How old is this setup?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

How old is this setup?

I picked up a vintage oxy setup recently and haven't been able to figure out the age of the regs and torch. One of the tanks is a 1946 prest-o-lite in excellent shape.

I'm trying to figure out how old the set is.

Does this look like a date stamp?

Last edited by One1; 05-13-2018 at 06:53 PM.
    1957 Lincoln Idealarc 300, 1969 Lincoln AC225S, 2017 Lincoln 180 PowerMig.

Re: How old is this setup?

I have a set of torch's like that. And I bought it around 1976 or so. That may be a date code.
    Last edited by mechanic416; 05-13-2018 at 07:29 PM.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Repair
    Tec.Mo. Wholesale Distributor and Dealer
    Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's.

OLD Prestolite with the offset valve, definite B tank. They racked slightly above horizontal in Buses so the valve was offset to prevent Acetone discharge. Look at the bottom of the tank and see if there is a pressure gauge threaded into the bottom to indicate tank fill.

Regulators are late 60s at best.

Be prepared for BS when you try getting the B refilled. Lot of places will tell you it can't be because it contains asbestos.

Interesting. I haven't looked on bottom yet, but the tank has 200 psi in it so basically full if it pumps up to the same as a modern B tank. Does acetylene have a "use by" date or does it remain good?

Nice looking regulators and torch, I believe Harris was the supplier for Craftsman so tips, etc. should be easy to find at the LWS.

Quote Originally Posted by One1 View Post
    Interesting. I haven't looked on bottom yet, but the tank has 200 psi in it so basically full if it pumps up to the same as a modern B tank. Does acetylene have a "use by" date or does it remain good?

Use by is generally Friday, right after the supply house closes for the weekend and you have a bunch of soldering to do.

I have an old Craftsman torch set that my dad bought used in 1959 if I remember right, just used it the other day. Gotta find out what kind of lube I can use on the oxy valve, I may just loosen the packing nut & try to work the stiffness out that way.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE 100% DUTY CYCLE
    DAD SAYS, "IF YA AIN'T GONNA USE YOUR HEAD, YOU BOUT AS WELL HAVE TWO A$$HOLES."
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    OLD Prestolite with the offset valve, definite B tank. They racked slightly above horizontal in Buses so the valve was offset to prevent Acetone discharge. Look at the bottom of the tank and see if there is a pressure gauge threaded into the bottom to indicate tank fill.

Regulators are late 60s at best.

Be prepared for BS when you try getting the B refilled. Lot of places will tell you it can't be because it contains asbestos.

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    I have an old Craftsman torch set that my dad bought used in 1959 if I remember right, just used it the other day. Gotta find out what kind of lube I can use on the oxy valve, I may just loosen the packing nut & try to work the stiffness out that way.
    High pressure side, nothing. Low pressure side.... Whatever long as it doesn't get in the line.

Ivory bar soap on the torch handle.

Disassemble the valve, soap the threads & reassemble.

Been used for at least 60 years I know of.

Not sure of age but the PRESTOLITE name was on tanks in the sixties. They were a popular soldering torch with a nice soft flame. Today they have been replaced by a TURBO torch. I still have one and a variety of tips. Sometimes the nice soft flame gives more control .
    As for refilling, I never had a problem with any '' B '' tanks. I do have a tank with Prestolite on it and no issues refilling.

i have the same craftsman regulators purchased in the early 70's and still working. i can't remember where the torch got to.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Nice looking regulators and torch, I believe Harris was the supplier for Craftsman so tips, etc. should be easy to find at the LWS.
    Look at the model numbers on the regulator badging. It should start with a 624 prefix that denotes Harris as the manufacturing vendor for Sears. As for date code? My little Craftsman torch is stamped 11-71 and I purchased it new in May of 1972 so it seems accurate.

As for the old prestolight B cylinder? Just run it empty (acetylene does not have an expiration date) and exchange it at the LWS. Never had a problem in 45 years of swapping bottles. With the small oxygen and Acetyline bottles there are no titles. All are user owned and “possession proves ownership”. If you decide to upgrade to larger tank they will take your B bottle back and credit you towards the cost of a larger tank.
    Roger
    Old, Tired, and GRUMPY

Salesman will call, Batteries not included, Assembly is required, and FREE ADVICE IS WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR IT!

Dial Arc 250HF
    Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC

Assorted A/O torches

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    You need something that won't burn or splode with oxygen. Krytox grease is one thing you can use.

It's the low side on the torch handle, I guess I should have specified that. I know that nothing can be used on the high side, yhat's something my dad beat into my head daily! Anyways, thanks guys for the info.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE 100% DUTY CYCLE
    DAD SAYS, "IF YA AIN'T GONNA USE YOUR HEAD, YOU BOUT AS WELL HAVE TWO A$$HOLES."
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Found the same 11-77 on the regulators so I'm going with date stamp.

As far as the Harris connection i tried a Harris tip and it will work, though not a direct match. Definitely useable and unlike my victor heavy duty set which is not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Rog02 View Post
    Look at the model numbers on the regulator badging. It should start with a 624 prefix that denotes Harris as the manufacturing vendor for Sears. As for date code? My little Craftsman torch is stamped 11-71 and I purchased it new in May of 1972 so it seems accurate.

As for the old prestolight B cylinder? Just run it empty (acetylene does not have an expiration date) and exchange it at the LWS. Never had a problem in 45 years of swapping bottles. With the small oxygen and Acetyline bottles there are no titles. All are user owned.
    Torch and regs have 313

Quote Originally Posted by One1 View Post
    Torch and regs have 313

313 comes back as Harris Calorific being the manufacturer.
    http://vintagemachinery.org/Craftsma...facturers.aspx
    Roger
    Old, Tired, and GRUMPY

Salesman will call, Batteries not included, Assembly is required, and FREE ADVICE IS WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAY FOR IT!

Dial Arc 250HF
    Thunderbolt 225 AC/DC

Assorted A/O torches

Cool. Thanks.

Deleted.

Last edited by One1; 05-15-2018 at 03:20 AM.