Bobcat 225g Idle Solenoid
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Bobcat 225g Idle Solenoid

Just bought a new to me Bobcat 225g, KB017206. My question is, the Idle Solenoid isn't working so I put 12v to it and it did not retract. Am I right in assuming it is bad? Also I downloaded a manual from Miller site and I can't make out the wiring diagram of the Solenoid very well. Does anyone have a picture of how it wires up? Thanks in advance guys

Re: Bobcat 225g Idle Solenoid

Is this the manual you downloaded?

https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow.../O431D_MIL.pdf

The idler solenoid is shown as TS1 in the lower right corner of the diagram to the right of the starter and PC1 Idler Board.

Did you energize the solenoid with the engine running or off? If engine off, the plunger won't pull in with voltage to the coil as the magnetic force isn't strong enough to retract the plunger at the full throttle position. When running at no load, the throttle is just off the minimum idle adjustment screw and the plunger is deeper into the solenoid coil bore where the magnetic force can pull it in to the low idle position.

The manual in the link above describes the idler solenoid adjustment procedure in Section 9-5 beginning on manual page 26.

If the plunger won't pull in and hold in the solenoid bore with the plunger disengaged from the governor lever and 12VDC to the coil then it's safe to say the solenoid is bad.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

I thought that was the one I downloaded, I can read yours better. I energized it with the engine off and 12v from a fresh battery and it didn’t move

Quote Originally Posted by rezdawg View Post
    I energized it with the engine off and 12v from a fresh battery and it didn’t move
    I'm not surprised it wouldn't pull in even if the solenoid is good. With the engine off the governor has the throttle linkage in the full throttle position which places the plunger too far out to be pulled in by the magnetic force of the solenoid coil.

I suggest going thru the speeds adjustment procedure outlined in the manual.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Ok thanks Duane, I have a new multimeter on the way the will read hertz so I adjust the speed. The previous owner just had a new carburetor put on the welder, so I suspect that might have something to do with it. Thanks for all the help, I will post a picture of the wiring tomorrow When I get back to my pc
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well I managed to post it anyway, does those two wires look right?

Well the wire nut is usually a male/female QD connector but that larger wire should go to the engine/generator 6-pin bulkhead connector cavity #2. That wire should have 12VDC+ approximately 12-15 seconds after all weld and auxiliary load is removed whenever the ignition switch is in the RUN/IDLE position.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Awesome, thanks. I will eliminate the wire nut and terminate it with the proper connectors tomorrow or Friday. I welded a few beads with this machine before I bought it and it laid down some smooth welds, I’m excited to get it running proper and put it to work. Once again thanks for the help and I will let you know how it progresses

My new multimeter arrived today so I got to do a little checking, here’s what I found; voltage on the starter switch working as it should, no voltage at the solenoid, even though it still seems to be pulling on the throttle linkage anyway. No voltage between g and e on the idle module. Would it be a safe bet to assume that it’s a bad module? Set it to run at 62.5 hz for the time being. Any other suggestions Duane? Don’t really want to throw money at things I don’t have to

No voltage at idle module terminals G & E is correct IF there is no weld or auxiliary load on the unit. With a 100W load on the auxiliary power there should be approximately 1VAC between G & E. If not then the load sensing Current Transformer CT1 would be suspect.

With no weld/auxiliary power load on the unit, there should be a minimum of 10VDC at idler module terminals C(+) & E(-) with the IGN switch in the RUN/IDLE position after 12-18 seconds any weld/auxiliary power load has been removed.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Ok I finally got to test the idle module today, no voltage between C & E after load has been removed. I didn’t have a 100 watt bulb but I did plug in my drill and lock the trigger back and it produced 5.1 volts between G & E. So I’m assuming I have a bad module?

I trust you waited 12-18 seconds after removing the load before checking between C & E. If so, it would be safe to suspect the idler module is defective.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Thank you very much for your help, I ordered a module and I will update how its working when I get it put on.