How to mix helium and argon
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

How to mix helium and argon

I'm getting into 1/4" to 3/4" aluminum and need to mix some helium with the argon. What do I need as far as gauges and flow meters? How do you combine the two gases to one welder?

Re: How to mix helium and argon

You buy an older Smith (Pre ITW) gas mixer for Argon Helium and hook it up.

There are minimally 7,953 other ideas how to do it on the inTurdnet. NONE work like a gas mixer does.

Quote Originally Posted by PorkBarrel View Post
    I'm getting into 1/4" to 3/4" aluminum and need to mix some helium....

How do you combine the two gases to one welder?

Victor style WYE
    _____Gauntlets_____

____Genesis 4:22___

The Smith gas mixer is the only way to do it with any sort of accuracy. The wye method is just a guessing game, repeatability and accuracy are questionable at best. Otherwise, just buy the gas mix you need.

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    The Smith gas mixer is the only way to do it with any sort of accuracy. The wye method is just a guessing game, repeatability and accuracy are questionable at best. Otherwise, just buy the gas mix you need.
    "Y" method is called blending.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    Miller Dynasty700DX, Dynasty350DX 2ea., Dynasty200DX, ThermalArc 400 GTSW, LincolnSW200 2ea., MillerMatic350P, MillerMatic200 with spoolgun, MKCobraMig260, Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm 1250

Porky,

Here's how I'm set up to get some Helium blended into my Argon to help out welding heavier aluminum. All it takes is a little bit of playing around and you'll find where you want your flow meters set. Since Helium is so expensive you want to try and use as little of it as necessary.

Also, you don't need a wye connector with valves on it like you see in the picture. That's just what I already had on hand.

Name:  10 16 11 004.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  91.5 KB

If you find an argon CO2 Smith mixer, her is the conversion chart for argon helium
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; ESAB 875 plasma;Evo 355. OA

Rent a cylinder that already mixed.

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    Jody suggested getting the gas mix 50/50 that way I can utilize flow meter for both. Another one also mentioned. Thanks for all the great ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by PorkBarrel View Post
    Jody suggested getting the gas mix 50/50 that way I can utilize flow meter for both. Another one also mentioned. Thanks for all the great ideas!
    Yes. set your argon flow at your desired half, then add enough helium to flow the other half. As long as you confirm the total you should be good. Actually I go 50/50 at the flowmeters, then confirm total at the torch.

Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    Miller Dynasty700DX, Dynasty350DX 2ea., Dynasty200DX, ThermalArc 400 GTSW, LincolnSW200 2ea., MillerMatic350P, MillerMatic200 with spoolgun, MKCobraMig260, Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm 1250

Thanks. I printed and will use as reference.