Only have 3/32 filler and have only tried 3/32 tungsten. What am I missing
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Only have 3/32 filler and have only tried 3/32 tungsten. What am I missing

Hey all- what are all the sizes of tungsten for? I have never tried a smaller filler as my local welding supply only typically has 3/32 and 1/8 in stock. I have used 3/32 for filler and electrode on everything from exhaust pipe to 1/4 plate steel. It occurred to me yesterday that maybe I am making it too difficult by inadvertently simplifying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Only have 3/32 filler and have only tried 3/32 tungsten. What am I missing

Small tungsten is for low amps, big tungsten is for high amps. 3/32 should work fine for you. We only is 1/8 where I work.

Quote Originally Posted by hpfiend View Post
    Hey all- what are all the sizes of tungsten for? I have never tried a smaller filler as my local welding supply only typically has 3/32 and 1/8 in stock. I have used 3/32 for filler and electrode on everything from exhaust pipe to 1/4 plate steel. It occurred to me yesterday that maybe I am making it too difficult by inadvertently simplifying?

For that thinner stuff like exhaust pipe you'd be better off using 1/16" filler rod. When you start getting down thinner than that you can always start taking wire off a mig spool and straightening it to get .045 and .035 diameter filler rod. When you try to add to big a filler rod to, to a small puddle it doesn't go smoothly because every time you dip it chills the puddle off too much. It works against you as far as getting smooth good looking welds down. Personally I'd rather use a filler rod that was a little undersized for the task at hand than one that was a little over sized. It's easier (and works smoother) to melt more of a smaller diameter filler rod off on each dip than it is to try and add just a teensy bit of a bigger rod on each dip.

Quote Originally Posted by HT2-4956 View Post
    For that thinner stuff like exhaust pipe you'd be better off using 1/16" filler rod. When you start getting down thinner than that you can always start taking wire off a mig spool and straightening it to get .045 and .035 diameter filler rod. When you try to add to big a filler rod to, to a small puddle it doesn't go smoothly because every time you dip it chills the puddle off too much. It works against you as far as getting smooth good looking welds down. Personally I'd rather use a filler rod that was a little undersized for the task at hand than one that was a little over sized. It's easier (and works smoother) to melt more of a smaller diameter filler rod off on each dip than it is to try and add just a teensy bit of a bigger rod on each dip.
    Good post, I’m new to TIG, and have been In the same boat as OP so far. I’ll get some 1/16” filler to try as well.
    -Mark Smith

Vulcan ProTig200
    Everlast Powertig 185DV

^^^^What HT2-4956 said. On the flip side up the amps and jamming with thick filler can give the definition and throat you may want for fillets or butt welds. If limited on amps thin filler may be the trick.

I don't even use 1/16" tungstens anymore. Not even on soda cans. So I think you are good to go with 3/32".
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    Miller Dynasty700DX, Dynasty350DX 2ea., Dynasty200DX, ThermalArc 400 GTSW, LincolnSW200 2ea., MillerMatic350P, MillerMatic200 with spoolgun, MKCobraMig260, Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm 1250

The only benefit that I see to a smaller tungsten for a beginner (Unless you are doing incredibly thin material) Is that it costs less than 3/32 and every penny counts when you are starting out.

I believe steel/stainless lend themselves to small filler. 1/16, or even .045 are useful. Aluminum you want as big a filler as functions for you. Sticking 3/32 into a puddle chills it nicely. Big metal warrants big filler. I keep 1/8 4943 Hobart Maxal but only use it on big stuff.

I would have 1/8" tungsten for any aluminum over 180 amps.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Hey all- thanks for the great replies! I have noticed a clicking sound as the big rod quenches the puddle that I don't remember as obvious before. I picked up some 1/16 70s6 at the LWS yesterday and will give it a try on the exhaust pipe.