Skyhook CW-200LE (Miller Blue Charger 200LE) refurb need help
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Skyhook CW-200LE (Miller Blue Charger 200LE) refurb need help

Hi folks! I recently took a gamble on a trade and acquired a SkyHook CW-200LE. Best I can tell, it’s just a rebranded blue charger. The engine is a 16 hp Onan model CCKA spec MS/3718J and serial E800500667. Electric start, manual choke. The face plate says it was made by Miller for Baldwin Ward Mfg in Ottawa, Kansas.

This appears to be the correct manual for the unit: https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow...s/O425_MIL.pdf

The plan is to do a functional refurb which is turning out to be quite a task. The first thing I found was the choke butterfly is completely siezed up. Everything else was nice and free. The carb is currently soaking in Marvel Mystery Oil. I’ll need a new gasket set and hopefully a rebuild kit.

The PO removed the air cleaner for some reason and since then managed to pepper the unit with small pieces of broken concrete. As you can imagine, some of that mess ended up in the intake manifold. Great... the combination intake/exhaust manifold came off without much fight. One bolt needed some penetrating oil and a little heat but freed up quick enough. Hallelujah! None of the crap made it into the engine!

Removing the gen panels revealed a literal rodents nest. I got most all their bedding out but am seriously considering power washing the base to clean up the remaining inch of oil, poop, and fabric stuck in places. No surprise there though...

Finally, the front panel. Two broken switches, ignition is missing, and someone did their own wiring mods back there. Yup, needs TLC. Having more info or a second unit to reference would help a lot with that.

Otherwise I’ve started wire brushing contact pads and connection points. I’m sure it’s going to be a PITA but if I get it working for $250 or less I will be very happy.

Things I need help finding:
    -Parts/Repair Manual
    -Wiring diagram
    -carb rebuild kit
    -carb to intake manifold gasket
    -intake/exhaust manifold gaskets
    -correct front panel replacement switches (as in SPDT or whatnot)
    -another carb (long shot!)
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Re: Skyhook CW-200LE (Miller Blue Charger 200LE) refurb need help

Looks very similar to an AEAD 200 machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

I'd very seriously rethink the POWER WASHING idea on the base.

Simple Green + some elbow grease possibly followed by a flowing water rinse yes, but power washing NO WAY in hell.

As far as I can tell it is the same as an AEAD 200LE charger (no AC weld on this unit). Best guess is it’s an 83/84 model based on info found elsewhere on this site. Carb turned out to be a Walbro LUA from a Cub Cadet date stamped 4-80. I wonder if the PO swapped the carb with the one on his Onan powered Cub that he mentioned fixing up. I can’t find any evidence this carb could/would have been stock. I’d be happy to be wrong though. That would mean I potentially spend less money!

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil5 View Post
    I'd very seriously rethink the POWER WASHING idea on the base.

Simple Green + some elbow grease possibly followed by a flowing water rinse yes, but power washing NO WAY in hell.
    Was my frustration apparent? I’m not that crazy! But I do have a tendency to say outlandish things when I’m frustrated with inanimate objects and covered in poo.

Good news is that I havent found any wires chewed through their casing. I did find one set with some teeth marks on the outer insulation but the inner wires and rubber were unharmed.

Other good news is that I found the gaskets and a carb rebuild kit for all LUA models. I’ll try the Walbro and see what happens. Choke is still seized mostly shut with zero mobility so far. I just unscrewed the butterfly dor now.

Any pics of your machine ?

Did the pics in the first post not work for you?

Small amount of progress: Got the manifold cleared of debris, mating surfaces cleaned up, and manifold reinstalled with new gaskets. Carb spent a week in MMO and the choke is still 97% stuck. Trying a carb cleaner soak now.

Got an old crock pot?
    Best carb cleaner I found yet - far superior to UT- is a couple days in HOT 160°+ strong Simple Green solution.
    Cleans carb parts & bodies a hell of a lot better than all the Gilbert Chemistry Set rattle cans.

Last best hope will be Kroil when all else fails.

The carb is perfectly clean at this point and has been rebuilt. Despite this, the choke is still pretty much totally siezed up. It is what it is at this point. I’ll probably cave and buy a new upper section to the Walbro and choke rod if I absolutely need to choke it on start up.

Currently waiting on the carb spacer to manifold gasket. Part # 141-0078 in case anyone else ever needs it.

Other than the above, a couple switches, and clearing out/replacing the petcock, it’s almost ready to run. Oh yeah, the wiring too! Still trying to figure out where the battery used to connect to even though I found where the battery tray used to be. So maybe two more hours work until the first run attempt.

Update: Ignore the optimism of the above post. Got sent an incorrect gasket for the unit for the nth time. Literally no parts store stocks this part. I’ve looked item by item. Plus it’s not on the factory parts diagrams because it seems there are NO parts diagrams with Onan twins and Walbro Lua carbs.

Now I’m pissed because I am wasting way too much time on what should be a $2 part. Ordering gasket material, making my own. What a PITA this thing has been and it’s not even close to running yet.
    Last edited by chris937; 06-19-2018 at 06:16 PM.

No pics

Hang in there you'll get it dialed in there good machines and weld sweet .

Also check Onanparts .com and eBay has parts from time to time .