Diversion 180 problem
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Diversion 180 problem

Only been tig welding a couple of years. Have gotten fairly good most of the time. Recently the welds have gotten pretty weird. Would go along ok one day and go south the next. Attached is a picture of what the weld looks like. Everthing looks ok when welding but looks like this when done. Machine or Me?Name:  IMG_1158.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  67.1 KB

Re: Diversion 180 problem

It might just be junk pulling into the weld from the I.D. or O.D. of the tubing slipped together. Exhaust tubing I guess. ?? was either previously a used piece ?
    Try a flat weld on two clean pieces of other steel and see if it will weld clean and you will know if it something else.

Looks like a gas issue.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    Miller Dynasty700DX, Dynasty350DX 2ea., Dynasty200DX, ThermalArc 400 GTSW, LincolnSW200 2ea., MillerMatic350P, MillerMatic200 with spoolgun, MKCobraMig260, Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm 1250

Welcome to the forum

Weld a bead lengthwise down a piece of that pipe. If that is clean, try a butt weld. I'd guess gas coverage issue. You have some unpredictable air current coming in from the gap in the joint, or it's dirty inside the joint. Diversion 180 should weld steel just fine. DCEN, Pure argon, tank not near empty, torch close, held at a steep angle. You might try a gas lens. It diffuses gas as a kitchen sink aerator does, I almost always use one. 15-20 CFH.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Don't see how it could be incoming air from the pipe unless he's got a blow gun in the tube.guys make open root pipe welds all day

Aircooled torch combined with cheap chinese collets creates crushed collets and gas blockage. First thing I do every morning is confirm gas flow with my portable gas flowchecker.
    Name:  Torch_with_PFM.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  3.8 KB

After confirming proper gas flow I pull out my trusted ER312 for difficult welds or dissimilar metals.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    Miller Dynasty700DX, Dynasty350DX 2ea., Dynasty200DX, ThermalArc 400 GTSW, LincolnSW200 2ea., MillerMatic350P, MillerMatic200 with spoolgun, MKCobraMig260, Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm 1250