New guy
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: New guy

New guy

Hello all. I've been interested in starting to learn how to weld for a few years but never really got around to actually trying it out until I found a used Campbell Hausfeld flux core mig 115v. I know it's an underpowered machine but I don't have the option for a 220v st this time. I did do some practice welds on some 1/8" and 3/16" steel which will be 99% of my projects anyway. I'm working on an old 1991 Hurst 20+5 Gooseneck. Going to weld some 3/8" D-rings that have a "5000lb"working load. They have a 1/8" piece that secures it. These will only be used for light cargo. Lumber and whatnot. For vehicles I'm looking at some of the recessed D-rings and putting the front 2 bolts through the frame to make it more secure.

I was using the cursive e method on most of these

A step that I made for my trailer. It'll be going on the drivers side right at the front.

An my 11 ram 2500 sitting on 37s the day I picked the trailer up. It had no brakes, faulty wiring and the dovetail was falling apart.

Re: New guy

Welcome! IMO you will need a bigger welder.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC MIG/STICK/TIG
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE 100% DUTY CYCLE
    DAD SAYS, "IF YA AIN'T GONNA USE YOUR HEAD, YOU BOUT AS WELL HAVE TWO A$$HOLES."
    GOD BLESS AMERICA!

I know. I can't modify the house I'm at now and the dryer is in the basement and would need over 100' extension cord to reach the garage.

Welcome.

Nothing wrong with starting out with a small machine, just keep your expectations and projects realistic.

Personally if the joint was anything that could cause damage or injury if it failed, I wouldn't trust that welder with 3/16" material until I had made and tested some mock joints with 3/16" material. I've tested 120V flux core welders that got good penetration on 3/16", and one that was borderline too weak for 1/8". Yours might be fine, but just a thought.

I tested it on a scrap 3/16 I had. Seemed to get good penetration. I picked up a 2x48x3/16 piece of steel from home depot. Going to cut a few pieces and practice welding the joint. Then I'm going to cut them in half, polish and use some naval jelly to inspect the weld and see how it looks. The 1.5x1/8 angle I welded for the step did great. Haven't attached it to the trailer yet but the joints feel solid. Of course I hit every spot where the pieces connected to each other
    Last edited by Smokeshow87; 05-16-2018 at 09:59 AM.