New to mag drillin
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

New to mag drillin

I have a project I need a mag drill for. I ordered a TYP-75 from Blurock. It is the same as a Baileigh MD-6000 except it accepts up 1.25" Weldon shank.

I need to build 10 of these pedestals. On this project I need to cut some 2" holes. I can either cut 50 holes before welding the 1/4" plate to the 1/4" wall tube. Or cut 30 holes after they are welded. I dont have any stack cutters. I have heard that you can do a stack cut with a regular cutter by removing the first slug before cutting through the second layer. Another thought I had was, could could I drill a smaller hole & weld what will be the two slugs together then cut them out?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Miller XMT 304 cc/cv
    Miller 12RC w/ 15ft Tweco #4 Gun
    Miller 30A Spoolgun
    Custom Thermal Arc TA 10/270 Generator "Thermal Star"
    Smith oxy/acet-propane with weld, cut & rosebud tips
    And of course grinders, chop saws, hand tools

Re: New to mag drillin

Do you need 1/2 inch material thickness around the hole? If not then cut the plate in a fixture that holds/located the plate for consistent cutting. Can the hole in the post be burned ? If you drill on the post you will possibly need a fixture to support the drill and keep it on.

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Do you need 1/2 inch material thickness around the hole? If not then cut the plate in a fixture that holds/located the plate for consistent cutting. Can the hole in the post be burned ? If you drill on the post you will possibly need a fixture to support the drill and keep it on.
    The hole in the post could be burned that would be much faster with plasma. But just so I know for future use. Has anone done a stack cut with a conventional annular cutter.

Miller XMT 304 cc/cv
    Miller 30A Spoolgun

If by stack you mean multiple layers resulting in multiple slugs then yes, it was a horizontal bore into the back of the blade on a mini excavator. It was a progressive bore, first a 1 inch cutter for 1/2 inch depth then switch to a ~7/8( or something for threading a 1 inch fine thread bolt... can't remember right now) then bored straight through the remaining 3 layers 1/2" + 14mm+6-8mm in one pass.Some of the holes I recovered all the slugs but 1 or 2 the inner most slug got lost inside the blade. I only removed the first cut slug because I was switching cutter sizes also used a 2 inch depth cutter on the second cut whilst the first was only a 1 inch deep cutter.

Name:  cx60-magdrill.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  67.5 KB
    Last edited by ronsii; 05-13-2018 at 12:35 AM.

We do stacked cutting all the time. Just remove the slug after the first layer and then drill through the next layer. An old pair of mig pliers with a taper ground into the point works great for pulling the first slug out of the hole. In your situation I would clamp another piece of 1/4" plate to the pedestal below the one that needs drilled to set the drill onto. Good luck!

Just make sure you get the first slug out if it pops out make sure its not back in the hole that will destroy a cutter faster than you can say o****
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Probably should just buy a annular cutter made for stack cutting. Your most likely going to fuuk up the one you have, and need to replace it anyway. Save the aggravation and do it the easy way.

Last edited by tackit; 05-13-2018 at 11:39 AM.

I will lay the pedestals down to cut the holes so I won't need to have anything for the drill to rest on. I like the mig pliers idea. I may also add a handle to a neodymium magnet to remove slugs.

Miller XMT 304 cc/cv
    Miller 30A Spoolgun

The drill came in yesterday. I wasn't at the shop when FedEx dropped it off. My helper, Larry said the driver came in & said he had a heavy package. Larry asked him if he needed a forklift & the drivers eyes lit up & he said "YEAH!" Larry asked him how heavy it was. He said, "75lbs." So Larry went out & carried it in (without a forklift).
    Miller XMT 304 cc/cv
    Miller 30A Spoolgun

A caution that just might save you grief: When you drill through tubing on the side that has a weld seam your cutter is going through nasty material that can have hard spots. If you can arrange it have your tube weld seam on the sides that do not have to be drilled.
    Also as you are drilling keep it covered in coolant. When your bit gets dull it takes more and more pressure to cut. Novices do not notice this and keep uping the pressure after say the first 50 holes when your bit loses its edge. Then they push so hard the magnet lets go, the drill shifts and the cutter fractures. Better to send in your cutter for sharpening before it gets broken.
    Also do not lift the cutter then lower it back down without clearing ALL the chips in the bottom of the groove. The cutting edges will ride on those chips and not cut. The novice figures he will just add more pressure. If he is lucky he breaks through that little chip. If he is unlucky the magnet shifts and the cutter fractures.
    I have saved hundreds of cutters by explaining this to newbies in shops. No one tells them anything then same people call them idiots for breaking a cutter. Of course new guys are always put on the mag drill.
    Then the foreman says, " Why do I have a shop full of idiots?"
    Last edited by lotechman; 05-16-2018 at 09:29 PM.

