Trailblazer to Run House
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Trailblazer to Run House

Good evening,

I am kicking around .. ( for the last 6 months) on buying a Miller Trailblazer 325 Diesel. Before I cut loose with $10K... I wanted to know if anyone has had any luck with using a transfer switch to power their home with 10500 Kw with machine like this? .. . I will use it for my welding business but would like to know if powering my modest home will be feasible ... any thoughts or input would be appreciated as $10K is a real chunk of change for me

Thank you for your time !!

Kell

Re: Trailblazer to Run House

That's plenty of asz for a "modest home". I had a 15 that ran an unmodest home( 2 ac units, zillion ceiling fans, three 5 hp water pumps, well pump, electronics of the day etc etc.) It cut in when the hurricanes cut me out and ran(auto) for 30 minutes once a month. What you'll quickly find is that 2-3 plus gallons per hour gets spendy real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by kjemison1966 View Post
    Good evening,

I am kicking around .. ( for the last 6 months) on buying a Miller Trailblazer 325 Diesel. Before I cut loose with $10K... I wanted to know if anyone has had any luck with using a transfer switch to power their home with 10500 Kw with machine like this? .. . I will use it for my welding business but would like to know if powering my modest home will be feasible ... any thoughts or input would be appreciated as $10K is a real chunk of change for me

Thank you for your time !!

Kell
    I can run my house off of my Miller Bobcat 225G through a transfer switch. It's an 8KW unit, and will power everything except the outside A/C compressor. If it had 10.5 KW output, it would probably handle that, too.

I have my Lincoln Ranger 9 (9kw) run my place during outages. Two fridges, deep freezer, TVs, lights (almost all house lights are LEDs), well pump, electric water heater and furnace igniter and blower. Haven't tried it with the AC yet, usually most outages we've had lately have been in the winter.

We don't have outages that often, nor do they last long enough (we're off a main hwy, so they get our area fixed pretty fast) to warrant a dedicated backup generator. But having the Ranger already for other reasons, its nice to have the ability.

My 302 Trailblazer kept me warm a few times in winter. I backfeed into my panel per code and use 6 gauge cord. I identified what I want to power and leave those breakers on. Runs 220 well, 120 furnace, house lights, refrigerator, freezers., and power to barn for lights and heat lamps. No issues ever.
    As a reminder my gasoline Trailblazer probably burns a gallon a hour fully loaded .
    If you have frequent power outages a natural gas dedicated whole house generator and auto transfer switch would be my choice . I'm glad I have mine for sure.

My house has propane water heater, stove, and furnace.

My Trailblazer PRo 350D (12KW generator) will power everything, including the well, dryer and the 3 ton HVAC system.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP