Is this safe?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Is this safe?

Is this safe?

Name:  20180516_121745.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  88.2 KB

Bought these stands for my full sized van. They seem to be a bit tall for my car even with a floor jack. Tried this today changing oil and it felt stable, but sketched me out so I just threw some bricks under the tires to get room to be comfortable. But this weekend I'm changing a tie rod end and want something safe and stable.

It seemed stable and supportive, but there was just a voice in my head saying ehh mayby not. Didn't damage the car at all

On a side note, how taboo is it to just toss the wheel under the frame doing brakes since your not fully under the car. I am just a home gamer and that's what I was taught. Don't do it if I'm actually under the car.

Re: Is this safe?

Jack stands like that have been around for 40+ years. Yes, they are very safe as long as you place them in the appropriate locations.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

The rocks under the tires won't help much if stand failed because the suspension will allow the car to come down several inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Zubrenic View Post

Bought these stands for my full sized van. They seem to be a bit tall for my car even with a floor jack. Tried this today changing oil and it felt stable, but sketched me out so I just threw some bricks under the tires to get room to be comfortable. But this weekend I'm changing a tie rod end and want something safe and stable.

It seemed stable and supportive, but there was just a voice in my head saying ehh mayby not. Didn't damage the car at all

On a side note, how taboo is it to just toss the wheel under the frame doing brakes since your not fully under the car. I am just a home gamer and that's what I was taught. Don't do it if I'm actually under the car.
    Since you have one of those low profile jacks, why not raise the jack up by supporting it with 2x12 lumber, get the truck high up enough in the air so that the stands can be used properly. The reason the stands have those "y" shaped heads on the riser tongue is so that the vehicle can't move laterally when supported on the frame.

It would also give you better clearance under the vehicle by raising it up the height of those "Y" heads.

Or if you don't feel comfortable with the jack sitting on top of the blocks, make some square blocks, nailed together, and place them on top of the jack, then jack the vehicle up with the wood between the jack and frame. This "temporarily" will give you the increased height you need to get the stands under there with their tongue in place as they were designed.

You can leave the jack under the front as well, creating a 3rd point of support.
    T man.

15 + years working for myself, and by golly, I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up.

Be a whole lot safer if the jackstand base was sitting on an 18" square of 3/4 plywood, or even a 1/4 steel plate.
    On blacktop the legs can sink into the pavement and the jackstand can tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    Be a whole lot safer if the jackstand base was sitting on an 18" square of 3/4 plywood, or even a 1/4 steel plate.
    I had that happen back in the 80's. I was 16 and didn't know any better...
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Ky farmer View Post
    The rocks under the tires won't help much if stand failed because the suspension will allow the car to come down several inches.
    The blocks were actually there because I was lowering down onto them to get a few inches of wiggle room to change the oil more comfortably, this pic was in the proccess of taking the car off the stands and putting it onto the blocks.

Oddly enough I have had alot more problems with jacks sinking in than stands. I had a "quick" brake job where I left the car on the jack with the wheel under the suspension in case it failed that ended up sitting over night and the jack had sank so far it wouldnt lift the car high enough to get the wheel out.

Quote Originally Posted by T man View Post
    Or if you don't feel comfortable with the jack sitting on top of the blocks, make some square blocks, nailed together, and place them on top of the jack, then jack the vehicle up with the wood between the jack and frame. This "temporarily" will give you the increased height you need to get the stands under there with their tongue in place as they were designed.

You can leave the jack under the front as well, creating a 3rd point of support.
    I think i could get it high enough if I can find a good way to get under the control arm with the jack. Today I was lifting by a cross member but it put the jack right under the oil pan.

Since I am only doing one side tommorow, is it good to only lift one side that high and place it on a stand? or do I need to keep it level and lift the whole front together?

Its an old subaru not a jeep with a ton of suspension travel.

This if you need to raise a vehicle but not remove a wheel.
    Much easier than a jack and jackstands and safer too!

https://www.target.com/p/hopkins-rhi...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Oddly enough I have had alot more problems with jacks sinking in than stands. I had a "quick" brake job where I left the car on the jack with the wheel under the suspension in case it failed that ended up sitting over night and the jack had sank so far it wouldnt lift the car high enough to get the wheel out.

