Powermax30 shuts off while cutting
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Powermax30 shuts off while cutting

I have a powermax30 that's about 4 years old and has been absolutely flawless until yesterday. I turned it on and cut about an inch into a picec of 1/4" plate and the machine shut off just like you flipped the switch. I turned the switch off and back on and nothing. I could wait about 10 minutes and turn it on and be able to cut another inch and it would shut down again. When I say it shuts off, I mean it's just like you pulled the plug. Any ideas at all?

Re: Powermax30 shuts off while cutting

Well....that has never happened to me, however if you contact tech service I am very positive they will steer you right to it. technical.service@hypertherm.com or 1 800 643 9878 .

My bet is with the torch "parts in place" switch. This switch (inside the torch) shuts the power supply off when you remove the consumables as a safety feature. If you have severely worn consumables....or consumables not manufactured by Hypertherm this switch can randomly shut the unit off. The switch also could be worn and not activating adequately. Either way, tech service can direct you to resolving it. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by LMREESE View Post
    I have a powermax30 that's about 4 years old and has been absolutely flawless until yesterday. I turned it on and cut about an inch into a picec of 1/4" plate and the machine shut off just like you flipped the switch. I turned the switch off and back on and nothing. I could wait about 10 minutes and turn it on and be able to cut another inch and it would shut down again. When I say it shuts off, I mean it's just like you pulled the plug. Any ideas at all?

You pick the order but I'd also check the connections at the receptacle it's plugged into, the receptacle itself, the power cord plug/connections to see if they're loosing contact under load. There's been more than one occasion that a loose connection has wreaked havoc with machines of all sorts.

If Jim's suggestions come up empty I'd check the main power switch to see if it's contacts are loosing conductivity under load by connecting a VOM to the load side using alligator clip test leads or method of your choice so you can see immediate results as soon as the unit shuts off.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

I had a similar issue with a mig welder and it turned out that the thermal over temp ( duty cycle ) sensor was failing.