New guy
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: New guy

New guy

Hello all. I've been interested in starting to learn how to weld for a few years but never really got around to actually trying it out until I found a used Campbell Hausfeld flux core mig 115v. I know it's an underpowered machine but I don't have the option for a 220v st this time. I did do some practice welds on some 1/8" and 3/16" steel which will be 99% of my projects anyway. I'm working on an old 1991 Hurst 20+5 Gooseneck. Going to weld some 3/8" D-rings that have a "5000lb"working load. They have a 1/8" piece that secures it. These will only be used for light cargo. Lumber and whatnot. For vehicles I'm looking at some of the recessed D-rings and putting the front 2 bolts through the frame to make it more secure.

I was using the cursive e method on most of these

A step that I made for my trailer. It'll be going on the drivers side right at the front.

An my 11 ram 2500 sitting on 37s the day I picked the trailer up. It had no brakes, faulty wiring and the dovetail was falling apart.

Re: New guy

Welcome! IMO you will need a bigger welder.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

I know. I can't modify the house I'm at now and the dryer is in the basement and would need over 100' extension cord to reach the garage.

Welcome.

Nothing wrong with starting out with a small machine, just keep your expectations and projects realistic.

Personally if the joint was anything that could cause damage or injury if it failed, I wouldn't trust that welder with 3/16" material until I had made and tested some mock joints with 3/16" material. I've tested 120V flux core welders that got good penetration on 3/16", and one that was borderline too weak for 1/8". Yours might be fine, but just a thought.

I tested it on a scrap 3/16 I had. Seemed to get good penetration. I picked up a 2x48x3/16 piece of steel from home depot. Going to cut a few pieces and practice welding the joint. Then I'm going to cut them in half, polish and use some naval jelly to inspect the weld and see how it looks. The 1.5x1/8 angle I welded for the step did great. Haven't attached it to the trailer yet but the joints feel solid. Of course I hit every spot where the pieces connected to each other
    Last edited by Smokeshow87; 05-16-2018 at 09:59 AM.

Tested some more 3/16 welding. I cut 2 45s in the 2" wide 3/16" steel. Welded it back together then cut it in half

And these are the rings that are going in the trailer. I have 10 of them

Ok, who is making the popcorn? . If you only have 110v, 3/32 stick electrode and something like the AHP160 is a much better option.
    Post your location, maybe someone is close and can help you out. If nothing else, preheat the crap out of the part and base metal.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

We all can't have 220v top of the line welders. For what I'm doing this machine is adequate. It will get the job done. Once I move back to my hometown and buy my own place i would be able to get a dedicated 220v outlet in my garage. Until then i know the limitations of this welder. I was already planning on preheating the metal prior to welding them on.

One of my buddies pretty much gave me his welder last night. It's another Campbell hausfeld 115v mig with a bottle of C25. But the regulator has no gauges. I tried it out on some 3/16 steel. It's going to take some practice to get used to it.
    Last edited by Smokeshow87; 05-26-2018 at 04:10 AM.

Started messing with the new welder. Was running into issues. Was popping and sputtering. Turns out the polarity was wrong. Got that fixed and was running alittle better. Got some advice from another welder to recheck the wire roller tension and to lower the wire feed speed. Did that and it made a huge difference. Now my biggest issue is the gas regulator. It works but theres no gauge. And the lubber push on hose tends to leak and it gets worse when I try to use the hose clamp.

Tried going to all the local welding shops and due to the holiday weekend they were all closed so I tried a local chain store and picked up a new regulator.

So now I have to find a way to adapt the new regulator and hose to the machine. I may just take everything to the welding shop and see what they recommend.
    But I tried a few new things. I tood my angle grinder with a 40 grit sanding disk and cleaned up the 3/16" steel, lowered the wfs to 2.5(inside cover says 3.5 for 3/16") plugged the machine in directly into the wall outlet. Was using a 25' heavy duty extension cord before. Coming out way better. I have a cheap home depot auto darkening hood and I can't see anything when I go to start. Finding myself treat it more like a standard hood where I put it up to line up then drop it right before I start
    The bottom corner weld is 2 passes. I missed the corner some so I went back over it

I returned the other regulator and ordered one that has the 1/4" barbed hose connector. Should be able to get it more dialed in now.

I attempted to weld a 2" reciever on the top plate of my trailer this afternoon. Metal was fully cleaned, using. 035" wire, gas at 25cfm since I was outside. It wasn't windy just a very slight breeze. Had the voltage all the way up. Played with the wire speed but couldn't get it to spark. The wire just melted as soon at it came in contact with the base metal. Didnt have my phone to take any pictures. I also have 2 1/2" bolts going through the receiver and frame for added strength. But need to get a good weld around it.

Where are you located?
    Gina M. Tabasso
    HGR Industrial Surplus
    gtabasso@hgrinc.com
    www.hgrinc.com

Minot, ND