Size:  133.8 KBName:  KIMG0036.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  82.4 KBName:  KIMG0039.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  134.3 KBName:  KIMG0041.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  76.0 KBName:  KIMG0042.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  67.3 KB First attempt at a post with pictures. This is a project that came in the other day. It is a brass bearing for a dredge. It was shipped without the holes in the flange, it was too long over all, and it needed to be machined to fit. Not sure how to insert script between photos yet, but I am sure someone will help. I had no way to get the bearing in a machine to drill the holes in the flange, so I cut a circle from 3/4 inch plate, 17 1/2 inches in diameter. I then drilled the holes to 59/64 using the milling machine. Then I clamped the plate to the flange, and used the mag drill to drill the holes. While in the mill I installed the one inch hole you see in the center so that I could later insert the stub that you see being machined in the lathe. The purpose of the stub is to hold the plate in the lathe with the bearing bolted to it. One other comment- the picture of the drill bits is to show those unfamiliar with drilling brass that the regular angle is too steep. The brass will grab the bit. I thought I would be careful, but the first hole I drilled showed me being careful was not enough. The bit grabbed upon exiting the hole, and without hardly a grunt twisted the chuck right off the adapter. After machining a part to fix it, I next took another old bit that was almost the same size, just a little smaller, and flattened out the angle by eye on the bench grinder. I then finished the holes without anymore mishaps, then finished them to size with the correct bit. This is just an example of the various steps required to get a job done.
    Last edited by villageblacksmith; 05-10-2018 at 05:40 PM. Reason: didn't get the script in

Re: Cutlass bearing project

Here is a picture of the bearing in the lathe.Name:  KIMG0044.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  67.4 KB It pretty well maxed out the lathe as far as on the diameter. Looking in the right end of the bearing you can see the spider that I made to hold the outboard end.
    Last edited by villageblacksmith; 05-10-2018 at 06:29 PM.

Nice little project. I worked for a hydroelectric repair and rebuilder for a couple years back in the 80's. We would replace the original wood bearings in the hydros with one of those cutlass bearings. We would cut them in half the long way and install bolting flanges on the outside to bolt them back together after they were installed on the runner shaft. They worked great on those hydros as long as they had water flowing through them. They only last seconds if they happen to run dry for some reason. The turbines would rotate about 1/2 turn and they were up on water and never touch the rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    Nice little project. I worked for a hydroelectric repair and rebuilder for a couple years back in the 80's. We would replace the original wood bearings in the hydros with one of those cutlass bearings. We would cut them in half the long way and install bolting flanges on the outside to bolt them back together after they were installed on the runner shaft. They worked great on those hydros as long as they had water flowing through them. They only last seconds if they happen to run dry for some reason. The turbines would rotate about 1/2 turn and they were up on water and never touch the rubber.
    I am surprised you were able to tighten those jack bolt enough on that rubber to keep it solid in the lathe. I would think the pressure would start bulging the brass so it was out of round.

Most of the weight of the bearing was held by the flange as I am sure you know. The spider bolts actually didn't have to be tightened so very tight. I agree with you Gary, that it does seem as if it may not work so well. I snugged up the live center and as far as I could tell the spider never moved.

Geeus, The title of this post caught my attention, as I am in the process of replacing the one in my boat, yours is a little bigger,haha.
    A big job !! Looks great!