Getting It Done, New Main Panel - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Getting It Done, New Main Panel

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    I think he means how are they going to do a nice job and install the siding properly and easily with the riser and straps in the way.

Even the LB and all that I also would have thought you would want to do after the siding. So you can hole saw through it and it be nice and neat.

That won't make it a lot more difficult to do a proper job on the siding ?

Are you just trying to get power released to new service without a final so you can use it for temp power ?
    There are 1 1/4" thick blocks of stainless steel bolted into the counterbored surface into the house and then the two hole straps bolt to the threaded holes in the stainless steel blocks. At the top, I chiseled in a quarter inch stainless steel plate and there is another on the inside as well to sandwich the three timbers together. I made the blocks with my son on a drill press, using a counterbore, drills and a tap for the lower blocks. The top block has two half inch through holes right through the house.

Name:  topmastmount.png
Views: 88
Size:  1.69 MB

Name:  topmastmount2.png
Views: 89
Size:  1.29 MB

Name:  StainlessSteelMount.png
Views: 88
Size:  373.8 KB

It is an easy thing to jay channel around the blocks, and we can have power until we are ready to side.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    Last edited by William McCormick; 06-10-2018 at 07:37 AM.
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

This is a picture of the top mount it is chiseled into the wood.

Name:  ChiseledPlate.png
Views: 85
Size:  148.3 KB

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

The lower blocks are 1 1/4" thick, and the lowest block is 1 7/8" thick. The hub exits the meter pan at a different level than at the top of the meter pan.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

I was already checking out your strapping blocks you made. Nice job.
    Thanks for showing full detail.
    I have a lot of appreciation for a job well done.

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    That number one aluminum wire is not current limited, that is why it works. If you put a 200 amp circuit breaker at the pole it would not work.

I do not know if you have ever seen an old drop do the bandolero firecracker thing. But it is pretty impressive it can go for hours. The snap you get is not like the snap you get after a 200 amp breaker. After the breaker can be bad, but different from before the breaker.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    Oh definitely unfused anything is capable of putting on a show. The #1 aluminum is the current limiter and that is precisely why it is used. Rather than have load side protection they use wire that doesn't have enough in it to take out the transformer if something goes to ground or phase to phase. The protection for that is the transformers primary fuse that would be blown if the fault didn't clear itself from the excessive current available.

Not being current limited does nothing to keep the voltage at 240 when/if you ever had a 200 amp draw.

It all depends on how long the drop is and if it is even going straight to a transformer and not just lines strung on the poles with the transformer several doors down that will determine just how bad the voltage will drop under a full load.

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    Oh definitely unfused anything is capable of putting on a show. The #1 aluminum is the current limiter and that is precisely why it is used. Rather than have load side protection they use wire that doesn't have enough in it to take out the transformer if something goes to ground or phase to phase. The protection for that is the transformers primary fuse that would be blown if the fault didn't clear itself from the excessive current available.

Not being current limited does nothing to keep the voltage at 240 when/if you ever had a 200 amp draw.

It all depends on how long the drop is and if it is even going straight to a transformer and not just lines strung on the poles with the transformer several doors down that will determine just how bad the voltage will drop under a full load.
    I believe the service drop is 1/0 or 0 wire. That wire will deliver a minimum sustained amperage up over 14,000 amps at 240 volts, if the transformer could deliver it. The resistance on that wire is not even a tenth of an ohm more like 1/100th of an ohm at that distance. That means it can deliver serious power. But put that same wire after a breaker and you cannot go too far because of the voltage drop created by the current limiting device, the breaker or fuse. Once you combine the two resistances, the amperage draw allowed through that wire actually adds to voltage drop caused by the breaker or fuse.

Wire is a capacitor and a conductor. If your wire is too large after a breaker or fuse, and it is powering an inductive load, you can pop your breaker or fuse. We fooled around with this a lot because I have hooked up so many of my friend's welders, compressors, and heavy machinery over the years I have gotten to see first hand the too large a wire phenomena. Many an electrician did not know this is possible. After they see it and think about it, it makes sense. The same is true of too small a wire, amperage draw goes up in both cases while powering an induction load.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Connected up the new panel today, and my son then made quick work of the old breaker box, wire, and mast. We are ready to side the house now. My son and daughter in law took me out for a great breakfast, then we worked and then my daughter in law who is seven months pregnant, had dinner waiting for us when we were done. What a great day. God was good to me today.

Name:  Meterinstalled.png
Views: 43
Size:  1.35 MB

Name:  Removingmast.png
Views: 43
Size:  1,021.4 KB

Sincerely,

William McCormick