Newbie from Tennessee
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Newbie from Tennessee

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Lotos Mig175 welder with the intention of making some non critical welds to build a rowing/fishing frame for my raft! I'm big in to trout fishing and work as a mechanical engineer (not a mechanic!). My understanding of welding and many expectations from a "mechanical" engineer is sometimes embarrassing but I am looking forward to learning. Hoping to get some time in our pipe shops at work and learn first hand from the pros.
    Picked up a lot of steel and aluminum to start practicing on today so let the journey begin!

Thanks,
    Travis

Re: Newbie from Tennessee

Welcome to the forum.

Where in Tennessee?

Post some project pictures and questions to get some good help here.
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 120

10FtDrillBit.com

East TN, Tri-cities area currently. I will certainly be posting pics and such! Probably going to start with a cart build!

I should probably make a post for this separately but anyone had trouble getting AirGas Cylinders filled at other gas retailers (Holston Gasses around here)? I did a cylinder exchange there for a 60CF and they just gave me one of theirs. Their price for 60CF argon was ~$60 where some local places do ~$35 for an 80CF.

Welcome!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE 100% DUTY CYCLE
    DAD SAYS, "IF YA AIN'T GONNA USE YOUR HEAD, YOU BOUT AS WELL HAVE TWO A$$HOLES."
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Quote Originally Posted by TroutTravis View Post
    East TN, Tri-cities area currently. I will certainly be posting pics and such! Probably going to start with a cart build!

I should probably make a post for this separately but anyone had trouble getting AirGas Cylinders filled at other gas retailers (Holston Gasses around here)? I did a cylinder exchange there for a 60CF and they just gave me one of theirs. Their price for 60CF argon was ~$60 where some local places do ~$35 for an 80CF.
    Holston is a good place to deal with. They may have charged a little to exchange the Airgas cylinder since they will have to deal with it. I had to go through a small guy that deals with several gas companies to get all my cylinders to Holston label. That costs me about 50% more but now with all Holston, they are by far cheaper and easier to do business with than Airgas. Spend a little time getting to know them and you should save money.
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 120

10FtDrillBit.com

Quote Originally Posted by wb4rt View Post
    Holston is a good place to deal with. They may have charged a little to exchange the Airgas cylinder since they will have to deal with it. I had to go through a small guy that deals with several gas companies to get all my cylinders to Holston label. That costs me about 50% more but now with all Holston, they are by far cheaper and easier to do business with than Airgas. Spend a little time getting to know them and you should save money.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence! I have had more trouble picking/sourcing cylinders than deciding on a dang welder!