Dross Management
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Dross Management

Hey guys,

I’m really digging my new oxy acetylene rig, cutting through 3/8” mild steel like butter! Just have one problem, the dross it produces tends to stick to the concrete driveway. I was thinking about getting one of those fiberglass welding blankets to catch most of it, but I’ve also seen catch bins. The blanket costs $30, and is probably the most storable option.

How do you guys deal with the issue of cut waste?
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Century FC90

Re: Dross Management

Will melt right through those blankets. I'd suggest just doing it where the dross isn't an issue

2x4 frame and about an inch or two of water on the piece of plastic you put under it.

How about a piece of sheet metal, or a metal feed/water tub? Glad I didn’t buy that blanket when the impulse hit me, woulda been $40 down the drain lol.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Century FC90

I usually just put a scrap piece of plywood down. The smell of burning pine makes me feel like I’m in the mountains haha!

LOL, plywood works great keeps ya' warm too.... tried that once when I was plasmaing a sheet of 1/2 inch for some small circles, all of the sudden my legs were getting warm

A piece of metal roofing will work just fine.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"

Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Yeah, I’m assuming that any barrier I put over the top of the concrete will work so long as it’s not flammable, and can’t be melted.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Century FC90

I have a couple of 1/4 inch thick round plates approximately 18 inches in diameter that I use for that purpose. I welded a handle out on the edge of the plate so it is easy to pick up and move. The handle is as simple as a 3/8 rod bent into a square "U" maybe 4 inches across with 2 or 3 inch long legs that you weld to the plate.( the "U" is perpendicular to the plate of course.

Quote Originally Posted by villageblacksmith View Post
    I have a couple of 1/4 inch thick round plates approximately 18 inches in diameter that I use for that purpose. I welded a handle out on the edge of the plate so it is easy to pick up and move. The handle is as simple as a 3/8 rod bent into a square "U" maybe 4 inches across with 2 or 3 inch long legs that you weld to the plate.( the "U" is perpendicular to the plate of course.
    I like that idea! It seems like the area it likes to stick most is directly under the cut, 18” would probably do just fine. Certainly easy enough to keep in the garage.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Century FC90

I have another suggestion for you. I keep an old fashioned galvanized steel trash can in my shop. Just like this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Behrens-1270-...WFKTP5BY2E951F

In the bottom of the trash can I keep 50lbs of dry play sand. Ordinarily I keep a trash bag in the can. But when I need to cut inside the shop, I pull out the trash bag and use the can as a cutting station. The rim is about 28" in diameter; it's just about the right side for supporting most of the plate I want to torch cut.

The metal can catches all the dross and almost all the sparks from a cut. The sand keeps the can stable and is easy to clear of dross with a shop magnet once everything is cool. (Usually I don't bother cleaning the can.) The galvanized can won't rust. If something in the can ignites, you've got a tight fitting lid right there.

Most of the time I keep the can on a dolly so it's not a pain to move around the shop. But for cutting I pull out the dolly so it doesn't wander out from under me or whatever I'm cutting.
    Benson's Mobile Welding at your worksite or place of business. Serving Dayton, Ohio and the surrounding metro areas.
    AWS Certified Welding Inspector (#XXX10731) and Certified Welding Educator (#XXX1008E)

I like that Idea too, and was one I had as well. I had concerns that it might be too thing and glowing slag could melt the very thin metal used in those cans. But it would seem you don’t have a problem especially with sand in the bottom.

Also, do you guys have recommendations for making/purchasing a cutting guide/straight edge for oxy fuel torches? I know the process gets hot, and heat warps metal.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Century FC90

A steel barrel off of craigslist.

Begin with a residential basement oil tank sliced in half. Place it on the lawn and throw some sand in the bottom, a couple inches will do it. Make some hinges and weld them to the edge of the tank on the lawn so you can weld the other half to the hinges and have a top to keep rain out of your sand.
    When the neighborhood Zoning Nazi shows up, claim it's your BBQ.

