stretching a trailer.
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

stretching a trailer.

Ok this is a first for me. A friend of mine who does Excavating had this trailer and bought a another machine so he wanted to be able to haul his skid loader and Mini Excavator although he couldn't fit both on the trailer comfortable. So he started looking at a new trailer and final came up with the idea to stretch the trailer and add another axle to make it a tri axle.

Name:  IMG_1239.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  369.8 KBName:  IMG_1240.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  176.9 KBName:  IMG_1241.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  201.6 KBName:  IMG_1242.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  184.6 KBName:  IMG_1243.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  124.0 KB

Re: stretching a trailer.

When I see truck frames stretched, they splice the frames with the cuts being angled. Are trailer frames different?

Wow, that's really cool project. How did you get that sucker placed upside down in there ?

forklift ?

Ceiling seems too low for a gantry crane.
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    When I see truck frames stretched, they splice the frames with the cuts being angled. Are trailer frames different?
    Personally, I've never seen anyone stretch a trailer frame, but automotive / truck frames were always stepped with fish plates. I was under the impression that vertical welds would crack over time, which is why they step the frames, minimizing stress on that lower section of frame where it's welded. Then again, I was only observing.
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Real nice looking work and like others just have questions why you did it there. To me, it seems like right in front of the axle seems some of the largest stresses because it’s unsupported until it get to the truck ball. I could see maybe right in front of the front axle hanger so the new axle would set on the new beam but just wondering what your thought process was. Very ambition project, keep it up

Brett

Edit

I’d also consider a torque tube and maybe some supports on the bottom of the beam. I have a 30k rated 35+5 tandem dual and could get pics to describe but when these start getting so long it puts a lot of stress on things

Brett

A torque tube would probably be a good idea and I likely would have run a new side rail from the front corner back a to or three crossmembers from the rear mainframe cut. A couple re-enforcement straps on the bottom flange at the main frame joints might be warranted as well.

Keep the photos coming.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Quote Originally Posted by T man View Post
    Wow, that's really cool project. How did you get that sucker placed upside down in there ?

forklift ?

Ceiling seems too low for a gantry crane.

My neighbor has a Lull and I have a fork lift.

Quote Originally Posted by rustyshakelford View Post
    Real nice looking work and like others just have questions why you did it there. To me, it seems like right in front of the axle seems some of the largest stresses because it’s unsupported until it get to the truck ball. I could see maybe right in front of the front axle hanger so the new axle would set on the new beam but just wondering what your thought process was. Very ambition project, keep it up

Brett

Edit

I’d also consider a torque tube and maybe some supports on the bottom of the beam. I have a 30k rated 35+5 tandem dual and could get pics to describe but when these start getting so long it puts a lot of stress on things

Brett

I cut the frame about 4 feet in front of the first axle. I added 72" and that was the half way point. I got everything lined up and then put a same crown in the trailer. I put a 5/16 gap and put a backing plate in so it would be a full pen weld. The plate on the back is 8x11. I welded the flange on one side and ground out to weld and again did a full pen weld. I have seen truck frames cut on a angle although I just saw a 36" beam 65' long spliced together and it was approved by an engineer. I also which I don't have a picture of strapped the bottom flange I used a 1/2 X 3" bar and full welded it. I hope it works. I would like to see some pictures of the torque tube.

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    A torque tube would probably be a good idea and I likely would have run a new side rail from the front corner back a to or three crossmembers from the rear mainframe cut. A couple re-enforcement straps on the bottom flange at the main frame joints might be warranted as well.

Keep the photos coming.
    I did strap the bottom flange. I used 1/2 X 3" and welded it from one end to the other. I will take some pictures although I have issues with my phone taking them sideways! I put them on my computer and then rotate them. Although the picture of the trailer upside down I thought I should have just sent it that would have drove everyone crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd496 View Post
    I cut the frame about 4 feet in front of the first axle. I added 72" and that was the half way point. I got everything lined up and then put a same crown in the trailer. I put a 5/16 gap and put a backing plate in so it would be a full pen weld. The plate on the back is 8x11. I welded the flange on one side and ground out to weld and again did a full pen weld. I have seen truck frames cut on a angle although I just saw a 36" beam 65' long spliced together and it was approved by an engineer. I also which I don't have a picture of strapped the bottom flange I used a 1/2 X 3" bar and full welded it. I hope it works. I would like to see some pictures of the torque tube.
    Here’s the torque tube. It’s huge. Like I said this is a 30k Trailer with tandem 15k elec/hyd disc brakes. Build very heavy and weights 10k unloaded. I carry my big tractor with 15’ batwing on it usually.

Brett
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Looks awesome. Got pix of it loaded and back on the road ?

Here’s the torque tube. It’s huge. Like I said this is a 30k Trailer with tandem 15k elec/hyd disc brakes. Build very heavy and weights 10k unloaded. I carry my big tractor with 15’ batwing on it usually.

Brett
    This is another first for me! Never saw a trailer with a torque tube before. Looks good thanks for the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by T man View Post
    Looks awesome. Got pix of it loaded and back on the road ?
    Not yet! Soon.

An interesting mod for sure - looks pretty good overall to me.

Looking at your trailer and it's intended uses, I don't think there is a perfect spot to cut it.

I stretched a 1 ton chassis (over 20 years ago) to build a roll back wrecker. Same issue, no great place to cut so just did the best I could.

I think your included 1/2" lower strap is a good idea - wish I would have thought of it back then.

I'm no expert on trailer design so I won't speculate on if the beams will be strong enough for this use or if a torque tube is needed.

I like your described use of backer plates for properly gapped, full penetration welds.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd496 View Post
    This is another first for me! Never saw a trailer with a torque tube before. Looks good thanks for the pictures.
    They are standard once you get to a certain length of Trailer for most manufactures and an option on the shorter ones that don’t have it standard. It helps with the twisting of it. If you and the owner decide to explore adding it let me know what else you need. I can measure or get more pics.

Brett

They are standard once you get to a certain length of Trailer for most manufactures and an option on the shorter ones that don’t have it standard. It helps with the twisting of it. If you and the owner decide to explore adding it let me know what else you need. I can measure or get more pics.

Brett
    Thank you!

Here are some more pictures. I plugged the large light holes and drilled for the smaller lights. I also took a picture of the bottom flange with the strap I used. I didn't weld the last 12" I wanted to wait until I have the spring hanger installed to finish welding.

Name:  IMG_1249.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  133.7 KBName:  IMG_1250.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  152.4 KBName:  IMG_1251.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  124.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    An interesting mod for sure - looks pretty good overall to me.

Looking at your trailer and it's intended uses, I don't think there is a perfect spot to cut it.

I stretched a 1 ton chassis (over 20 years ago) to build a roll back wrecker. Same issue, no great place to cut so just did the best I could.

I think your included 1/2" lower strap is a good idea - wish I would have thought of it back then.

I'm no expert on trailer design so I won't speculate on if the beams will be strong enough for this use or if a torque tube is needed.

I like your described use of backer plates for properly gapped, full penetration welds.
    Thanks. I got to the point I was done talking about it and ready to cut it apart. I thought I looked at every trailer possible and then someone shows me a trailer with a torque tube!

Looks good.
    At some point a guys just gota get a real truck and trailer. I prefer the t800