The description Bluerock has for what is included is not accurate. It comes in a blow mold plastic case (not steel). It does come with a 5/8" chuck for regular bits.

I have found a couple small problems so far. With the 3/4" weldon adaptor the ejector pins are about 1.5" from the ejector spring. The cutter set I got came with 2 pins. I welded 1.5" long 1/4" rod to the back of one. The pin hole in the adaptor was slightly off center also. I drilled the hole a little bigger. Now it pops the slugs right out.

It is heavy & bulky. If this works without many problems I may get one of their small mag drills in a few months. I lost out on getting a project last year because I couldn't drill 2.5" holes. I didn't want that to happen again. So I got the biggest I could afford.
    Last edited by osweld; 05-16-2018 at 09:21 PM.
    Miller XMT 304 cc/cv
    Miller 30A Spoolgun

Quote Originally Posted by lotechman View Post
    A caution that just might save you grief: When you drill through tubing on the side that has a weld seam your cutter is going through nasty material that can have hard spots. If you can arrange it have your tube weld seam on the sides that do not have to be drilled.
    Also as you are drilling keep it covered in coolant. When your bit gets dull it takes more and more pressure to cut. Novices do not notice this and keep uping the pressure after say the first 50 holes when your bit loses its edge. Then they push so hard the magnet lets go, the drill shifts and the cutter fractures. Better to send in your cutter for sharpening before it gets broken.
    Also do not lift the cutter then lower it back down without clearing ALL the chips in the bottom of the groove. The cutting edges will ride on those chips and not cut. The novice figures he will just add more pressure. If he is lucky he breaks through that little chip. If he is unlucky the magnet shifts and the cutter fractures.
    I have saved hundreds of cutters by explaining this to newbies in shops. No one tells them anything then same people call them idiots for breaking a cutter. Of course new guys are always put on the mag drill.
    Thanks for the tips. What kind of coolant do you recommend? What I've heard alot is: it doesn't matter what it is. It just needs to be there. In the few holes I did so far I used power steering fluid. I think something thinner may work better.
    Last edited by osweld; 05-16-2018 at 09:57 PM.
    Miller XMT 304 cc/cv
    Miller 30A Spoolgun

I use Crisco( white lard crap) put on with an acid brush. "Cooling" is an over used term.Flooding and misting = cooling. Lube cools the contact point and prevents galling or chip bind.

Quote Originally Posted by osweld View Post
    Thanks for the tips. What kind of coolant do you recommend? What I've heard alot is: it doesn't matter what it is. It just needs to be there. In the few holes I did so far I used power steering fluid. I think something thinner may work better.
    Solutions supplied by manufacturers is very thin and often water soluble. If your chips discolour the life of the cutters edges is very short. Most of the shops used the same as used in their saws. When placed in a trigger spray bottle you can shoot a stream on the cutter every two or three seconds. Primary role in this case is coolant with some minor lubrication. When you can see little bright spots on the cutting edges it is time to sharpen. You can get carbide tipped cutters but VERY expensive. In one shop they used them for bridge beam plate connections. Only the machinist was allowed to use. It was verboten for the grunts on the shop floor. Class system even on a shop floor LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by osweld View Post
    I've been using the Jancy Slugger cutting fluid lately mixed 1:8 with water

I've used Milwaukee Hawg Wash - 16oz - Part Number: 49-32-0081. Concentrate that mixes with water, makes a gallon of coolant. Under $10 per bottle. Has Sulfur in it to hold up to the very high contact pressures. I use the big Milwaukee mag drill, but it should work in any similar process.

In my drill press fixture I made for this, I use ATF. it's cheap, made for high pressure, easy to cleanup, and it smokes when I'm running too hot. I find that early warning smoke signal has greatly increased my bit life. I have one bit that has cut about 300 @ 2" Diameter 3/8" deep holes, still sharp as new. Makes that hole in 9-11 seconds.
    Everlast 350 EXT - Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 - Rogue Fabrication M600 xHD tube bender
    Milwaukee 4208 Mag Drill - Shopmaster Eldorado Combo mill/lathe machine with DRO.