I think i could get it high enough if I can find a good way to get under the control arm with the jack. Today I was lifting by a cross member but it put the jack right under the oil pan.

Since I am only doing one side tommorow, is it good to only lift one side that high and place it on a stand? or do I need to keep it level and lift the whole front together?

Its an old subaru not a jeep with a ton of suspension travel.
    Placing a crooked car on a stand can spit them out sideways if not "hooked" into a recess.
    Same goes for raising the front. The vehicle is tipped so care is required for stand placement.
    When I was young, I had stands slide forward on the frame, and drop the car, because they didn't have a spot to "catch" the top.

Over time, I learned to grab the bumper and shake a car real hard before getting under them...
    Last edited by MinnesotaDave; 05-16-2018 at 09:38 PM.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 - Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by rexcormack View Post

I have used the old metal ones and I have never been a huge fan of them. Annoying to store. Annoying to carry around. Cant change a tire with them. Have to line them up perfectly, slide forward because you didnt sweep the wet leaves off the driveway first. I have never been confident stopping in the right spot without a spotter.

That said most of my biggest issues look like theve been solved with those ones. Nice and wide with a very positive stop on the end. Do they slide when you drive a rear wheel drive onto them?

I made mine out of 12ga with little 1.5"x1.5"x1/8" angle tabs to index the stand to the plate. About a decade of service so far.

Been using jack stands like that (or similar) for almost 50yrs, never a problem. Try to use a pc of ply under it when possible. It doesn't look like you have them extended very much either. Even though I've used everything from rocks to lumber, with these if you set them straight as possible and try and stop them from sinking into the surface, I trust them most.

Quote Originally Posted by ljdm View Post
    Been using jack stands like that (or similar) for almost 50yrs, never a problem. Try to use a pc of ply under it when possible. It doesn't look like you have them extended very much either. Even though I've used everything from rocks to lumber, with these if you set them straight as possible and try and stop them from sinking into the surface, I trust them most.
    I don't have them extended at all, in fact I took the extending part out to fit it under a low car.

I know exactly what you mean about the metal ramps. My old
    metal ramps went in my scrap pile after I got the plastic ones!
    I have a set very similar to the ones I posted and love them.
    I will never use the metal ones ever again.

The only time I have had an issue was because my shop has vinyl on the floor(long story).
    I was trying to drive a rear wheel drive car on them and they just scooted across the floor.
    I've never had them move on concrete or dirt. Front wheel drive cars go right up even on the vinyl floor.

The ones I posted are slightly better than mine in that they nest together when not in use so
    they only take up the room of one ramp.

I've used mine on everything from '69 VW beetle to a 2000 Ford Super Duty with the Powerstroke diesel!
    Never had one moments concern.

Quote Originally Posted by rexcormack View Post

Doesn't look good to me; better to raise the vehicle higher with the jack, use wood blocks if needed to get height, then use the jack stands as intended without removing the insert.

[QUOTE=Max Zubrenic;8617131]

[QUOTE]

Yes you can just lift one corner if that is all you need to work on. This past week end I replaced a grease seal of the front left rotor of my truck. I just put a hydraulic bottle jack under the "A" frame and jacked it up enough to get the tire only an inch or so off the ground. Then removed the wheel, caliper, & rotor, replaced the seal added some more grease to it and put everything back together. The truck didn't seem to mind that I only lifted the one wheel. I think he knew I was only there to help him out with the leaky seal and never complained or try to fidget around while I did what I had to do.

Looks kind of sketchy to me, aside from the asphalt, that stand isn't designed to be used that way and could slip or damage the undercarriage of the car. Is that the proper support point? Usually it's at the pinchweld in the rear. Not a setup I would feel comfortable with at home, and if I caught one of my people at work doing that, he'd be doing the safety dance for sure.
    Last edited by lotek; 05-20-2018 at 10:25 AM.