rotate it perfectly to show the mark.

its running better as is, but still seems to be coughing while running w/o load, under full load it purrs aggressively perfect (300 amp rod stick) doesnt cough one bit so im wondering if its a fuel issue now.

And to the alternator, it is wired up EXACTLY the same as my 74, it is the EXACT same alternator, and it wont charge. I know some alternators require a certain rpm to "Excite" but my 74 would excite at high idle (1500) and when i rev this one far past that it doesnt excite. So im going to go ahead and say its a pooched reman and get another one.

lower rpm 600 ,rotate mag on IGM

Duane,,, got info on page 51 in orange l-head overhaul note #7
    Have the same information but that would be true IF the mags used on SA200 (and others) had mechanical timing advance same as the distributor systems.

As it is, the impulse coupler provides retarded timing at D/C for starting and as soon as the coupling dogs retract from centrifugal force (approximately 600rpm and higher) the unit goes to full advance and should align with the "I" or "IGN" mark. This remains the case at 900-1000rpm low idle and 1550rpm high idle speeds seeing as the mag is already at its full advance capability.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Finally have this thing running better. doesnt spit or sputter in high idle. ended up being the points gapped too far. i mustn't have had the points open far enough when i was checking. theyre set to .020 now and its tons better.

Also got a new alternator, charges at 14.4 so the last one was clearly a pooched reman.

Hopefully going to get more business here soon and get her onto some jobs.