While you drive around town look for fire escapes on abandoned buildings. You can grab some decking on a dark night and install that in your BBQ tank. Tell Mr Code Compliance you're building it so your Church can hold chicken BBQs, and insist it is portable. Add a few fake handles in case you need to prove that point. If pinned down on the issue, look to sky, hold hands aloft and mumble in unintelligible language. If necessary resort to "Why have you given me this weight to carry" while looking up.

Plan B: wear a knit welding cap and claim it's a goat cooker for your Mosque. Face East, get on knees and bellow odd sounding phrases in fake language.

^^ LOL would probably work too

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    Begin with a residential basement oil tank sliced in half. Place it on the lawn and throw some sand in the bottom, a couple inches will do it. Make some hinges and weld them to the edge of the tank on the lawn so you can weld the other half to the hinges and have a top to keep rain out of your sand.
    When the neighborhood Zoning Nazi shows up, claim it's your BBQ.

While you drive around town look for fire escapes on abandoned buildings. You can grab some decking on a dark night and install that in your BBQ tank. Tell Mr Code Compliance you're building it so your Church can hold chicken BBQs, and insist it is portable. Add a few fake handles in case you need to prove that point. If pinned down on the issue, look to sky, hold hands aloft and mumble in unintelligible language. If necessary resort to "Why have you given me this weight to carry" while looking up.

Plan B: wear a knit welding cap and claim it's a goat cooker for your Mosque. Face East, get on knees and bellow odd sounding phrases in fake language.
    I love it! May be a little more out of the way than some other suggestions, but the experience sounds awesome!
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Century FC90

Dross???????????????? You have yer pinkie finger extended when you drink your half frap cappuccino ???? Or whatever rainbow drink of the day is.

That crap be called slag

And, I don't give a tinkers dam what ya wanna call it............................it's slag when you're doing plasma too.

Dross
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

Gentle down Sam, he's from Floriduh.

Folks got strange ways over there, lot of them speak the Jewish language.

They say meadow muffins too.

Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post
    Dross???????????????? You have yer pinkie finger extended when you drink your half frap cappuccino ???? Or whatever rainbow drink of the day is.

That crap be called slag

And, I don't give a tinkers dam what ya wanna call it............................it's slag when you're doing plasma too.

Dross
    Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    Gentle down Sam, he's from Floriduh.

Folks got strange ways over there, lot of them speak the Jewish language.

They say meadow muffins too.
    Bah, I only call it what’ve heard others call it. Slag, dross, whatever it is I just can’t let it stick to the driveway or the grouchy old HOA president lady that(no joke) lives next door will send me strongly worded letters in the mail. Got one the other day, I was for sure it was going to be for welding in the driveway. Just turned out a few blades of grass were 1/4” over the 6” allowance, god forbid!
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Century FC90

HOA's... what a joke. A friend of mine converted several hundred acres 0of farm ground to lots overlooking a lake. The first buyer was a mouthy witch I know from way back and the first thing she did was form an HOA. The second thing she did was send him a letter telling him the hours and days he was allowed to farm his property across the street. He went to their next meeting and told them "I put in your streets, your utilities, and graded your lots to specs". You aint telling me how to farm. Get over it.

We got these things called Ag Districts in NY. Old timers saw the handwriting on the barn walls back in the 50s and set them up.

As an Ag District member I just love getting letters from the Town Ordering me to abate whatever tickles their fancy every time a new inspector hires on.
    First few words of the Section of Code they always reference say "Except for farms".

Fat woman next house up the road wanted me to remove a tree hanging over her house. Instead of stopping by or calling, she complained to Code Compliance. Tree's still there, truth is I don't think it's even on my land except for roots. Code guy told her to hire a surveyor to prove who owns the tree.
    I can tell the surveyor within a couple feet where the pin is in the center of the road, and I have my 1952 survey map. Best part is when Mobett bought the place her lines were established from my map.