Longevity Model 100 Mig
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Longevity Model 100 Mig

About 4 years ago I purchased this Longevity Model 100 mig welder.Yes it is the least expensive however before purchasing something further up the ladder I wanted to see if I enjoyed welding.First I made myself a welding table.Next a cart to tote it around my garage. It has performed well and I will say that my flux core welds have improved greatly.However, I was welding a muffler and the end of the wire coming out of the handle was hot.I cannot remember for the life of me if the stick out is supposed to be hot all the time.This has me puzzled. I dismantled the handle and found a red and blue wire.They run to the wire feed motor. Nothing else. It still welds good for an inexpensive unit.Anyway I just thought that someone could put my mind at ease.Thanks, Ken BTW, I have since elevated to using a Lincoln Pro 140 Mig with gas.

Re: Longevity Model 100 Mig

call longevity service and ask them, thats what they are for, if they even know..lol

Hobb, So I took your advice and called Longevity.So after he looked it up, I was told that this is the way that it was designed. Nothing wrong with it. I could have sworn that when I released the trigger it stopped the current to the wire. Thanks for your reply. BTW,It still welds great for an inexpensive flux core welder.Ken

Earlier model harbor freights were the same way, the lead was always hot. Your model looks similar so I would assume it's normal.
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    2015 AHP Tig
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    ViperMig 180
    Razorweld, SSC Foot Pedal & MK Products & Atlas Positioner Dealer

Yes I have read about this topic being always hot. The first thing that I did was replace the ground clamp. The wire feed works great. I have put about 4 spools of wire .030 through it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Longevit...0130/205219111
    Last edited by Kenskip1; 06-01-2018 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenskip1 View Post
    Hobb, So I took your advice and called Longevity.So after he looked it up, I was told that this is the way that it was designed. Nothing wrong with it. I could have sworn that when I released the trigger it stopped the current to the wire. Thanks for your reply. BTW,It still welds great for an inexpensive flux core welder.Ken
    glad you got your answer, most times I goto the source( manufacture) to find out a technical question..I would hope they know since they designed and built it, that goes for all brands...