Wheel truing stand dilemma
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Wheel truing stand dilemma

Trying to build a wheel truing stand. I saw this dudes from off chopcult...https://i.imgur.com/Q6u4x7r.jpg
    and really dug it. Its alot like the older cast stands for motorcycles or bicycles. I went and got some 1" rod and some 2" long coupling nuts, and even at 6 inches thru the nut its got some sag to it. This cant be how the ones like the old hd or Rowe stands are is it? Maybe it all tightens up when the cones push together on the bearings? I bought uncoated coarse thread rod cause i figured without the zinc coating it might be made to closer tolerances(no wobble/looseness) but this doesnt seem to be the case. Would fine thread all thread work better? Ideas?

Re: Wheel truing stand dilemma

Not real familiar with a truing stand, but you will get tighter tolerances with a fine thread vs a coarse thread.

My first thought was ball threads. However, perhaps there is a precision toggle clamp that would work?

I built about 100 bicycle wheels on a crappy Minoura wheel stand. It had course thread gauges however it located on the wheel axle.

Is using the wheel axle not an option?. Or even a dummy axle with spacers and cones?
    Last edited by tapwelder; 05-11-2018 at 11:14 PM.

The one in the picture has too much overhang. It's like any machine tool, or work holding jig................you need minimal distance between the sides, and the wheel. That sucker is way too wide.

Go with at least 1" acme threaded rod. It's better quality steel than all thread.

Make one side fixed.....no threaded rod. Only use threaded rod on one side. Make the fixed side out of some very rigid steel.

Make the frame as rigid, and as heavy, as possible. Weight translates to rigidity. 3" square tubing at minimum. And bolted/mounted to something heavy that won't vibrate or flex.

It doesn't take much to introduce a few thou of apparent runout when things aren't rigid.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

http://www.farmersamm.com/

Using two couplings on each side,spaced 3-4” apart greatly reduce “sag”.
    Care in positioning/clamping/welding would be critical, so screws don’t bind.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

Quote Originally Posted by tbirkey View Post
    This cant be how the ones like the old hd or Rowe stands are is it?
    Sorry to go off topic. But I bought my lathe from Ed Rowe when he closed his shop and retired.
    Name:  lathe-01.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  198.2 KB
    He was super cool and had some great stories.

Dave
    2016 AHP AlphaTIG 200X
    Dave's Telescopes Page

Just a small amount of slop accentuated by the distance is all. The line up could be done using two pointed all threads that meet in the middle (line up bars). That would allow for much of the sag. Gettin it tacked without significant movement might be a trick.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

I made my own a while back... and I bought the rod and tapered cones from Motion Pro (I think)

It never sagged.... with any wheel.

the rod is solid.

with your design, you will never get it tight enough to not sag..... if you do, you will probably damage the bearings...... (i'm assuming those are points that go into the wheel)

I also like the fact I can level the whole thing....
    Last edited by John T; 05-12-2018 at 03:17 PM. Reason: cuz
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

I built a stand that had the upright arms adjustable in and out with holes drilled in the base. Fine tuned it long set screws with machined cones on the ends. I used it for one set of wheel(motorcycle). I built this as a government job at the last place I worked so I have no real time or money into it. In my opinion though, unless you are going to build a lot of wheels for other people you do not need a stand. It is just as easy to true the wheels while it is in the forks or swingarm of the bike you are working on.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxford View Post
    I built a stand that had the upright arms adjustable in and out with holes drilled in the base. Fine tuned it long set screws with machined cones on the ends. I used it for one set of wheel(motorcycle). I built this as a government job at the last place I worked so I have no real time or money into it. In my opinion though, unless you are going to build a lot of wheels for other people you do not need a stand. It is just as easy to true the wheels while it is in the forks or swingarm of the bike you are working on.
    Kawasaki triple much?

I like to build to the absolute best of my ability, good way to learn stuff. Want to keep this stand around for the next 50 years. Not into doing it in the forks at all, total pita.

Was going to build a stand similar to the above pictured, but do not like the design or look. The older stands are too beautiful to stray from, even if it is made from sqr tubing.

I kinda just need to know whether the acme thread will have less slop than the all thread or if it will sag the same.

Arms xannot mive closer together, gotta true a 7" rear hub and a 4" spool

I would expect Acme to be worse.

Here’s a thought. Instead of one long nut, use two nuts separated by a longer distance. Weld them down with the all thread already in them for alignment. Then use a hacksaw to slice through each at 3 o’clock. Now make a clamping collar that closes the gap.

I use a truing stand at least once a week, I think now I have a bikemaster, nothing special, they don't need to be. The operator is the key.

That might be the trick with the hacksaw ... Either that or have tighter nuts machined

Quote Originally Posted by flipsk12 View Post
    Kawasaki triple much?
    Yes.

Here's pics of the one I built.

Now that is a truing stand. Though I've seen your builds and would expect nothing less.
    Skye