‘64 sa200
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: ‘64 sa200

‘64 sa200

Hello all. I am a new member and new to the SA200 world. My grandfather is an old diesel mechanic and John Deere collector and seemed to always have SA200’s sitting around so it was only fitting I bought one to restore with the intentions of keeping it forever. That being said I purchased a ‘64 that was not welding. Ended up being a bad exciter armature and now she is making power on the generator end(I did the exciter coils as well). I upgraded to a electric low idle and did away with the R-57. During this retorofit I found two issues...1. My battery was bad 2. My original charging generator was bad. After reading through lots of input on this forum I have decided to go with the 10si alternator as they are readily available at any parts house for half the price of a 1 wire online.

My question about this is my current low idle kit is wired into the oil pressure switch that came with it. When I concert to the 10si I will also have to tie into an oil pressure switch correct? When I do this can I tie into the same oil pressure switch? Also does anybody have a wiring diagram for the 10si on the SA200?

Also when I get everything rebuilt I plan to then label and tear down for paint. How is everybody painting their units? Do I need to separate the generator from the engine to paint? If I do separate it, is it a bad idea to have the original main armature dipped and baked prior to reinstalling?
    1965 SA200
    (In Progress)
    Code:5604
    A-529631
    Millermatic 211
    Makin it up as I go...

Re: ‘64 sa200

Yes, you can use the same oil pressure switch for the alternator as the one used for the new idler system.

Wiring the 10SI is easy. Obviously the BAT terminal connects to the (+) battery terminal at the starter solenoid. 10ga. wire is typical and if an ammeter is used wiring would be from the alternator BAT terminal to the (+) terminal of the ammeter and from the (-) ammeter terminal to the main (+) battery cable at the starter solenoid.

To excite the 10SI upon startup, a 16-14ga wire should run from the Normally Open side of the oil pressure switch to the "1" terminal of the alternator. Some prefer to install an indicator lamp in series in this circuit but is not necessary for proper alternator operation but could take the place of an ammeter or used in addition to.

Your choice to either paint assembled or separated and as far as dipping/baking the main armature, I personally see little to no value in doing so although many choose to do so.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Thanks Duane for the Info.

Here is little update on how I spent most my week off on the 200. Cleaned up most the wiring for the on/off switch and relocated it and the push start to the front of the machine. Picked up analternator and got the brackets I wanted ordered along with three Murphy gauges. While waiting for those to show up I fabricated a thermostat retainer and picked up a new thermostat. When I started removing all the old hoses they were full of rust, so was the thermostat housing, which to my surprise had no thermostat or retainer installed in it. I figured I’d go ahead and flush the cooling system via the coolant petcock in the side of the block. Well this turned into a 2 day ordeal as I wasn’t satisfied with just flushing it. Ended up removing the radiator and having it cleaned and tested. Was informed by the radiator shop it was rotted out and needed tobereolaxed. Nobody in the Waco area wants to recore it. While I was stewing on this I formation I removed the head so that I could better clean the jackets with my chemical of choice, as well as remove all the carbon on the valves and pistons. Good thing I did. Pretty nasty.

Got the water jackets about as clean as they are going to get unless I strip the block and have it boiled out. Head cleaned up nice. Murphy gauges showed up and I did little prep work welding a nut to the plug on the head that needed to be removed to Install temp probe. Worked like a charm. Waiting on a head gasket, and valve cover gasket currently so I can re install the head, set my valve lash and then work on my radiator issue. I’m headed back offshore Tuesday for a week so it’ll give me time for all the parts to show up and I can keep digging into this thing on my next 7 days off.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    1965 SA200
    (In Progress)
    Code:5604
    A-529631
    Millermatic 211
    Makin it up as I go...

There are a number of suppliers of replacement SA200 radiators on eBay for less than what a re-core would cost.

I've use a number of radiators from Abilene Machine Sales but they can be out of stock from time to time.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/G10877198-N...19.m1438.l2649

Search G10877198 or Lincoln SA200 radiator and you'll find plenty of choices.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Look nice,,,no temp stat? Did oil look milky?purposed of temp stat is keep engine from sweating inside so won"t turn oil to sludge,,, me would also flip oil filter housing and repipe ,you used brake line with flare tool,,,second on radiator on ebay,,,

Quote Originally Posted by charlie53843 View Post
    . . . would also flip oil filter housing and repipe
    Why? Nothing wrong with the way it is from the factory.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!