Converting a 17-style torch to gas lens
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Converting a 17-style torch to gas lens

I already have a gas lens for a 20-style water cooled torch. I recently also got a 17-style; is it true that if I can just buy a special insulator part and then I can start using the #20 gas lens and shorter cups? I thought I read it somewhere earlier but I cannot find it again... Thank you!

Re: Converting a 17-style torch to gas lens

Nope. Threads are different. Those small 20 style gas lenses are designed for water cooling anyway and foul out quickly under an aircooled torch heat at full power.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    Miller Dynasty700DX, Dynasty350DX 2ea., Dynasty200DX, ThermalArc 400 GTSW, LincolnSW200 2ea., MillerMatic350P, MillerMatic200 with spoolgun, MKCobraMig260, Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm 1250

Quote Originally Posted by manoweb View Post
    I already have a gas lens for a 20-style water cooled torch. I recently also got a 17-style; is it true that if I can just buy a special insulator part and then I can start using the #20 gas lens and shorter cups? I thought I read it somewhere earlier but I cannot find it again... Thank you!
    They do make the stubby collet bodies for the 17 style in standard and gas lens type then it will use 9-20 style cups. There was a good thread about this but we lost it in the recent forum crash.

As was mentioned I am guessing this will downgrade the torch to more along the lines of a 125 amp rating instead or a 150 because the heat has less meat between the heat and torch head to dissipate as much as with the standard long 17 style stuff.

Standard type,
    https://www.arc-zone.com/stubby-collet-body-ck-4cb

Gas lens type,
    https://www.arc-zone.com/gas-lens-collet-body-ck-4gl
    Last edited by danielplace; 05-18-2018 at 06:33 PM.

A stubby gas lense kit on a 17 will use the same cups as a 9/20 will use. But thats it nothing else would swap over from one another.

2017 Everlast Powertig 210ext
    Miller Multimatic 215

Jody sells the adapters. Weldmonger.
    Do not believe everything that you think.

Quote Originally Posted by songer121 View Post
    A stubby gas lense kit on a 17 will use the same cups as a 9/20 will use. But thats it nothing else would swap over from one another.
    You can't use a long 17 (3 series) collet in a stubby adapter nor the 17 type insulator. Everything changes except the torch body and the back cover.

It will use all 9/20 (4 series) everything once you swap in the stub collet body or a stubby gas lens collet body except back cap.
    The collet, insulator seal and the cups will all be 9/20 type if you use stubby kit in the 17 (3 series) torch.

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    You can't use a long 17 (3 series) collet in a stubby adapter nor the 17 type insulator. Everything changes except the torch body and the back cover.

It will use all 9/20 (4 series) everything once you swap in the stub collet body or a stubby gas lens collet body except back cap.
    The collet, insulator seal and the cups will all be 9/20 type if you use stubby kit in the 17 (3 series) torch.
    Im not sure what your talking about, did you not read my comment lol?? and no you can not use a 9/20 insulator, collet or collet body aka gas lense on a 17 torch? They are completely different size torch heads.... i have both of these torches right in front of me as im typing this so either we are talking about two different things or you dont know what youre talking about.... the cups are the only thing that switch over. the rest of the components are to small to fit a 17 torch....

Miller Multimatic 215

just buy this: https://weldmongerstore.com/collecti...y-gas-lens-kit as a starter and your good to go.

Miller Multimatic 215