Mig Wire or Flux Core
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Mig Wire or Flux Core

I have a ford 5.4 with several rusted exhausted manifold studs broken inside the head. I have viewed several videos of mechanics using there welders to weld a nut onto the stud and then removing it. Seems easy enough. However what wire should I use or doesn't it really matter. Regular MIG or Flux Core?The heads are aluminum but the bolt is steel.Flux core leaves slag. Is flux core stronger that mig wire? I'll be using my Lincoln 140. Thanks for your help. Ken

Re: Mig Wire or Flux Core

Either one would work would recommend solid wire. The flux core will spit a lot and may damage the threads. The flux itself would just crumble loose. I usually aim for center and shoot short bursts. 0.023 wire works best for me.

I thought this is a TIG welding job. What do I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use solid wire for this when not using tig.

I weld a washer on first because I can see the end of the stud better. Then I weld the nut to washer, then fill the nut with weld.

I've removed 40 year old rusted, broken head bolts this way, works good. Also removed several suds into aluminum this way.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenskip1 View Post
    I have a ford 5.4 with several rusted exhausted manifold studs broken inside the head. I have viewed several videos of mechanics using there welders to weld a nut onto the stud and then removing it. Seems easy enough. However what wire should I use or doesn't it really matter. Regular MIG or Flux Core?The heads are aluminum but the bolt is steel.Flux core leaves slag. Is flux core stronger that mig wire? I'll be using my Lincoln 140. Thanks for your help. Ken
    I found flux core works the best it has flux to help with any rust that was clean up

Also no bottles to lug around

Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    I use solid wire for this when not using tig.

I weld a washer on first because I can see the end of the stud better. Then I weld the nut to washer, then fill the nut with weld.

I've removed 40 year old rusted, broken head bolts this way, works good. Also removed several suds into aluminum this way.
    I'm pretty sure the heat from welding a nut on to the end of a broken bolt or stud does a lot for helping to break the threads loose easier. The thermal cycle of things swelling up from getting hot and then shrinking when the cool off is what does it. So I always let things cool all the way back off before wrenching on it. Another trick that a mechanic showed me years a go was that instead of using so much force on the wrench that you run the risk of weld failure and the nut twisting off is to just keep a moderate force on the wrench and go to making repeated light taps on the nut with a small hammer. A lot of times after 30 (or more) light taps things will magically start moving easier.

Quote Originally Posted by HT2-4956 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the heat from welding a nut on to the end of a broken bolt or stud does a lot for helping to break the threads loose easier. The thermal cycle of things swelling up from getting hot and then shrinking when the cool off is what does it. So I always let things cool all the way back off before wrenching on it. Another trick that a mechanic showed me years a go was that instead of using so much force on the wrench that you run the risk of weld failure and the nut twisting off is to just keep a moderate force on the wrench and go to making repeated light taps on the nut with a small hammer. A lot of times after 30 (or more) light taps things will magically start moving easier.
    A little ball pean is what I use most of the time too.

Although sometimes I use an air impact with a paint flow regulator chucked into it.

I set the regulator to zero, pull the trigger, gradually increase pressure until it tap-tap-taps the nut lightly.

Works really good
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

Thanks for the replies. I have been using .030 and hopefully this will do. I did this procedure on a chainsaw and it worked better than I could have imagined. Hopefully this will work on these broken exhausts studs.Thanks, Ken

the flux from either flux core or stick helps protect the threads to a degree...this trick has saved many hours of having to drill out broken bolts and studs ...amazes me every time it works..

Nobody mentioned this " trick" is cast only. You start trying to remove a bolt from a metal thingie and you'll have a permanent bolt

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Nobody mentioned this " trick" is cast only. You start trying to remove a bolt from a metal thingie and you'll have a permanent bolt
    I tend to disagree - I've used this for steel and aluminum as well.
    Have to be careful of course or the result you state could occur.
    Dave J.

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Just used it for removing 16mm bolts on a hitachi 120 frame regular good steel, I find the hotter I can get em fast the better... you do have to be careful though... have had a few times where a die grinder and taps had to be used afterwards

I had a salesman sell my coworker on a box of sticks they called Excalibur. I dont remember what he spent but he couldnt get them to work. He threw them in the trash. I recovered them and played with a couple nuts and bolts in the vise. They worked like a dream, the flux was so fluid it ran into the threads and kept me from messing up. Stuck it in the center and it started burning , didnt have to do anything until i got to the nut. When it cooled i wiggled it with a wrench and the flux crumbled, spun right out. I still have a couple pounds of it in the cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by wrench3047 View Post
    I had a salesman sell my coworker on a box of sticks they called Excalibur. I dont remember what he spent but he couldnt get them to work. He threw them in the trash. I recovered them and played with a couple nuts and bolts in the vise. They worked like a dream, the flux was so fluid it ran into the threads and kept me from messing up. Stuck it in the center and it started burning , didnt have to do anything until i got to the nut. When it cooled i wiggled it with a wrench and the flux crumbled, spun right out. I still have a couple pounds of it in the cabinet.
    Sounds like the Rockmount brand "Brutus" rods, not cheap but it works. That's the only stuff I ever bought from them. I kind of suspect it's mostly an overpriced 312 stainless rod. But it worked for me in many a tough extraction job.

With my (lack of) expertise I would attempt this trick only in aluminium or cast pieces.... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Sounds like the Rockmount brand "Brutus" rods, not cheap but it works. That's the only stuff I ever bought from them. I kind of suspect it's mostly an overpriced 312 stainless rod. But it worked for me in many a tough extraction job.
    I just dug them out, "EXCALIBUR" from Cronatron

TIG works good on small stuff where accuracy is important.

I am not sure your machine has enough output. Use flux core and try one bolt first. You might have to weld to the bolt 2 or 3 times.
    Lincoln Power MIG 180.
    Winco 6000 watt generator (13hp Honda)

Kenskip, have you tried anything with those broken bolts yet?

Just this morning I removed a couple on a Harley frame. One was with a lincoln weldpak 100 with solid wire and 75/25. The other i drilled out with a left handed bit, heated it with a jewelers torch. When it cooled spun right out. If you weld on a nut, let it all cool before torquing on it. A squirt of oil while cooling helps also.